Do band directors SUPPORT or UNSUPPORT drum corps? And why?

I support it. Kids that do drum corps can learn valuable leadership skills and musical skills that they can bring back to their own band.

I would imagine there are lots of directors that don't give 2 craps about drum corps though. There are far too many directors out there that are in charge of marching bands that really hate marching band.

Another reason to not support it is the time frame of the seasons. There are probably directors that don't want kids to miss out on band camps.

• Like 2

I've seen the positives and negatives of both sides.

The directors that encourage DCI and the activities that come with DCI have usually experienced it themselves. I was lucky enough to have a Director who marched tenors with the Cavies mid to late 70's and was enthusiastic about getting information from ALL of the local drum corps audition times and helped us work on audition music and what we should know going in.

Now the other side. I've worked for a few bands that dislike the "elitist" attitude some of their students come back with after tour. This I do put fault on some corps. It is an advantage to have marched with a top notch corps, but when you go back to "real life" of Band Camp and concert season, some kids don't come back to it. They feel they are better and are very cocky. They are great (sometimes) at what they do in the marching band season, but it can cause a lot of issues if they don't turn down those levels.

I will always be a huge advocate of the Music Marching League and will always will and encourage people to join and take advantage of this very short lived life experience.

Both. Lots of band directors have drum corps experience, so are going to support it and push their kids to participate. Many others never participated, and couldn't really care less about drum corps or marching band in general. I've gone to school with future educators who hate everything to do with marching band, and think it is the scourge of music education. That's their opinion of course.

Some also come down on the side that it takes time away from their band camps, so they don't want kids to participate. I would much rather my students come back from corps with those skills than spend a week being bored out of their minds learning to march an 8-to-5 forwards and backwards.

• Like 1

From my experience the directors I know that didn't support DCI were those who played classical style, symphonic or a wood wind instrument. Their view is classical percussion as an example is the only form of musicality there is and dislike all marching in general, the woodwind directors I knew we're either disgruntled they couldn't march, but that's my read and they would never openly say that.

My old band director supported it all the way. He'd take all of the students to DCI shows. My new director actually marched and I believe he said he's judged too. So yes, band directors support DCI

For any kids coming back from DCI tour to their school bands, I think it's a director's job to nip any issues in the bud. Have a sit down with them and explain the reality of the situation... this ain't drum corps. You can be a detriment or a help to this organization... your choice... just remember, one path will lead to a successful season for all of us, one path will lead to your early retirement from the band program.

Again, your choice. (with a smile, of course! :)

• Like 3