I KNEW this was coming.

Its actually melted down to 150 feet now due to the hole in the Ozone Layer that was initially caused by the Spirit of Atlanta Brass Line in the summer of 1980 and accelerated and made larger by the Madison Scouts brass line in the continental USA in the summer of 1995.

That actually makes a lot more sense than THIS THREAD :thumbup:

Sadly, there have been instances where school rules have prohibited the use of rifles by the bad/guard. It's a stupid problem, but that doesn't mean it can't be a real one.

I have no issue if some local school somewhere wants to put in some silly rules. Thats up to the local citizenry how much stupidity they want to allow to take place in their schools with their tax dollars. All I 'm saying is that these officials with these dopey silly ideas should not influence the more reasonable people in DCI in what they decide to do. As near as I can tell, these few officials in a few misguided communities are not trying to force their stupidity upon DCI summer show performances, so its really a non starter as an issue for DCI Corps in my view. Why create an issue when there really isn't one, is my position on this isolated and rare silliness we find in a couple of places.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes, appparently so.

But what this has to do with anything at all is beyond me.

I believed in Mussolini's quest ( and subsequent accomplishment in this area ) of making the trains of Italy run on time too. But what does this have to do with my overall assessment and my agreement of most of the issues with Benito Mussolini ? Or for that matter, George Hopkins ? ( now, don't go off the track and saying that I said that GH was BM on me... haha!)

Ew.

:tongue:/>

LOL! Ba-dum, bum.

Does your wife roll her eyes when you're around?

:tongue:/>/>

I can't remember, we've been divorced since 85 :thumbup:

They are also selling guard equipment: the Loop, the Hook, the Bolt. Here's the clincher: "Gone are the implements of war such as the sabre and rifle..."

.....To be replaced by Pacifist induced twirly implements carried by young people in makeup and in odd looking unisex costumes that will no doubt have relevance to every non "war" themed show imaginable.

Oh Happy Days.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

So here's the quote:

So many schools have zero tolerance policies on toy guns on campus that, regardless of history, tradition, etc., having the bands and guards use toy guns and swords could be seen as putting the directors in an awkward position.

My comments above were in reply to your use of " having guards USE toy guns and swords ". I never replied to the marketing of this stuff latere in the offseason . I concentrated on your words of your not liking the " USE " of them by Guards in Drum Corps in the summer. My reply all along on here has been concentrated on the silliness of what school officials might think of the " USE" of this stuff on their school fields in the summers.

He never said that. Nobody said that. He meant school marching band color guards. Nobody was talking about DCI worrying about school admins (until you did).

I have no issue if some local school somewhere wants to put in some silly rules. Thats up to the local citizenry how much stupidity they want to allow to take place in their schools with their tax dollars. All I 'm saying is that these officials with these dopey silly ideas should not influence the more reasonable people in DCI in what they decide to do. As near as I can tell, these few officials in a few misguided communities are not trying to force their stupidity upon DCI summer show performances, so its really a non starter as an issue for DCI Corps in my view. Why create an issue when there really isn't one, is my position on this isolated and rare silliness we find in a couple of places.

All you're doing is calling these admins stupid, misguided, silly, and dopey.

Who says it's only a couple of places? Evidence please?

And, by the way, George Hopkins is obviously on board with this position. So it is definitely not "isolated and rare silliness we find in a couple of places."

You can't insult this issue away.

• Like 2

Is it ok to think that fake rifles and sabers are way more interesting than "ergonomically designed throwing implements" ?

What the heck, why should The Cadets stop with the elimination of the rifles and the sabres ?

The Cadets should maybe just be the first Corps to eliminate the DM military salute to the crowd with the serious demeanor of a miliary officer.

Don't even call him or her a "Drum Major"... ( " Major " has militaristic officer connotations ). Just have the " Conductor" come out with a big wide grin and simply wave to the audience. Sort of like a Lil Geoffrey on the podium ( or a female equivalent ), Scrap the Cadets style military style uniform they've had since the 1930's while they're at it. And why even march in step at all ? Isn't marching in step, too military like ? Scrap the " war like " shako with the chin strap... also has vestiges of the military too. Eliminate the name " Corps " as well, as lets be honest the military " Corps " all sometimes hve to go off to " war " too. The Cadets could also sell off all their old trophies won in their earlier years of Championships won at the VFW and American Legion shows, as these organizations too were filled with " war like" people that participated with real rifles and real sabres and real swords in real " wars " not " pretend wars " show themes offered up on a summer show football field. The Cadets could even drop their name, as lets face it, with the current uniforms and the name " The Cadets " people might associate this with " war ", and thats probably a nono, so maybe they should sell off their naming rights and select a " non war like " name for themselves too. The Cadets could go to a neutral, non threatening, non agressive nomenclature for themselves such as " The Kaydettes ", with lots of colors throughout with the marchers attire and twirly thingys they can use as implements of " non war ". The name " uniforms " should likewise be changed as it likewise can connote some level of combat. If we use the phrase for the Kaydettes attire as " costumes " it generally connotes a sense of frivolity and whimsicalness and likewise non agressive, passive behaviors much more in keeping with the non competition combat useage of the phrase " uniforms ".

If the Cadets do these things I see no reason in the world that the Cadets can not become unlike anything they've been for the last 75 years and will be well on their way to distancing themselves from anything at all that might be remotely construed by anyone somewhere as "war like ". So I hope they don't intend to stop just with the elimination of the "war implements" of the rifles and sabres. There is lots and lots other other things they will need to do to separate themselves from all things " war " like in my opinion. But if they put their collective heads together they should be able to fully distance themselves completely from all vestiges of anything with a military bearing at all.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Why do we care about this?

Oh because, George Hopkins. OP and Some other of you guys are pathetic... "You KNEW" that this this was coming? Because you are late to the band wagon on this one... This topic has been exhausted with Hopkins in the center.

This absolutely has nothing to do with be being Politically Correct. Colorguard use different flags other than the American Flag so why can't they also use equipment other than swords or sabers?

Oh but wait we're upset because Hoppy called them "implements of war"! How can you be angered by this? When that is exactly what they are? For better or worse or indifference that is what rifles and sabers are.

The irony is that we are so accustomed to changing a corps uniform, props, music, drill, flags and literally everything about a corps show so that none of it resembles anything militaristic... But then we point out... Oh why is the Colorguard spinning a rifle in a show about science or circles? And then it's painfully obvious that the equipment Colorguard spin should also be changed regardless of the reason.

And that some of you are offended because a CEO that runs a non-profit that teaches Youth Education may just want to remove that imagery from his organization. What exactly are you trying to prove? What exactly are you defending by vocalizing this? Do fake rifles and sabers really need to be defended? People flipping out about this are being dogmatic and are really the only one's who lack common sense...

Madison did a graphic show about the Military and not even George would fault them for using a visual representation of implements of war in their show... It MADE sense! But in many other show contexts we become immune to simply accept it even though designers go to much length to change literally everything else to fit the concept.

I love you.

• Like 2