Chat Room for Prelims and Semis!

After an awesome 6th place performance by BK's guard and a boneheaded decision by BAC's staff, Blue Knights moved ahead of Boston. I don't think we've seen the last of the improvements both Corps have in store for the next two performances. Where these two class acts end up...we'll have to wait for finals to see.

I loved both of their shows.

ps...can any of the experienced judges tell me if wardrobe malfunctions play into the scoring? Before Boston's clothing change, many of the brass line members had red showing on their arms. It appeared to me that their tops were kind of coming undone.

I'm not sure I agree with the boneheaded comment, more of a calculated risk based on the effectiveness of the mood they were going for. There was a time - specifically in the 80s - where Boston, and Madison for that matter - didn't really care about scores and went out to simply perform culminating in Boston's 1985 show where they took a penalty at every show for using a synthesizer.

And to your ps. they must have a zipper or something on the arms of the uniform - during the ballad when half the hornline lies on their backs to support the other half of the hornline - on one of the recent fan network videos, you can see them uncuff the arms to show the bit of red. At the end of the ballad they cuff the arms again. Pretty awesome effect I think, I actually wish they could do some more of this throughout the show.

For certain. I was supremely disappointed for the kids in that drumline because their program just doesn't work. It isn't well integrated at the beginning at all and the whole show otherwise it plays second fiddle. Their feature wasn't too bad, but wasn't as clean as it needed to be.

I feel the same way. From a design standpoint, Crown's show is "Hey, check out how good my hornline is and we'll also narrate around it.!"

It could actually be said Crown's percussion is 3rd fiddle behind the vocals and singing. I recall not a single memorable moment of front ensemble playing and the only memorable battery moment is the feature that is covered by the vocals on top of it. If crown ever wants to get this caption up higher, it needs to be integrated into the show design better.

• Like 1

Anyone know the schedule for today yet? Want to make sure I leave work with enough time to pick up refreshments, etc. before the Fan Network gets into the top 12. No way I can leave early enough to catch it all sadly.

Anyone know the schedule for today yet? Want to make sure I leave work with enough time to pick up refreshments, etc. before the Fan Network gets into the top 12. No way I can leave early enough to catch it all sadly.

Here you go:

1:50 PM - Welcome and Anthems

2:00 PM – Music City

2:17 PM – Spartans

2:34 PM – Genesis

2:51 PM – Jersey Surf

3:08 PM – The Acaemy

3:25 PM – Blue Devils B

3:42 PM – Vanguard Cadets

3:59 PM – Oregon Crusaders

4:16 PM - Intermission (23 Min.)

4:39 PM – Mandarins

4:56 PM – Colts

5:13 PM – Pacific Crest

5:30 PM – Troopers

5:47 PM – Crossmen

6:04 PM – Blue Stars

6:21 PM – Spirit of Atlanta

6:38 PM – Boston Crusaders

6:55 PM – Blue Knights

7:12 PM - Intermission (40 Min.)

7:52 PM – The Cavaliers

8:09 PM – Madison Scouts

8:26 PM – Phantom Regiment

8:43 PM – Bluecoats

9:00 PM – Santa Clara Vanguard

9:17 PM – The Cadets

9:34 PM – Carolina Crown

9:51 PM – Blue Devils

Read more: http://www.dci.org/n...1#ixzz2bTgDShuC

Edited by RDevil12

So could you win music analysis with a 7th place brass line?

I still can't believe the credit that BD is being given in guard....I just don't get it. I've said it in other threads and I'll say it here:

As much as I appreciate BD's guard -I just can't agree that they have more difficulty or responsability than Crown and Vanguard. Equipement wise alone - 1/2 of BD's guard doesn't even touch equipement until a good 4 - 5 minutes into the show. I like their use of hoops, and semi circles and balls, but compare that to what Crown and Vanguard is being asked to do on weapon (almost constantly) along with the body / movement / equipement triad that they have (BD concentrates on one or the other) and then look at their comparative flag books......and BD should be a 3rd place guard program at this point with achievement being higher than content.

Sad thing is that they'll still be in first tonight as Debbie is judging. It's kind of a shame really.

Later,

Mike

• Like 7

I still can't believe the credit that BD is being given in guard....I just don't get it. I've said it in other threads and I'll say it here:

As much as I appreciate BD's guard -I just can't agree that they have more difficulty or responsability than Crown and Vanguard. Equipement wise alone - 1/2 of BD's guard doesn't even touch equipement until a good 4 - 5 minutes into the show. I like their use of hoops, and semi circles and balls, but compare that to what Crown and Vanguard is being asked to do on weapon (almost constantly) along with the body / movement / equipement triad that they have (BD concentrates on one or the other) and then look at their comparative flag books......and BD should be a 3rd place guard program at this point with achievement being higher than content.

Sad thing is that they'll still be in first tonight as Debbie is judging. It's kind of a shame really.

Later,

Mike

Crown's guard is good. SCV's was dirty last night, but had some great moments

Personally I felt BD's was the best - in terms of movement, work and staging... with Crown a close second.

Cadets have also gotten a LOT better over the past 2 weeks which is great to see for a new staff

Later,

Mike

Well, one reason that they are placing so high is the style and judging has been influenced by WGI. Being able to use a rifle or flag properly is seen as the basics of the basics. BD uses weird, abstract props that aren't designed specifically for guard use. This is why guard judges see it as an increase in difficulty and design. As long as WGI keeps influencing DCI, we will continue to see corps move more towards this more abstract style as far as guard goes.

Well, one reason that they are placing so high is the style and judging has been influenced by WGI. Being able to use a rifle or flag properly is seen as the basics of the basics. BD uses weird, abstract props that aren't designed specifically for guard use. This is why guard judges see it as an increase in difficulty and design. As long as WGI keeps influencing DCI, we will continue to see corps move more towards this more abstract style as far as guard goes.

I just fail to see how using other props is seen as an increase in difficulty. Properly manipulating a rifle / sabre or flag is much more difficult than manipulating a half circle. Crown's sabre book in the opener alone should be enough to guarantee them the guard trophy.

I also don't agree that this is a direct result of WGI - as in WGI there are clear guidelines set as to what is considered equipment and what isn't and their usage in shows - if anything WGI is more about traditional equipment use than DCI is now.

Later,

Mike

• Like 2