Santa Clara's Flag Code Disrespect

The flags that are being discussed are the ones that appear from behind the props backfield that some have compared to fireworks ...

after they (SCV) tossed one color silks in solid red, solid white and solid blue there is a unison toss of what appear to be French flags ...

then the guard comes from behind the props with the "stylized version" that have a fleur de lis superimposed.

Why doesn't the OP consider the superimposition of the fleur-de-lis as desecration?

• Like 2

[quote

name =hughesmr' timestamp='1375805489' post='3303466]

Why doesn't the OP consider the superimposition of the fleur-de-lis as desecration?

I raise a question in speculation and phrase it in a way to produce discussion.

This flag with the stylized fleur-de-lis is the combination of the flag of the French monarchy for some of its history and the official flag of the Republic as a nation. It is an artist's rendering.

No where in my post s do I use the word desecration. That is another poster's term and renders a judgment far more extreme than the subjective word I used. I didn't write the Flag Code. I merely asked whether it was not adjudicated for a show which is excellent in so many other aspects which is so typical of the corps I very much respect.

Two things. I remember in 1976 several corps did a color pre. This was after the requirement to do one had been gone for 3-4 years. Most corps in 76 did not use a real US flag. It may have had 13 stars or a "76" in the blue field. The thought was since it was not a "real" US flag, the US Flag Code did not apply. It seems that the US Flag Code covers the US flag and anything the represents the US flag.

Another thing. The OP mentioned a "UN Flag Code". The only UN Flag Code I found concerns the UN flag, not national flags. Does any one have a link to a "UN Flag Code" that covers national flags?

I really do not think we are bound by any French law concerning displaying the French flag. As to whether it is in good taste, that is a little subjective.

Edited by DAvery
  • Like 1

I raise a question in speculation and phrase it in a way to produce discussion.

This flag with the stylized fleur-de-lis is the combination of the flag of the French monarchy for some of its history and the official flag of the Republic as a nation. It is an artist's rendering.

No where in my post s do I use the word desecration. That is another poster's term and renders a judgment far more extreme than the subjective word I used. I didn't write the Flag Code. I merely asked whether it was not adjudicated for a show which is excellent in so many other aspects which is so typical of the corps I very much respect.

That's a nice statement and all, but wouldn't it prudent for you to find out from SCV themselves if the flags in question are regulation or renderings/non-literal representations FIRST? Before you post your "speculations" which may cast this organization whom you claim to respect in a negative light?

• Like 2

That's a nice statement and all, but wouldn't it prudent for you to find out from SCV themselves if the flags in question are regulation or renderings/non-literal representations FIRST? Before you post your "speculations" which may cast this organization whom you claim to respect in a negative light?

I did at Allentown on Friday and again on Sunday. DCP posts are not a complete encyclopedia of life of anyone.

I will try to find a link in English for the person seeking the U.N. protocols on foreign flags.

When drum corps as an activity enforced flag code, the usual source document was the US Army Field manual 22-5.

• Like 1

Two things. I remember in 1976 several corps did a color pre. This was after the requirement to do one had been gone for 3-4 years. Most corps in 76 did not use a real US flag. It may have had 13 stars or a "76" in the blue field. The thought was since it was not a "real" US flag, the US Flag Code did not apply. It seems that the US Flag Code covers the US flag and anything the represents the US flag.

Another thing. The OP mentioned a "UN Flag Code". The only UN Flag Code I found concerns the UN flag, not national flags. Does any one have a link to a "UN Flag Code" that covers national flags?

I really od not think we are bound by any French law concerning displaying the French flag. As to whether it is in good taste, that is a little subjective.

My understanding using a "non-real" American Flag also got rid of the possiblity of a flag violation penalty in case someone stepped in front of the Colors, etc, etc (forget the other reasons). As for non-American flags, feel it falls under respect for others.

Kinda off topic question: Would DCI still give flag code violation penalties if one occurs. DCA still has it in the books along with some corps having Honor Guards. Wondering since I also did Honor Guard for parts of two seasons when work interferred with doing shows. (Guess who carried the American Flag when the main guys back was acting up --> :shutup: )

So did they say that they are real regulation French flags?

after I raised the concern, their faces went white and then blushing red over which they felt very blue.:tongue:/>