Chat Room for Prelims and Semis!

I dont' know anything about guard, but I did notice at one point in Allentown, that BD "transitioned" to new equipment by having the people on the field throw their equipment about 5-10 yards onto the ground, and then some guard members on the sideline threw new equipment onto the field (again, on the ground on the field, not to a person) and then the people on the field went and picked the new equipment up.

I'm sure if a 15th place corps did that, the judges would talk about a poor transition... right?

Nailed it.

• Like 1

I dont' know anything about guard, but I did notice at one point in Allentown, that BD "transitioned" to new equipment by having the people on the field throw their equipment about 5-10 yards onto the ground, and then some guard members on the sideline threw new equipment onto the field (again, on the ground on the field, not to a person) and then the people on the field went and picked the new equipment up.

I'm sure if a 15th place corps did that, the judges would talk about a poor transition... right?

I go by the philosophy that if you intentionally release something, it should be intentionally caught.

Interesting that you found it necessary to completely avoid everything I posted yet you replied to my post and even managed to misquote me as a bonus. :ph34r:/>/>

OK ... so first off, I was using quotes similar to how you were in your post. Capturing a category or consensus perception, not to directly quote a person. Sheesh

I was simply responding to you post where you were essentially saying BD's CG was dirty, and you questioned how good they are because they don't throw balls or hoops like the Belarus rhythmic gymnastics team (haven't caught that on YouTube yet....), nor do they have strong equipment technique. I think you're wrong, but also tried to make the case that comparing design and execution of the two top CG's in DCI this year is very difficult, because one uses a new, avant garde approach and the other far more conventional.

So let me try again: I completely disagree with your comments. BD's equipment technique looks excellent to me, including (and here I'll quote you) "heights, angles, catch positions, ensemble timing and pathways". They exhibit all in this show. In addition, they are best at movement in the activity, and they deliver loads of effect that perfectly suits this very different show. The judging community, who can't all be clueless as CG experts, apparently agree, as they have ranked BD's guard in the top 2 all season.

Crown's guard is also excellent, and definitely does more of what I would describe as the conventional style of "framing" the show vs BD's more ... hmmm ... interactive approach. I think both are excellent. I think the balls are cool, and I don't think the guard needs to be an olympic rhythmic gymnastics team to be effective with them. They seem to use them quite well. Looks great in the beginning of the show. BD has a long history of introducing different equipment other than flag/rifle/saber, and relies more on great body movement vs spinning..... wings, ribbons, fans, etc. Innovative and new. That bench that the Crown CG couple sit on in the show is nice too (but maybe they can get more credit for spinning it around...)

OK ... so first off, I was using quotes similar to how you were in your post. Capturing a category or consensus perception, not to directly quote a person. Sheesh

Pretty ignore my point again and...

Too tired to pick at this point by point so here's the summary:

Is the RG stuff being judged as equipment?

If yes it's not clean and not written to a high level.

If no (and it's a "prop") then the majority of the guard is playing with props for most of the show.

I didn't address the spinning already in the show but I will now. Never more than two legs of the triad in use except with trivial work. Yes they move well. And they perform the crap out of every moment. I think it's the weakest (maybe youngest) BD guard we've seen in quite a while.

some serious numbers management issues. I can't complain about who placed where outside of Madison and Crowns percussion. But Crown getting a 10 and 10 9.9's with a corps to go basically said "here BD, you're perfect or you're ####ed".

tomorrow will be very interesting, as if thats done again, it could blow up on crown

• Like 2

some serious numbers management issues. I can't complain about who placed where outside of Madison and Crowns percussion. But Crown getting a 10 and 10 9.9's with a corps to go basically said "here BD, you're perfect or you're ####ed".

tomorrow will be very interesting, as if thats done again, it could blow up on crown

Jeff I'm curious as to your issue with where Madison percussion placed- please elaborate. I think I know your grip re: Crown

they get points on creativity and how well they execute it.judges want to see more than flags, sabres, & rifles.There is a reason why judges put them 1st. When you step out of the ordinary, people give credit when it's due. You might think Crown guard is good but the judges think different.

...Except that Crown's guard has been trading off with BD's for first place all season. To me, that means the judges as a whole don't have a clear preference between these two corps' radically different guard styles. This is a good thing, guys.

Also, frankly, neither guard is pristine right now.

Edited by saxfreq1128

is there a finals thread yet?