2014 Predictions!

Hahaha.... Gotta cheer for Andy Smart, Thomas Kober and the rest of the BAC brass staff

Hahaha.... Gotta cheer for Andy Smart, Thomas Kober and the rest of the BAC brass staff

Interesting you should mention Andy Smart, Wes. Recently I went onto Youtube and played Andy's trumpet solo from " Everybody Loves the Blues" when he was the featured trumpet soloist in this song in the Theatre production of " BLAST" awhile back. ( I hadn't heard him play it for awhile ) Man, does he have trumpet chops or what ? Unreal talent.

Edited by BRASSO

And an incredible person as well

• Like 1

And an incredible person as well

Thats good to hesr, Wes.

Everybody's making updates with show announcements in mind, so I guess I'll go for it. Still, this is almost entirely based on my own dickish opinion and nothing else.

1. Blue Devils are locked in to win if you ask me. They've historically been this anomaly, this juggernaut and culmination of ridiculous strength in every category that I can't explain. I'm constantly confused over why they seem to be such a hard sell with a lot of fans (DCP in particular), but if you ask me, the Blue Devils exist right now as the most modern, strongest and best representative of DCI as a whole today. And holy hell this show! Now don't get me wrong, they could slip up by taking the theme too literal and it could get super hammy, but seeing what they did with Dada and the next year with Rewrite of Spring, I have full confidence in this prediction.

2. Carolina Crown. I'm not particularly interested in the show, and I know it's not unheard of for huge falls in placement from one year to another, even with champions, and I have heard rumors that brass is considerably weaker, some staff even commenting that it'll be an uphill battle if they want to win Brass this year. Still, I feel comfortable putting them here.

3. Bluecoats have a wildly interesting show and I think they certainly deserve to move up from where they've been the last three years.

4. Cadets, however much I seriously dislike that organization as a whole, and I (somewhat shamefully do), they 're always better than I give them credit for. But my god the show. It just sounds awful on paper.

5. Vanguard. I'd love for them to medal but the longer I sit and think about it the more uncomfortable I am with what they're doing this year. I don't know.

6. Phantom. A lot of people seem to be complaining about them sticking with an all-female guard and having shows driven by strong female characters, and those complaints are kinda gross to me. More power to PR for being the closest we have to a feminist voice in competitive drum corps. (Also, can uniforms hurt results? Legitimate question, because Phantom's are...pretty awful.)

7. Cavaliers. Only because of the competition. But I do think they'll improve wildly upon last year.

8. Boston. Love the show. Too risky? I don't know.

9. Spirit. Love the show. My god, love the show. Nice uniforms too.

10. Scouts.

11. Blue Knights.

12. Troopers. Wishful thinking.

I wonder if that's far off from my original prediction a couple months ago. I'm sure my opinion's evolved at least slightly. Whatever. I feel so silly doing all this because it's literally like playing with the results of hundreds of kids' months of insane work, but it is all in good fun. Honestly, I love every last one of them. Well, mostly.

• Like 1

Everybody's making updates with show announcements in mind, so I guess I'll go for it. Still, this is almost entirely based on my own dickish opinion and nothing else.

1. Blue Devils are locked in to win if you ask me. They've historically been this anomaly, this juggernaut and culmination of ridiculous strength in every category that I can't explain. I'm constantly confused over why they seem to be such a hard sell with a lot of fans (DCP in particular), but if you ask me, the Blue Devils exist right now as the most modern, strongest and best representative of DCI as a whole today. And holy hell this show! Now don't get me wrong, they could slip up by taking the theme too literal and it could get super hammy, but seeing what they did with Dada and the next year with Rewrite of Spring, I have full confidence in this prediction.

2. Carolina Crown. I'm not particularly interested in the show, and I know it's not unheard of for huge falls in placement from one year to another, even with champions, and I have heard rumors that brass is considerably weaker, some staff even commenting that it'll be an uphill battle if they want to win Brass this year. Still, I feel comfortable putting them here.

3. Bluecoats have a wildly interesting show and I think they certainly deserve to move up from where they've been the last three years.

4. Cadets, however much I seriously dislike that organization as a whole, and I (somewhat shamefully do), they 're always better than I give them credit for. But my god the show. It just sounds awful on paper.

5. Vanguard. I'd love for them to medal but the longer I sit and think about it the more uncomfortable I am with what they're doing this year. I don't know.

6. Phantom. A lot of people seem to be complaining about them sticking with an all-female guard and having shows driven by strong female characters, and those complaints are kinda gross to me. More power to PR for being the closest we have to a feminist voice in competitive drum corps. (Also, can uniforms hurt results? Legitimate question, because Phantom's are...pretty awful.)

7. Cavaliers. Only because of the competition. But I do think they'll improve wildly upon last year.

8. Boston. Love the show. Too risky? I don't know.

9. Spirit. Love the show. My god, love the show. Nice uniforms too.

10. Scouts.

11. Blue Knights.

12. Troopers. Wishful thinking.

I wonder if that's far off from my original prediction a couple months ago. I'm sure my opinion's evolved at least slightly. Whatever. I feel so silly doing all this because it's literally like playing with the results of hundreds of kids' months of insane work, but it is all in good fun. Honestly, I love every last one of them. Well, mostly.

Wow, we disagree on a LOT of things. Have you heard Crown's brass this year? Anyway, thanks for the read.

Wow, we disagree on a LOT of things. Have you heard Crown's brass this year? Anyway, thanks for the read.

I haven't. And I could be totally wrong. Like I said, it's just based on rumors.

Edited by KirkAnthony

I haven't. And I could be totally wrong. Like I said, it's just based on rumors.

There are videos that have been floating around of both BD and Crown. Crown sounds incredible! BD sounds good as well.

They're trying a couple of similar ideas this year (instrument swaps).

It's going to be a great year, so have fun!

• Like 2

Don't believe everything you hear. You've got some interesting opinions, I'll give you that.

Well growing up in BD land all my life I bet you think you know what I am going to say but I'm not!

IT IS TIME FOR SCV TO BRING IT HOME!

Scheherazade!

• Like 1