Fan Network 2013 Semi-Finals

So are you saying that it should not be possible for a corps to jump three places in a caption, even if they "had a completely clean run"?

At the beginning of this season I had commented on the lack of confidence I had regarding the judges' ability (integrity?) to do just that. I'm very pleased to say they have proved me wrong.

So are you saying that it should not be possible for a corps to jump three places in a caption, even if they "had a completely clean run"?

I will answer that question: 3 places maybe (depending solely on other flat performances), but by that margin? - NOPE. The extremely watered down book didn't suddenly get more difficult.

I realize the "cleanliness" of a performance (if that in fact occurred in this one performance over the previous 30+ this year) can aide a judge in making his interpretation of content more clearer, but c'mon - this jump upward is more of a slap in the face to the several other lines that moved down to allow for this overnight change... as well as those stellar lines above them to which this one cannot compare.

• Like 2

I am a complete Cadets homer, and I really do believe that this show is the complete package. It is a work of art, and to me is the best show ths year.

That said, I absolutely thought BD had it last night. They were great, and show is genius.

I do believe that Crown will win tonight. Everyone wants them to, and they have the added benefit of deserving it. Congrats people I remember fondly from back in the day! Micheal and Leon, you are geniuses!

• Like 1

I felt bad for CC's drum line last night when they had the dropped stick. I thought "Now they've done it--BD has beaten them by a point many times this year and it's still close. Now the drum spread will be close to two points and people will be screaming". Dropped stick and they close the spread by more than half from the night before. Someone tell George Hopkins to have his drummers drop three sticks and his guard miss about six tosses and they'll have number 11. Who knew?

How about this? Who signed the corporation papers this winter for Music in Motion? Think someone in DCI is saying "Nice little corps you have there Mr. Cook, I mean Mr. Gibbs, be too bad if something happens to it"?

Honestly--I've been a HUGE Carolina Crown fan since 2003.

But....

• Like 1

I didn't get the Crown win last night either. Been a huge fan but they didn't have a good run. You mentioned the dropped sticks and the drops in the guard, but I also just felt the overall energy was flat (except the closer) and the drum line / eh / would have had them in 9th

Felt BD 1 pointed them last night - and this is coming from someone who is in no way a BD homer / I was also pulling for Cadets.

• Like 2

I didn't get the Crown win last night either. Been a huge fan but they didn't have a good run. You mentioned the dropped sticks and the drops in the guard, but I also just felt the overall energy was flat (except the closer) and the drum line / eh / would have had them in 9th

Felt BD 1 pointed them last night - and this is coming from someone who is in no way a BD homer / I was also pulling for Cadets.

Anyone that is not lying to themselves because they are Crown honks would agree with your statements. It was an embarrassment of judging last night and Fugett especially should be barred from judging ever again. Even if Crown wins tonight now it will be tainted because of the ######## judging last night putting them on last tonight.

Edited by ApathyJones

How many times do I have to say it.. DROPPED STICKS DO NOT EQUAL A BAD DRUM SCORE. Seriously, ask any drummer and I'm sure they would tell you they'd rather drop a stick than play a roll dirty (not that either are good, but one is worse). And as far as playing, Crown's drumline had a much better run last night. I don't agree with fourth place, was thinking more like fifth or sixth, but there is no doubt they were much better from prelims to semis.

Edited by drumcorpsfan4567
  • Like 5

Also the fact that a percussion score is far more than just the snare line. If everyone else nails their performance, and a snare drops a stick, it means absolutely nothing in terms of the drum score. Don't know why people think the snare line is the only section that matters. The pit is there too folks, and they're just as much of the score as everyone else.

I felt bad for CC's drum line last night when they had the dropped stick. I thought "Now they've done it--BD has beaten them by a point many times this year and it's still close. Now the drum spread will be close to two points and people will be screaming". Dropped stick and they close the spread by more than half from the night before. Someone tell George Hopkins to have his drummers drop three sticks and his guard miss about six tosses and they'll have number 11. Who knew?

Yes, haven't you seen the new percussion sheets? Crown is totally nailing it!

Do the performers consistently demonstrate
clarity of striking-instrument mishandling
?

Is appropriate
stumbling and clumsiness
demonstrated?

Do the performers consistently demonstrate
expressive fumbling and butterfingership
?

Is
clarity and uniformity
of pratfalls, goofs, and wobbling consistently demonstrated?

Considering all challenges, do the performers demonstrate
floundering, blundering, and ham-handedness
?

In all these regards
, how do the performers
compare
to other performers in the competition?

Edited by skywhopper