So - BEST TOP 4 EVER?

99 members have voted

1. 1. 2013 BEST TOP 4 EVER?

If nudged to pick 1 year, I'd say 2008 was collectively the best top 4, as even Crown's 4th place Corps in 2008 is better than any of the other 4th place corps of any year, imo.

I agree that 2008 was a very strong top 4, and collectively is a stronger set of shows than this year's. That was probably the best top 4 of the finals I've seen live.

I think there's an analogy to be made between this year's top 4 and that of 2003. While Phenomenon of Cool is not reRite, they're both very clean shows that towards the end have managed to stay ahead of a second place corps that is definitely a crowd favorite and very flashy (Spin Cycle and e=mc2). The third place corps in both years is The Cadets, but more importantly both shows' Achilles Heel is effect (though this year Cadets are also struggling visually) -and strongest caption is percussion. Remember that Our Favorite Things beat Spin Cycle in overall music and visual. Then there's the 4th place corps--both Harmonic Journey and Les Mis were/are the crowd favorites and were something of a return to near-medal contention for both corps.

Every year they seem to get better. I think you've got to give it some time in order to fully assess "The best ever". However, this year certainly has the potential to not only produce the best top 4, but the top 6.

Until we have more time to stew on 2013, how about 2010?

2010 was an incredible year - tremendous shows!!! Some of my personal favorites, how about you?

Blue Devils - Through The Glass, Darkly

Cavies - Mad World

Bluecoats - Metropoliis - The Future is Now

Crown - Second Chance

Cadets - Toy Soldier

Phantom - Into The Light

I think the compelling points to be made on behalf of 2008 is that while there are good points to be made for years where the top 3 are great, I think the 2008 Carolina Crown ( " Finis " theme ) in 4th that year was far and away the best 4th place Corps I ever saw and heard. These were 4 great Corps that year. Crown finished top 4 in all major Corps sections at Finals, and even this 4th place 2008 Crown's Percussion section was better than his year's Carolina Crown Percussion section, imo. Crown in 2008 was better than the 2013 Cadets or SCV one of whom will probably finish 4th this year. I guess it might be best however to reserve final judgement on this until after Saturday. Crown scored 96.80 for 4th place at Finals in 2008, less than 1.4 points out of first. I don't believe this years 4th place Corps will be as close to first place at Finals as Crown was in 2008. And Phantom's 2008 show was electrifying lets not forget,and yet they won by less than a tenth over a super talented BD at Finals. These are a couple of the reasons why I make the case that the top 4 of 2008 are collectively better than the top 4 of this year. But lets see what we observe these next few days, before casting final comparisons.

That's a pretty sound argument right there...

I think the compelling points to be made on behalf of 2008 is that while there are good points to be made for years where the top 3 are great, I think the 2008 Carolina Crown ( " Finis " theme ) in 4th that year was far and away the best 4th place Corps I ever saw and heard. These were 4 great Corps that year. Crown finished top 4 in all major Corps sections at Finals, and even this 4th place 2008 Crown's Percussion section was better than his year's Carolina Crown Percussion section, imo. Crown in 2008 was better than the 2013 Cadets or SCV one of whom will probably finish 4th this year. I guess it might be best however to reserve final judgement on this until after Saturday. Crown scored 96.80 for 4th place at Finals in 2008, less than 1.4 points out of first. I don't believe this years 4th place Corps will be as close to first place at Finals as Crown was in 2008. And Phantom's 2008 show was electrifying lets not forget,and yet they won by less than a tenth over a super talented BD at Finals. These are a couple of the reasons why I make the case that the top 4 of 2008 are collectively better than the top 4 of this year. But lets see what we observe these next few days, before casting final comparisons.

Again we agree............................ " I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it..........Daisy, Daisy, Give me your answer.....dooooooooo!" tongue.gif/>

BTW, Samurai is one of my favorite Cavies shows since they were dominant.

Edited by Plan9

I don't know best ever.....but the year I most enjoyed the top four was 2011, 4 excellent shows.

Cadets- Between Angels and Demons

Blue Devils- The Beat My Heart Skipped

Cavaliers-XtraordinarY

Crown- Rach Star

I think the best Top 4 of all time is a Tie between the year 2000 and 2008.

Maybe not entirely, but I still have a powerful feeling that this will be the highest scoring top 4 ever, possibly even have 3 groups break 98 if either the Cadets or Vanguard separate themselves from the 1 point gap against the two at the top they've had for much of the regional year. I'm not going to say it'll happen, but it's way too possible to ignore.

No love for 1993?

1. Cadets of Bergen County - In the Spring, At the Time When Kings Go Off to War (97.4)

2. Star of Indiana - The Music of Barber and Bartok (97.3)

3. Phantom Regiment - The Modern Imagination (96.2)

4. Blue Devils - A Don Ellis Portrait (95.1)

Maybe not the highest scoring top 4 ever but talk about four incredible shows...

I agree with 1980 also, but I would put 1985 up towards the top. Everyone seems to over look that season. amazing shows in the top 4 ( top 5, if u throw in Cavaliers )