Chat Room for Prelims and Semis!

ps...can any of the experienced judges tell me if wardrobe malfunctions play into the scoring? Before Boston's clothing change, many of the brass line members had red showing on their arms. It appeared to me that their tops were kind of coming undone.

I believe it's intentional. I think it's supposed to be slowly revealing the red, at least that's how it's been all year.

Was the volume in anyone else's theatre cranked super high last night? I'm not complaining, but Cavies were causing some feedback and crackling in the speakers. That loud

I wouldn't call BD guard DIRTY. They are just different from everybody else.The more creative you the better. BD guard is by far extraordinary. If you compare BD guard with Crown, BD takes the cake. If you have a problem with BD guard, tell Scott. But the judges see BD as #1 and so do I.

I agree - in that I wouldn't call them dirty at all. But creativity is highly suggestive - and from my perspective Crown is much more creative and visually appealing with their staging and written book - not to mention the performance and demand placed on the members.

My ultimate fear (and fear is a big word) is returning to what guards were in the '80's when you do a whole show with no weapons at all, some chain flags and whatever strange props you could find to spin. The mid to late '80's were not a great time for guards equipment wise!

Again - no problem with their guard - but I just don't get the numbers (and yes I have taught DCI, WGI and DCA for years and years - so I'm approaching it from an educated - at least I hope - perspective)

Later,

Mike

• Like 2

Both Music City andSpartans were good, but both seemed a bit tired. I think Music City will be n OC corps to watch. Spartans had a good season overall and should be proud of their accomplishments.Their color guard is particularly good,especially with rifles, flags, and sabers. Music City has some great musicians and a great show.

My issue so far--LucasOil Stadium. The show has been going for less than an hour and they are already out of lids and straws. The stadium staff that is supposed to keep people out while corps are performing are more disruptive than those attempting to get in. Enough complaining.

Genesis just finished. With five OC corps in semi's today, there is quite a talent pool to watch. This is the first show that was as good or better than yesterday's. Surf is now getting ready so the stadium is getting wild.They're all hugging each other. Can't help but feel the love.

Surf had it's best show this year, at least in my opinion. They sounded great and the show went well. I think they are capable of stepping things up a notch next year. Hopefully they'll do just that while maintaining what is working well for them.

I did not see Academy until Allentown, and i do realize they had a slow start this year,but their show is great, original, and a bit of a departure for them. I also realize that their major competitors this year:Colts, Troopers, PC, Mandarins, are also very good this year, but Academy's scores have been low. We'll see what happens today.

So could you win music analysis with a 7th place brass line?

Absolutely. From the box you are hearing something entirely different than the field judges.

Honestly I think you guys are overstating the extent to which you can interpret crown's battery performance from the box. Early season when the percussion judge sits upstairs Crown was doing just dandy vs BD and SCV in perc. Only when the judge moved to the field in early July did Crown start getting nailed. So the MA scores make sense even if you believe percussion achievement should affect it (which is not what the sheets say if that means anything).