I KNEW this was coming.

mountain-molehill.gif

If that mountain is big enough to have a snow-capped peaked, that molehill must be at least a couple hundred feet tall. :rolleyes::ph34r:

To show you how silly this is, most Principals, School Administrators, are on summer recess during the summer DCI competitive season and the last thing on their minds then is the use of imitation toy wooden rifles in Show Performances of DCI Corps way back at their school's football fields. This stuff is too funny for words, imo.

Sadly, there have been instances where school rules have prohibited the use of rifles by the bad/guard. It's a stupid problem, but that doesn't mean it can't be a real one.

To show you how silly this is, most Principals, School Administrators, are on summer recess during the summer DCI competitive season and the last thing on their minds then is the use of imitation toy wooden rifles in Show Performances of DCI Corps way back at their school's football fields. This stuff is too funny for words, imo.

To your point, I was being half serious. In all the years I've been involved with shows, we've had complaints about noise (noise? blink.gif/>) from neighbors, kids "sleeping together in the gym", schools left in a mess, conflicts with sports coaches, demanding corps directors (not naming names here), girls wearing too skimpy clothes (again, blink.gif/>), too few bathrooms at the stadium, and even long lines at the laundromat. But never, ever, has anyone complained about the equipment being used on the field.

And their complaints are usually squelched when we turn over that nice, fat check after the show. tongue.gif/>

Edited by garfield

haha... don't pretend that school officials are complaining about the use of imitation toy rifles in DCI Summer show performances. They're not. To my knowledge, not a single school official anywhere has complained about the use of ANYTHING on their school field in DCI summer show Corps performances. To suggest otherwise, is to introduce something into the DCP discussion thast is essentially a non issue.

Simple question to you: can you cite one example of a school official espressing his or her concerns or opposition to DCI ( or the Corps )in their official capacity as a school official about ANYTHING in a DCI Corps show performance that offended them in some way ?

Based on NakedEye's post of 731pm, you thought he was saying school admins cared about DCI issues. That's a non issue; I don't think he or anyone else was saying that.

However, I'd like you to state succinctly your position on alternate rifles. Here's mine, for example:

1. I'd agree with school admins (or guard instructors themselves) if they choose to use alternates for either of these reasons:

A. Sufficient pressure from PC groups.

B. Symbolism not fitting a show theme.

2. I would DISagree with the decision to use alternates purely out of fear of violence in the schools. That's silly.

3. It's fine if they choose to use rifles if the theme warrants.

4. Personally I'd avoid using rifles where the theme doesn't fit.

Your turn.

Edited by Pete Freedman

If you have no problem with the use of alternates, then I guess you agree with George Hopkins?

Yes, appparently so.

But what this has to do with anything at all is beyond me.

I believed in Mussolini's quest ( and subsequent accomplishment in this area ) of making the trains of Italy run on time too. But what does this have to do with my overall assessment and my agreement of most of the issues with Benito Mussolini ? Or for that matter, George Hopkins ? ( now, don't go off the track and saying that I said that GH was BM on me... haha!)

Edited by BRASSO

So many schools have zero tolerance policies on toy guns on campus that, regardless of history, tradition, etc., having the bands and guards use toy guns and swords could be seen as putting the directors in an awkward position.

My comments above were in reply to your use of " having guards USE toy guns and swords ". I never replied to the marketing of this stuff latere in the offseason . I concentrated on your words of your not liking the " USE " of them by Guards in Drum Corps in the summer. My reply all along on here has been concentrated on the silliness of what school officials might think of the " USE" of this stuff on their school fields in the summers.

Edited by BRASSO

Sadly, there have been instances where school rules have prohibited the use of rifles by the bad/guard. It's a stupid problem, but that doesn't mean it can't be a real one.

well, if it's a bad/guard, I don't think they should be spinning anything..... :tongue:

If that mountain is big enough to have a snow-capped peaked, that molehill must be at least a couple hundred feet tall. :rolleyes:/> :ph34r:/>

Its actually melted down to 150 feet now due to the hole in the Ozone Layer that was initially caused by the Spirit of Atlanta Brass Line in the summer of 1980 and accelerated and made larger by the Madison Scouts brass line in the continental USA in the summer of 1995.