In 1 sentence - what 1 thing would you change about DCI?

Focus on audience attraction and retention by giving customers a voice and ensuring that corps programming plays to it.

• Like 1

require all instructional staff and volunteers to have a criminal background check

If all corps don't already do this, they're asking for a lawsuit when something happens. It would be really dumb in this day and age to not require not only a background check but also some training.

Be open to ANY formula that allows kids to exceed their performance expectations, YET drives the next door family to purchase tickets without influence from the DCI performer over the fence, or any other family connection they might have.

I read and reread your post. I know I'm not very smart but.....that's a lot more than one sentence you got there. So, out of your four sentences, what is the ONE thing you would change? I like it this way because it forces you to state that ONE and only one thing that is your personal hot button.

Yeah... I edited my post and tool advantage of not stating that you can only submit one sentence. Of all that I wrote....drop the dancing horn line. I want to see WGI play brass and percussion. How would that audience respond?

Require all instructional staff to have an education degree.

Mike

So... what you are saying is that someone like Chris Martin or Tommy Igoe are not qualified to be on a DCI corps instructional staff simply because they do not have an Degree in 'Education'? Really? I mean Really?

...I would like to see, post season, interviews with the judges on what they saw and why the scored as they did. Further enlighten fans as to specifics on how they determine content and achievement. Perhaps an online chat too with the head of judging. I think that would go a long way in showing transparency as well as an educational benefit for those of us who do not judge.

That would be great. I found a judge's tape for a BOA championship online that you could listen to at the same time as watching the show on video. It was very interesting to hear what the judge liked. Do they have training videos for the judges that explain the judging sheets with examples of different levels of performance? That would be interesting and educational.

Public disclosure of all judge's email addresses and phone numbers, as well as a PA announcement of where their cars are parked on finals night.

They will still have a last place drumlins hough. thumbup.gif

Focus on audience attraction and retention by giving customers a voice and ensuring that corps programming plays to it.

"If it adapts itself to what the majority of our society wants, art will be a meaningless recreation." - Albert Camus

We have to be very careful how we approach this perceived problem. Variety is the spice of life. You might not like all the flavors available to you, but for every one you dislike, someone else might love it.

Many music/arts competitions have an 'audience prize'. Seems it would be simple (and fun) to implement -- all they need is a decibel meter. After all corps compete, burn some of the time before scores with a read-off of each corps name and measure the dBs the audience puts out in cheers. Highest reading wins the audience award, which consists of a $50,000 prize.

:rolleyes:

Edited by hughesmr