Chat Room for Prelims and Semis!

It confuses me as well. I hate when corps double sections with synth, but it is more rampant than just BD. Phantom is the worst for me this year. I would say how bad the synth overpowers depends on how close you are to the box and just how well the staff running the mixer happens to be at getting a good blend that night. I personally think that synth has viable uses, but doubling brass is not one of them, and I would like to see that fall out of practice.

I watched many synth players yesterday from lower ranks on up doubling brass. It kind of gives me a sick feeling. Two hands on the keyboard... low and high. The only time they don't double brass is when a section is being featured. They even adeptly use their volume slider to match dynamics. I saw this with my own eyes.

Then I found myself looking for corps that DON'T double brass. Today at semis I am going to keep track of that.

Edited by luv4corps

I'm not sure I agree with the boneheaded comment, more of a calculated risk based on the effectiveness of the mood they were going for. There was a time - specifically in the 80s - where Boston, and Madison for that matter - didn't really care about scores and went out to simply perform culminating in Boston's 1985 show where they took a penalty at every show for using a synthesizer.

And to your ps. they must have a zipper or something on the arms of the uniform - during the ballad when half the hornline lies on their backs to support the other half of the hornline - on one of the recent fan network videos, you can see them uncuff the arms to show the bit of red. At the end of the ballad they cuff the arms again. Pretty awesome effect I think, I actually wish they could do some more of this throughout the show.

Okay...fair enough.

I guess it could be that they are comfortable taking the point penalty to get their desired effect. I suppose we'll find out today when we see if they keep the powder or not.

I went to the movie last night and with the volume in the theater the thunderous goo was unbelievable. It really ruins the purity of the horn line. The obvious abuse of electronics that many have feared seems to be rampant. It's really too bad

• Like 2

Oh my inner numbers management freak is having a field day looking at this recap.

36 corps.

Percussion judge had 0...ZERO...sub box ties.

You havea GE visual judge with 10. both GE music judges with 9, one of them a 3way sub box tie. Guard with 10. brass 12 with one being a 3way.

I understand doing 36 corps, yeah you can have SOME sub box ties. 63, 2 of them 3way ties.

Come on man you had plenty of room, some of you handed out 4's.

I've judged as many as 27 at a time...I get some sub box ties can happen. that's insane.

This is just my observation, but is there any reason why Cadets are scoring so low in visual? From theaters, they looked cleaner than anyone except for maybe BD.

guard and boxes

Just got back home from the show (I was there live).

A few words on Crown...... Myself and all the people I was with thought Crown was clearly the best, and that it wasn't close. They have been my favorite corps all year, so I thought I would like them best... but the level of performance was completely on a higher level from Cadets (who went right before them).

I admit that Blue Devils are significantly stronger in percussion, and maybe guard than Crown, but everything else clearly goes Crown's way for me.... especially GE. I mean, they basically got 4 standing ovations throughout the show by a good majority of the crowd (at least in the lower section where I was). I have not seen that in years... not even with PR 2008. I assumed SCV would be the crowd favorite... but nope, that wasn't close either. People were still applauding long after Crown was beginning to leave the field.

I don't mean to gush on only one show (I enjoyed many others to), but Crown tonight was by far the best drum corps performance I have ever experienced.

Crown's show has grown on me too... and is now my favorite after Scouts and Troopers. Once I understood what all the narration is about and why it totally belongs there, it made all the difference.

That said, I fear to admit that I think it's another BD title this year. And I actually like BD's show almost as much as Crown's. The music arrangement of "Rite" stops me in my tracks. I could close my eyes and still love that show.

I still can't believe the credit that BD is being given in guard....I just don't get it. I've said it in other threads and I'll say it here:

As much as I appreciate BD's guard -I just can't agree that they have more difficulty or responsability than Crown and Vanguard. Equipement wise alone - 1/2 of BD's guard doesn't even touch equipement until a good 4 - 5 minutes into the show. I like their use of hoops, and semi circles and balls, but compare that to what Crown and Vanguard is being asked to do on weapon (almost constantly) along with the body / movement / equipement triad that they have (BD concentrates on one or the other) and then look at their comparative flag books......and BD should be a 3rd place guard program at this point with achievement being higher than content.

Sad thing is that they'll still be in first tonight as Debbie is judging. It's kind of a shame really.

Later,

Mike

I went to the movie last night and with the volume in the theater the thunderous goo was unbelievable. It really ruins the purity of the horn line. The obvious abuse of electronics that many have feared seems to be rampant. It's really too bad

In part it is because some corps put their speakers in front of the mics. However, I (and probably 95% of the drum corps fans) completely agree with you. The goo is just unnecessary. The activity survived without it just fine.

• Like 3

I wouldn't call BD guard DIRTY. They are just different from everybody else.The more creative you the better. BD guard is by far extraordinary. If you compare BD guard with Crown, BD takes the cake. If you have a problem with BD guard, tell Scott. But the judges see BD as #1 and so do I.

• Like 1