Do band directors SUPPORT or UNSUPPORT drum corps? And why?

Band people are generally music supporters just as jocks are generally athletic supporters. w00t.gif

...he said athletic supporters!...shutup.gif

My band directors didn't really care either way. We had a few people march different corps...Glassmen, SCV, Academy, and BD mainly. I think they didn't like that we missed our 4th of July parades (especially when we were band officers) but otherwise it didn't matter to them. I agree with other posters, you really have to be vigilant to not let ego get in the way when you come home. I had that issue myself and learned a hard lesson my junior year of HS coming back, thinking I was Mr. Bad### my first year with BD.

Being a designer, I work with a lot of directors. Majority of my clients do not support it. They didn't eve carry their group to the local event that had over a dozen corps at it.

Most of this comes down from three lines of thought with directors:

They don't want kids with big heads coming back to their program. Behind the scenes, you find out that about 1/2 are afraid of member being bored.

They don't want kids coming back with bad chops. (Rare and is more of a college issue)

Or it is simply a case of their own ego. They want kids to learn their way and ONLY their way. This is to biggest factor I see and tend to be from programs where only the concert band is strong.

Most cases I see are from directors that have no clue on what the activity is all about. Also, regional factors add to the issue.

Edited by CloudHype
  • Like 1

I think band directors are just tired. Can't blame them. Not to go on a rant, there's a reason I taught for a few years and bailed (band director). And it wasn't because I sucked (always got superior ratings), but, it was the system - parents, administration, and other teachers. Took a program from 47 kids to 283 in two years. My band director buddies look stressed, never happy - just overworked.

Edited by alumniof

Id like to hear the reality of it.

My impression is that it depends on the philosophy of the director. My band director didn't care whether or not we put on a good show. Her main concern was that we became the best musicians we could be. That meant that we played a huge diversity of music over the school year, and we never did the same show or concert music twice. We became great sight readers, knew our scales, and developed improvisational skills. Although our band never won festivals, our members dominated in district honor band. Drumcorps was something our director found entertaining, but she didn't consider it important one way or another in terms of music education.

Other directors who want to put on a great show and have a competitive band look to drumcorps and learn from it.

Personally, I think that the pure education model is a good complement to corps, and I think that corps members and parent would be well advised to let school music do their thing, and not try and pressure it to turn into another corps. There is more to music than perfecting one good show.

• Like 2

We had 2 different band directors during my kids' tenure in High School. Both supported their Drum Corps summer activities because of the experience brought back to the band in the Fall. The directors also took groups to the DCI Atlanta as well as hosting Pacific Crest before the regional.

I think band directors who enjoy teaching the marching arts are out there. And if we keep sending out music educators with Drum Corps experience, maybe we can increase their numbers.

The directors who do not support it, should probably take a look at the marching programs that are state finalist/champions/BOA contenders. Most of those programs have directors and/or staff who have marched/taught drum corps. If you look at the best of the best (Woodlands H.S./Avon H.S.) those directors (Joni Perez (Woodlands)/Jay Webb and Matt Harloff (Avon)) have carried their programs to the top. I am sure that they encourage their kids to march.

we should also probably acknowledge that "BOA bands" (and others on that level but don't compete in BOA regularly) are a very very very very small fraction on the marching bands in the U.S.

even within BOA, the vast majority of high schools could never be an Avon or Woodlands, regardless of what they do.

• Like 2

we should also probably acknowledge that "BOA bands" (and others on that level but don't compete in BOA regularly) are a very very very very small fraction on the marching bands in the U.S.

even within BOA, the vast majority of high schools could never be an Avon or Woodlands, regardless of what they do.

You would think that they would want to strive to be that way, right?

• Like 1