"OFFICIAL" FINALS THREAD

That's been the recent trend ( Other Corps are influenced by and follow aspects of the champion's style ) despite all the people who say otherwise...

I've heard this uttered before in some quarters, ie, that Corps follow the Champion the following season stylistically. But upon further scrutiny and analysis we see no evidence of this historically at all. Furthermore, some of the Champions shows we've seen actually utilizing aspects of lower placing Corps newer " stuff " from the previous year or years.

When Phantom Regiment won DCI in 2008 with " Spartacus ", what did the Blue Devils utilize from their show to win in 2009 with their theme " 1930 " ?...... When the Cavaliers won in 2006 with " The Machine " theme, what did the BD do in 2007 that resembled any of that with their 2007 show " Winged Victory " ? When The Cadets won in 2011 with " Angels and Demons ", what did BD do in 2012 with " Cabaret Voltaire " that resembled what the Cadets did the year before ?... When BD won in 2003 with " Phenomonom of Cool " what did the Cavaliers do in their show in 2004 of " OO7 " that resembled any of that ? After the Cavs won in 2004 with " 007 ", the Cadets won the following year in 2005 with " The Zone ". I see no trend of " follow the leader " ( Champion) in any of this, as a matter of fact. All the Corps that have won DCI titles the last decade from Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils, Cadets, Crown appear all unique and different to me. Each has forged their own unique style, and none of them seem to be copying the other at all to me.

Edited by BRASSO

So happy for Crown tonight. Well deserved win, and good for DCI to have a brand new first time champion. I hope all those corps that didn't make finals look at where Crown was eleven years ago (16th place and out of finals) and realize that they can become elite as well. I'm sure it took a lot of hard work, but Crown's rise has been impressive and inspiring.

This is SO right! Well put!

the roar of the crown when Phantom beat BD was louder, and it was an outdoor stadium

That's definitely true -- and I imagine mostly because of the surprise of it (at least Crown was able to win semis).

I joust with Brasso all the time....and I didn't take it that they MUST change their ways. I am always surprised by the fact that 20 or 21 corps put most of what he wants on the field and one does something different and he wants that one to change.....it's nuts.

You clearly misunderstand his position if this is how you characterize it. Have you considered trying to actually understand what people are saying instead of writing your own story that fits the argument you want to make? :tongue:

Hate to rain on this BD-Crown pissing match, but I have a question (which has already been discussed at length and beaten to death on DCP, but I'm admittedly way to lazy to scour all the threads for a decent answer).

I've only seen Crown's show once in theaters, and I know that percussion was a major concern this year. I'm not a drum guy but what EXACTLY was the issue? Was the book poorly written? Was the battery simply not as technically proficient as the other higher-scoring corps? Or a combination of factors?

At the risk of oversimplification - it was performance quality and consistency that kept Crown out of the top 3 in the percussion caption.

I've heard this uttered before in some quarters, ie, that Corps follow the Champion the following season stylistically. But upon further scrutiny and analysis we see no evidence of this historically at all. Furthermore, some of the Champions shows we've seen actually utilizing aspects of lower placing Corps newer " stuff " from the previous year or years.

When Phantom Regiment won DCI in 2008 with " Spartacus ", what did the Blue Devils utilize from their show to win in 2009 with their theme " 1930 " ?...... When the Cavaliers won in 2006 with " The Machine " theme, what did the BD do in 2007 that resembled any of that with their 2007 show " Winged Victory " ? When The Cadets won in 2011 with " Angels and Demons ", what did BD do in 2012 with " Cabaret Voltaire " that resembled what the Cadets did the year before ?... When BD won in 2003 with " Phenomonom of Cool " what did the Cavaliers do in their show in 2004 of " OO7 " that resembled any of that ? After the Cavs won in 2004 with " 007 ", the Cadets won the following year in 2005 with " The Zone ". I see no trend of " follow the leader " ( Champion) in any of this, as a matter of fact. All the Corps that have won DCI titles the last decade from Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils, Cadets, Crown appear all unique and different to me. Each has forged their own unique style, and none of them seem to be copying the other at all to me.

I would say certain corps do this, but I would say I like that there are those that do not follow in pursuit. How many more props in shows do we have now d/t the Blue Devils incorporating them into their several winning/competitive shows....mind you they seem to do it seemlessly and effortlessly though (eventhough I know it is harder than it looks to accomplish this).

At the risk of oversimplification, i'd say that lower placing corps are more likely to jump on design trends of the winning shows, rather than corps that are already doing pretty well competitively. Sure, crown's show was a little more 'weird' this year (for example), but outside of that general principle, does anyone actually see any BD design elements in their show?

The music was 100% crowns usual formula (common major tonalities, huge chords, endzone to endzone spreads, crazy exposed runs), and the narration / counting was closer to something cadets would have done than anything. Their use of props was completely traditional, static and un bd-like. Their body movement and dancing is unique to them, and is something that they really brought to the activity in 2009 as their own style. And as far as the story, and the way they chose to carry it out - everything was rather regimented and scripted...all the way down to the way the 'counters' drank their water before speaking. While folks tell me that BD plans their shows with the same detail, you'd be hard pressed to actually tell by watching the show. So again...completely different approaches.

• Like 1

I would argue that some of the visual aspects of Crown's show this year could have been influenced by BD's shows the last few years. Crown always uses some choreography, but this year's show had some more BD-like running to it. Perhaps that's just to fit the theme and could be coincidence. But when I first saw Crown's show, I thought "they're taking a page from BD's visual book."

Not sure if anyone had listed all the final (not just Finals) scores in one place yet, so:

1. 98.30 -- Carolina Crown -- “E=mc2”

2. 98.05 -- Blue Devils -- “The re:Rite of Spring”

3. 96.95 -- Cadets -- “Side by Side”

4. 96.85 -- Santa Clara Vanguard -- “Les Miserables”

5. 93.35 -- Bluecoats -- “…to look for America”

6. 93.25 -- Phantom Regiment -- “Triumphant Journey”

7. 90.50 -- Cavaliers -- “Secret Society”

8. 90.40 -- Boston Crusaders --“Rise”

9. 90.10 -- Madison Scouts -- “Corps of Brothers”

10. 87.75 -- Blue Knights -- “NoBeginningNoEnd”

11. 86.40 -- Spirit of Atlanta -- “Speakeasy”

12. 85.45 -- Blue Stars -- “Voodoo”

13. 86.05 -- Troopers -- “Magnificent 11”

14. 84.85 -- Crossmen -- “Protest”

15. 82.45 -- Colts -- “Field of Dreams”

16. 83.30 -- Pacific Crest -- “Transfixed”

17. 81.05 -- Oregon Crusaders -- “My Heart, My Battle, My Soul”

18. 79.25 -- Mandarins -- “Destination America”

19. 78.20 -- Academy -- “Piano Man”

20. 77.95 -- Blue Devils B -- “Warped” (O.C. #2 95.70)

21. 77.70 -- Vangard Cadets -- “The Art of War” (O.C. #1 96.15)

22. 75.40 -- Jersey Surf -- “Soul Surfin’”

23. 74.65 -- Genesis -- “mOZaic” (O.C. #3 91.55)

24. 72.85 -- Spartans -- “Live Free” (O.C. #4 90.50)

25. 72.75 -- Music City -- “Postcards from Havana” (O.C. #5 90.35)

26. 69.95 -- Gold -- “East Meets West” (O.C. #6 86.75)

27. 69.85 -- Cascades -- “Inescapable”

28. 69.05 -- Pioneer -- “Anam Nua”

29. 68.40 -- Legends -- “Ichabod” (O.C. #8 85.70)

30. 67.00 -- 7th Regiment -- “Luminosity” (O.C. #7 86.60)

31. 64.90 -- Raiders -- “The Raven” (O.C. #9 84.95)

32. 63.10 -- Colt Cadets -- “Red” (O.C. #10 80.90)

33. 60.90 -- Taipei Yuehfu -- “The Butterfly Lovers” (O.C. #11 77.35)

34. 58.25 -- Les Stentors -- “25tentors” (O.C. #12 76.65)

35. 55.60 -- Racine Scouts -- “From the Ashes” (O.C. #13 70.40)

36. 52.00 -- Blue Saints -- “A Canadian Journey” (O.C. #14 67.55)