Can someone explain the G Bugles?

Too much of the discussion focuses on key, rather than the design. Back when dinosaurs roamed the planet and my musical journey began, bands and drum corps played completely dissimilar instruments. It had nothing to do with the key. It was about the shape and construction of the instrument. The defining element of drum corps bugles was and still is the bell front design. There wasn't a marching band anywhere that employed straight bell front baritones, euphoniums, or tubas. My high school band, as did the vast majority, marched their concert instruments, except for switching out the tubas for sousaphones. Yes, the keys were different, but they weren't similar instruments of different lengths.

During the 1970's, the design of outdoor marching brass began to converge. Corps added upright valves and bands adopted the bell front design of the drum corps bugle. At that point, the instruments began to resemble one another, with the key of the instrument now becoming a more important factor. Many believed that the key of the instrument was more than an aural distinction. It became a line of demarkation that made the drum and bugle corps activity unique.

By the 1990's, both Kanstul and Dynasty produced side by side sets of marching brass instruments for corps and bands. A novice would be have been hard pressed to tell one from the other by looking at them. For reasons that have been discussed in the thread, corps switched keys to Bb and F instruments. While this is the traditional key of bands, the design of the instruments is one based on the single valve bugle, with it's distinctive straight bell front that I played in my youth. One could argue that bands adopted drum corps bugles and one could argue that drum corps adopted band instruments. There is truth in both points of view.

As far as sound, there have been great drum corps brass lines throughout the history of the activity. I've enjoyed them all G or Bb/F. It's really about the performers and all the hard work and practice they put in over the course of the season to make drum corps the world's best arena for outdoor brass performance.

Very well said Jeff! That provides a lot of valuable insight that I personally had not thought of before.

On another subtopic brought up in this thread, regarding playing style/technique: I think it's important to remember that the switch to B flats came in the early- to mid-200's, when Cavaliers were dominating DCI. We all know that they emphasized tone quality, balance, and blend much more over sheer volume. The judges obviously liked it, and it seems to me that many other corps started emulating that approach. Maybe not to the same extreme as Cavies, but at least to a certain extent.

As a Euph player BITD, I had to learn to read music in Bass Clef, Treble Clef, Alto Clef, AND Tenor Clef depending on the music. I know that trombone players need to also do this ( maybe NOT the treble clef so much, but they have to learn the other clefs too).

Also, there are so many baritone/euph players that get their start on trumpet and then later switch over to baritone. Since trumpet music is written in treble clef, we see bass clef and treble clef parts for the baritones as a matter of course. Any decent baritone player should be able to switch between bass clef and treble clef, period. That adjustment isn't too difficult.

Also,

It doesn't look like Bb/F instruments are REALLY cheaper... I know this rule change was marketed on that, but look at the reality:

Kanstul Model 100 G Soprano MSRP is $880; Model 102 G Power Bore MSRP is $950. A Model 103 Bb Marching Trumpet MSRP is $1,705!

Bb is DOUBLE the price of G! blink.gif

But there is a re-sale market for the Bb horns.

I've heard that G-bugles were easier to scream on. Is that true?

I've heard that G-bugles were easier to scream on. Is that true?

Not really IMO. The double C is there on either one

Not really IMO. The double C is there on either one

and double C on a G bugle is a minor third lower than double C on a B-flat trumpet

• Like 1

and double C on a G bugle is a minor third lower than double C on a B-flat trumpet

This is absolutely correct! But then, wouldn't it sound like it was a minor 3rd lower too? I mean a note is a note and the listener isn't into the note, they like how it sounds!

If you listen to the recordings from back in the day, those guys were wailing loud and high, it sounded high enough to me... How bout you?

• Like 1

Why do you need to resell horns? Whats wrong with buying a line if horns and taking care of and maintaining them and replace as needed?

Because sponsorship deals. The horn companies come out with new and improved models all of the time, so the corps sell off their horns after a year or two to finance new horns. Also, drum corps is very tough on instruments, so it's hard to keep them around for multiple years.

Why do you need to resell horns? Whats wrong with buying a line if horns and taking care of and maintaining them and replace as needed?

Like FSUbone said, they're hard to maintain. Horns get DESTROYED in drum corps, even when used by mature members.

If you tried to use the same hornline for 5 years, you would end up short by a few horns in every section, plus many that would be in playable but not nice condition.

I only got a new horn once while a marched, and it was one of the best days of my life! thumbup.gif

Yep. I should probably rephrase my comment, meant it to say I can hit it on either.