A few thoughts on DCI then, now, & future...

To me this is not really about like vs. dislike. It is about current DCI sense of purpose (or conflict thereof). If DCI's 'primary' focus is having each corps prove to the judges how much their 'students' know about musical pedagogy and education, and that is what is heavily rewarded by the judges, then fine; if DCI's 'primary' focus is on is having each corps prove to the judges how much their performers progress the artistic direction and push the envelope of genre experimentation, and that is what is heavily rewarded by the judges, then fine. Just do not call it Marching Music's Major League or Summer Music Games and pretend that it is anywhere close to being a sports-like competitive 'Entertainment' organization geared toward enticing the fans to pay big bucks to see/listen. This would be akin to the NCAA Final Four Basketball Tournament giving a large number of points to the team on the court which did the greatest research on the newest understanding of Sports Psychology and then read their dissertation in front of the fans during the game while expecting the fans to pay big bucks to watch/listen. That is the current philosophical conflict DCI has created for itself. DCI needs to either start focusing on heavily rewarding the aspects which entertain, not educate, 'the fans', or DCI needs to accept the fact that if the judging focus is on heavily rewarding musical pedagogy progressing the artistic form with esoteric intellectualism it will never be financially or audience supported like the NCAA Div I Basketball Tournament or the NCAA Football Bowl Games crowning the NCAA Football Champion.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Entertainment is and ALWAYS will be a secondary or even tertiary mission for DCI. It is first and foremost an educational organization. I don't know why people don't get this, even though DCI officials say it over and over again. The experience of the people on the field will always come before the people in the stands, and that is how it should be. They (or their parents) are paying far more than 99.9% of the people in the stands ever will on the activity.

The same is true of school music programs. They aren't there to entertain the general public. They are there to provide invaluable educational opportunities to students. It would be a travesty if music programs were shut down because people weren't entertained enough by high school band concerts.

If DCI is first and foremost an educational organization, why are they renting NFL stadiums and taking million dollar national tours? Do you think those things are somehow requirements to provide high quality marching music education?

First off, using the word "gay" as a pejorative is makes you look like an idiot. If my 13-year-old nephew can refrain, a "music end" major can do so as well.

Sorry, back on topic.

I came back from the theater show last night. Saw the top 8 (work demands kept me from coming in sooner) and had a blast.

When the lady-friend and I bought tickets, both of the HS-aged kids at the box office talked our ears off about how cool drum corps is (one was in a non-competitive marching band, the other was a regular band kid). Seriously, these kids would not shut up. It was awesome.

Theater wasn't full, but there were way more people than the last time I went in 2009. I'd say about 50-plus people (mostly older band parents ... the local HS band was having their band camp out of the area).

As for the corps, I think every group had some great stuff to offer. Some more than others. If Crown wins, awesome. If BD wins, meh ... though they're not completely undeserving (but I'll definitely stay the hell away from DCP).

Long story short: as someone who was raised on 90s corps and marched in the mid-00s (an ugly period, in my opinion), I think the state of the DCI is fine. Sure, there's plenty I don't like:

- Some groups' approach to A&E, especially the offensive sounds coming out of the Cadets' pit (that said, A&E/narration is MILES ahead of its beginnings. The crap I saw in 2004 through 2008 made me embarrassed to be a drum corps fan. I sincerely think it's getting better now).

- The creative homogeneity when it comes to visual. Lot's of movement for sake of movement, no musical support (more of a problem in the lower ranked corps ... designers should look to Crown. But again, much like A&E, it's better now than it was in previous years).

- BD getting away with high visual again. Their music ensemble is second-to-none. I can (and will) listen to the show over and over and find new stuff that floors me. But their George Lucas-ian visual approach of "throwing as much crap as we can on the stage" is really getting old. The guard does work that's clean, but just exists. I see very little musicality in it.

Now notice how I didn't say "state of the activity."

Drum corps itself has gone through some tough avenues and major changes. The economic landscape of the 70s and 80s is completely different from today's, as well as the role of music education in the US. I think there's bigger challenges facing drum corps than a group of evil designers/directors that want to make everything weird.

But if you're that bothered by the creative direction of DCI, might I suggest DCA/all-age corps? Alumni corps? Maybe ... gasp ... getting together with people to start your own ensemble?

If you're complaining how the activity you claim to love isn't engaging anymore, what are you doing to change it?

• Like 1

An extended bi-product of the problem with the direction DCI shows are moving is its influence on BOA and high school bands. BOA and other high school contests are now attended only by parents of the participants and die-hard band geeks. Most BOA style shows performed to the general public at high schools games are absolutely lost on the general public, receiving either polite "home team" clap support or rolls of eyes from the football parents.

This creates a concerning level of apathy for music education that the non-band parents see as expendable budgets in many school districts. The more budget cuts hit the band the more money the band boosters must raise to keep programs running. Without engaging the general public through their public performances how else can these programs generate interest and funds?

Speaking of apathy, I see many comments on this thread showing a total lack of concern about the defecting fans, assuming that new, "more sophisticated" fans will take their place. And it appears that DCI has a similar lack of concern, otherwise they would listen to these comments and take action to correct. Fan churn appears to be far outpacing new fans coming into the activity based on my observations of attendance. In most businesses replacing customers has substantially more costs than keeping current customers. DCI needs to address this growing loss of core fans or as stated earlier in this thread these "educational focused" performing arts groups will be performing before a small panel of judges with a few parents sitting in the audience.

• Like 1

If DCI is first and foremost an educational organization, why are they renting NFL stadiums and taking million dollar national tours? Do you think those things are somehow requirements to provide high quality marching music education?

Ka-ching; therein is the philosophical conflict of purpose.

both of the HS-aged kids at the box office talked our ears off about how cool drum corps is (one was in a non-competitive marching band, the other was a regular band kid).

Guess I wasn't a regular band kid then.... :devil: Well I've never been "normal" :shutup:

• Like 1

b) The PGA does more for charities than any other organization; and the PGA is about making money through entertaining the sports minded which in turn sells the tickets which in turn sells sponsorships which in turn makes money for the charities.

The problem with the PGA's show is they only receive "golf claps"

:smile:/>

sorry Stu, couldn't resist. All in fun.

Is 1964 far enough back? I loved it when I started in 64, and I love it now. Corps have ever sounded better, performers are the best ever, and the shows are amazing. That is MHO, anyway.

I couldn't have said it better Mike and like you I first marched in 67 so I guess that makes us Dinos...lol

I go to a minimum 3 DCI shows a year, subscribe to the Fan Network and I will definatly be watching finals tomorrow night.

Edited by Bucbari

...and when I say music person I'm looking at my music end degree on the wall in front of me as I type.....

May want to check your diploma for spelling.

:huh:/>

Great points about engaging your audience. Given that DCI involves a stadium tour and all the while is trying to move merchandise along the way (as well as having an archive of material to sell for years/decades), anything that reduces the perceived value of the tickets to events and the merchandise is a negative. If you make an art film that is only going to appeal to die-hard film geeks and your immediate friends/family, you're going to have to really reduce that budget or expect to take a big loss, and parading it around like it is the best thing to happen to movies is probably going to get you laughed at.

Saying that current teenagers in marching band think it is great is hardly an impartial crowd. They are going to gravitate towards whatever is available. It is an extension of what they do already. People, especially kids, will tend to rave about whatever is perceived as the top echelon of whatever activity they are involved with (be it sports, music, film, whatever). That alone is hardly an indicator that all is well and the path is a good one.

If you just want to do an art piece, you could save a lot of money by just filming it and releasing it yourself via on-demand DVD/CD production and downloads. If you want to tour it and play it in big stadiums, you might want to work in something that will grab your audience and make them feel like it was at least worth the price of admission. If you know the goal is to have all of these packaged into CDs and DVDs for future generations to be able to buy and watch, you should also have all of your copyrights in order ahead of time. Imagine if you bought movies where portions were blacked out because they didn't have permission to include that part in the home DVD. That would be ridiculous, but people in this activity seem to be ok with intentionally devaluing the merchandise and exposure.