Chat Room for Prelims and Semis!

I wouldn't call BD guard DIRTY. They are just different from everybody else.The more creative you the better. BD guard is by far extraordinary. If you compare BD guard with Crown, BD takes the cake. If you have a problem with BD guard, tell Scott. But the judges see BD as #1 and so do I.

No. They're dirty.

Have you *watched* what the best in the world do with rhythmic gymnastic equipment? Google it. They're very good. They're very good in the same way a guard spinning rifle/sabre/flag are very good. If I saw that from those performers, I'd shut up. But that's not what we're getting. We're getting oh I picked up this red ball -- let me throw it and bounce it. IMO you have to credit *excellence* and "achievement" . It's as if they picked up a brass instrument and are making noise and you want the credit because "its new".

Sorry. Content matters. Excellence matters. There should be no credit for "new but poorly achieved". Look at easy-to-see things like heights, angles, catch positions, ensemble timing, pathways. They're no where near what "excellent" means on those pieces of equipment. For reference look at what Belarus does in the group competitions.

(And btw If they're "props" and *not* equipment, then BD doesn't spin for most of the show. )

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

Have you *watched* what the best in the world do with rhythmic gymnastic equipment? Google it. They're very good. They're very good in the same way a guard spinning rifle/sabre/flag are very good. If I saw that from those performers, I'd shut up. But that's not what we're getting. We're getting oh I picked up this red ball -- let me throw it and bounce it. IMO you have to credit *excellence* and "achievement" . It's as if they picked up a brass instrument and are making noise and you want the credit because "its new".

Sorry. Content matters. Excellence matters. There should be no credit for "new but poorly achieved". Look at easy-to-see things like heights, angles, catch positions, ensemble timing, pathways. They're no where near what "excellent" means on those pieces of equipment. For reference look at what Belarus does in the group competitions.

Thank you for saying this! Exactly my thoughts in re the Devils' approach to this rhythmic gymnastics equipment. :worthy:

• Like 1

(And btw If they're "props" and *not* equipment, then BD doesn't spin for most of the show. )

DCI's visual judges may not realize that it's not very good as standards go. They may not have experience with rhythmic gymnastics. You'd have to listen to the tapes or talk to the judges to see what they think they're crediting there.

I don't mean to step on any toes of any 1980s guard members who are DCPers, but when guards first started dance movement in DCI, they were stiff by comparison to what we see today at all levels of DCI. Many corps instructors and guard members back then didn't have much experience in dance when they came to corps, whereas today, they do, and the judges' knowledge of what is proper movement in dance is higher than back then.

• Like 1

So the online chat thing crapped out?

• Like 1

DCI's visual judges may not realize that it's not very good as standards go. They may not have experience with rhythmic gymnastics. You'd have to listen to the tapes or talk to the judges to see what they think they're crediting there.

Poppycock.

Any halfway competent equipment/movement judge could evaluate RG just using the training they have in colorguard. Does that make them qualified to judge RG as a RG judge? No. But no one's asking them to do that either.

(Of course the DCI judges probably haven't been judged a downstairs caption in decades. But that's a story for another thread)

Silliness -- BD spins plenty in their show, and they are darn good at it. They are also excellent at body movement/dance. I agree that their ensemble design style is different, and more ... individual-oriented. The don't have the "flag line" in the back doing everything in unison, and the rifles up front doing sequential tosses down the line. I think Crown's CG design is more conventional, but it's also amazing in effect and performance. I think BD is equally is amazing in performance, and the design is quite effective for their "out there" type of show.

No. They're dirty.

• Like 1

When does the last corps perform tonight. Surprisingly, DCI.org's schedule is empty. Not like its the day of the show or anything...

Silliness -- BD spins plenty in their show, and they are darn good at it. They are also excellent at body movement/dance. I agree that their ensemble design style is different, and more ... individual-oriented. The don't have the "flag line" in the back doing everything in unison, and the rifles up front doing sequential tosses down the line. I think Crown's CG design is more conventional, but it's also amazing in effect and performance. I think BD is equally is amazing in performance, and the design is quite effective for their "out there" type of show.

Interesting that you found it necessary to completely avoid everything I posted yet you replied to my post and even managed to misquote me as a bonus. :ph34r:/>

I dont' know anything about guard, but I did notice at one point in Allentown, that BD "transitioned" to new equipment by having the people on the field throw their equipment about 5-10 yards onto the ground, and then some guard members on the sideline threw new equipment onto the field (again, on the ground on the field, not to a person) and then the people on the field went and picked the new equipment up.

I'm sure if a 15th place corps did that, the judges would talk about a poor transition... right?

• Like 2