First Show You Ever Saw...

Drums Along the Rockies, 2002. What a show to be my first live DCI experience!

All I can possibly remember is the 02 Cavaliers, one week before finals.

You've probably heard people fall over themselves with exclamations of wonder for that one and dismissed it as hyperbole.

It is not.

If you didn't get a chance to see that one live, you have my utter and complete sympathy. I had never seen anything like it before, and I still haven't since. I can't overstate how earth shattering it was to behold.

Because of some lingering health issues, it was too late for me to jump in the action, but I got to live vicariously through my BK marching roommate the next few summers, and have been obsessed ever since!

1983 - Anaheim. Don't remember the name of the show, but the line-up included SCV, BD, Freelancers, VK, Sky Ryders, Crossmen, Troopers, Valley Fever, San Jose Raiders, Kingsmen, and a handful of other corps I now don't recall. I went with my high school band. No one from my HS to that point had ever marched in a corps, but over the next few years several of us went to SCV, Freelancers, VK and BD. Great memories.

My second show was later that summer...maybe the next weekend. Odyssey Classic. I think it was sponsored by the LA Chinese D&BC. Trophies had big old sitting Buddhas on the top. And 30 years later it's still the only corps show I've ever been to that had Chinese food as a concession. I think there was an Odyssey Classic show through maybe like 1985. I miss that show.

• Like 1

Band director is pretty high up in DCI and he took us to the Massillon, OH show in 2006. I saw the Cadets, Bluecoats, Blue Devils and Cavaliers if I remember right. Definitely a good way to start off my Drum Corps knowledge. Unfortunately, I set it aside until my next show in early 2008 in Madison, WI where there were like 20 or so corps. That was where I fell in love with Carolina Crown and I never looked back.

Ankeny 2003.

Ended up seeing Dekalb (great 2 day show with a bunch of the east coast corps there), and indianapolis that summer as well.

Our Marching Band Sponsored a DCI show in Overland Park, KS. I still have one of the posters. I remember Crossmen and Sky Ryder were the better of the Corps in the contest. I'll have to take a look at the poster again for the rest of the corps.

Crossmen had the bugles with Silver Bodies and Brass Bells which I thought were really cool at the time. Those Bugle Lines had a lot of Impact.

1969 Clifton NJ I remember the Cadets Sac Boston 27th Muchachos and Bridgemen later that summer I joined the Bridgemen.

With the exception of MikeD and you I feel old :tongue:/> (well hit 56 yesterday)...

Another wierdie for me compared to today is I joined TWO corps before I saw my first show. Joined a little local corps Thanksgiving weekend 1973 and they folded to merge with another corps that had been inactive for a season (Westshoremen). So belonged to a pair of corps (and did some parades) before I ever saw a corps show.

And because Westshore was reforming we were late in getting the season starting in 74. Day AFTER my first show we had our first drill rehearsal IIRC.

Thanks all...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Mid 80's Parade Stadium in Twin Cities - Remember SCV and Sky Ryders being my faves.... remember crowd loving the men from Madison and the announcer with a drawn out Blueeeeeeeeeeee Devils

That announcer was none other than the great Joe Bruno, who was the voice of DCI Midwest/Whitewater forever, as well as the voice on this year's Madison Scouts introduction.

Joe was the Drum Beauty announcer in the 1980s.