Recommend shows that have never been done!

"New Morning for the World: Daybreak of Freedom" by Joseph Schwantner.

I would ditch the narration (or scale it back massively) and possible ditch the entire theme (black civil rights).

The music could work thematically in any number of ways.

I particularly like how percussive and brass-focused this piece is. There are entire sections (some of the slow sections) that could be cut (original score is about 24 min.) making editing/ rescoring the piece for drum corps pretty straightforward. The ending is really quiet, eerie, and haunting. This composition would definitely stand out on the drum corps field and be challenging to produce, but imo could be re-tooled into a really interesting and dynamic drum corps show.

Edited by ordsw24

LOVE to see a top 4 Corps do Star Wars!!!!!! Imagine Crown, Cadets, BD or SCV doing the Empire March! EPIC!

I get the rights would be hard to secure but...since Disney owns the rights now, and Disney likes DCI...

What ever happened to the Spirit of Disney Award?

Sibelius show. Dead serious about that.

More Karl Jenkin's. His Armed Man works could translate very well. Hint, hint Carolina Crown

Would really enjoy someone like Bluecoats explore more of Imogen Heap's or Sara Bareilles' music. Lot of good stuff that could translate.

I'm waiting to see who will be the first corps to use the music from Pacific Rim on the field. Either the main theme, or the scene where they drift into Mako's memory, that doesn't seem to be on the soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2qZPcIdBS0

Edited by fsubone
  • Like 1

I would like to see a little stand-up comedy during the pre-show to warm up the crowd. Rip on the other corps, the judges, DCI personalities. Half the people on DCP could submit material.

• Like 4

I keep a website of great music that surprisingly no corps has ever done:

http://www.hardbat.com/NeverDone.html

You get points just for having Dream Theater on that list! :worthy:

• Like 1

You get points just for having Dream Theater on that list! :worthy:/>

I believe someone did a Dream Theatre show a couple of years back, Teal Sound I think?

• Like 6

Would people kill me if I suggested a Lord of the Rings show? :D

Given my nickname, it should be obvious I wouldn't object to that suggestion.

Of course, since I dislike the LOTR films and am not moved by Howard Shore's score, I'd hope you're referring to the Johan de Meij symphony or other works inspired by Tolkien!

Given my nickname, it should be obvious I wouldn't object to that suggestion.

Of course, since I dislike the LOTR films and am not moved by Howard Shore's score, I'd hope you're referring to the Johan de Meij symphony or other works inspired by Tolkien!

And those would be impossible. de Meij is notoriously impossible to get copyright permission for, and I think Howard Shore is just as stingy about the LOTR scores. A high school in my area got a Cease and Desist order from him people for trying to use a bit of the music.

de Meij is notoriously impossible to get copyright permission for ...

Les Stentors performed two movements from de Meij's Lord of the Rings this year; I wonder if they'll survive to the CD/DVD. I met de Meij after the LOTR symphony was performed at Valparaiso in March and spoke with him briefly about Cadets '99.

I believe Aulis Sallinen wrote a Tolkien-themed symphony.

Edited by N.E. Brigand