I KNEW this was coming.

mountain-molehill.gif

####......Shinola! :tongue:/> ( this is fun)

• Like 1

So many schools have zero tolerance policies on toy guns on campus that, regardless of history, tradition, etc., having the bands and guards use toy guns and swords could be seen as putting the directors in an awkward position. I would imagine at least some will choose these as an option for sidestepping the whole debate

My guess, you live in a small town, or a rural town, or a suburban town.

Otherwise, you'd realize that hundreds of thousands of youth each day enter a school with armed security up and down the halls. The teachers are armed with a firearm. The Principal is armed with a firearm, as are other Administrative officials. Additionally, lots of schools and colleges have Fencing teams. These are not toy guns or swords in the schools on a daily basis in thousands of Schools and Colleges across America. These are real firearms, real swords on campus. West Virginia ( and others ) fires off rounds of musket fire at football games. Many schools have howitzers firing off real rounds of ammunition at games on campus. They have for years.. nobody has a fit. Hundreds of Schools and Colleges have ROTC Units on campus, most with real rifles for training purposes on campus. And on and on. The notion then that some school official somwhere might need a fainting couch and smelling salts to revive them from the thought that some Drum Corps... somwhere... on a summer tour on school field might have immitation toy rifles in their Drum Corps show is downright hilarious to me. Talk about a concern of something thats never materialized. Plus, it sort of silly when the schools are dealing daily with hundreds of issues of much more pressing concerns than immitation toy rifles in summer DCI Corps. Some people in Drum Corps need to just get a grip, as they have completely jumped the shark on this non issue of immitation toy rifles in summer DCI Drum Corps. Its really funny to me to hear of a concern of a toy rifle in a Performing Arts performance, Drum Corps or otherwise. It really is funny to me and brings me a chuckle. :biggrin: Lol!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

mountain-molehill.gif

There is a saying that sometimes a picture is worth more than a thousands words.

This is but one example... Lol!!

Well played, Sir!

• Like 1

My guess, you live in a small town, or a rural town, or a suburban town.

Good. Start right out with the ad hominem suggestion.

Otherwise, you'd realize that hundreds of thousands of youth each day enter a school with armed security up and down the halls. The teachers are armed with a firearm. The Principal is armed with a firearm, as are other Administrative officials.

Excellent. Bring up the unsupported claim that X exists in related contexts as an argument that X should exist in this context. Some people really are that gullible. Keep going.

Additionally, lots of schools and colleges have Fencing teams.

Would they use foils and sabres, if foils and sabres weren't necessary or relevant in that activity? Er, I mean, Good, more stuff about weapons sometimes being OK, therefore always being OK.

These are not toy guns or swords in the schools on a daily basis in thousands of Schools and Colleges across America. These are real firearms, real swords on campus.

Right. These firearms are actually necessary, just like in drum co ... wait, I think you're arguing the wrong side on this one.

West Virginia ( and others ) fires off rounds of musket fire at football games. Many schools have howitzers firing off real rounds of ammunition at games on campus. They have for years.. nobody has a fit.

Nobody has a fit? Good. Because I would have thought lots of college students would have had a problem with it at various places, but if you're sure nobody has a problem with it, that's good enough for me.

Hundreds of Schools and Colleges have ROTC Units on campus, most with real rifles for training purposes on campus. And on and on.

Good; more people who actually need firearms used as an example of why some schools choosing not to use symbolic firearms is a mistake. (I'm not sure they're this gullible, Brasso.)

The notion then that some school official somwhere might need a fainting couch and smelling salts to revive them from the thought that some Drum Corps... somwhere... on a summer tour on school field might have immitation toy rifles in their Drum Corps show is downright hilarious to me.

Yes! Wait ... did anyone mention schools being concerned about what drum corps do? Doesn't matter, go with it. You're on a roll!

Talk about a concern of something thats never materialized.

A concern that itself has never materialized, but time to finish it off.

Plus, it sort of silly when the schools are dealing daily with hundreds of issues of much more pressing concerns than immitation toy rifles in summer DCI Corps. Some people need to just get a grip, imo.

I don't even know if that fallacy exists formally: Y is more important than X, therefore X.

Anyway, well done. This is perfect for the one guy reading this who can be made to believe that it's wrong and foolish to decide against using a particular symbol, based on the fact that others make the opposite decision, and still others need to use the real thing symbolized by it. For that one guy your argument is perfect.

• Like 1

[/size]

Are you elated to the Nakedeye poster ? The reason I ask is because my response was to him, and it wasn't really " ad hominen" to him imo... thats a bit of hyperbole by you.

[/size]

[/size]

Excellent. Bring up the unsupported claim that X exists in related contexts as an argument that X should exist in this context. Some people really are that gullible. Keep going.

[/size]

Would they use foils and sabres, if foils and sabres weren't necessary or relevant in that activity? Er, I mean, Good, more stuff about weapons sometimes being OK, therefore always being OK.

[/size]

Right. These firearms are actually necessary, just like in drum co ... wait, I think you're arguing the wrong side on this one.

Nobody has a fit? Good. Because I would have thought lots of college students would have had a problem with it at various places, but if you're sure nobody has a problem with it, that's good enough for me.

Good; more people who actually need firearms used as an example of why some schools choosing not to use symbolic firearms is a mistake. (I'm not sure they're this gullible, Brasso.)

Yes! Wait ... did anyone mention schools being concerned about what drum corps do? Doesn't matter, go with it. You're on a roll!

A concern that itself has never materialized, but time to finish it off.

I don't even know if that fallacy exists formally: Y is more important than X, therefore X.

Anyway, well done. This is perfect for the one guy reading this who can be made to believe that it's wrong and foolish to decide against using a particular symbol, based on the fact that others make the opposite decision, and still others need to use the real thing symbolized by it. For that one guy your argument is perfect.

This was a compelling defense on why we should be worried that some School Administrator somewhere in this wide wide world might have a potential problem with imitation toy rifles in summer Drum Corps show performances. Speaking of " ad hominen" attacks your response was chock full of such to me. But thats cool... as I really can see now why we should all be concerned as you ( a few others might be ) that imitation toy rifles in Drum Corps are an issue of concern. Yet, to my knowledge, not a single school administrator anywhere finds it of any concern to them at all. Thats why angry people like you have people like me in stitches. Aparently, you have no idea how silly you are to be concerned with what has not been of concern from the people that the anti toys people claim might be offended. Its funny. It is. These are toys. I laugh at the sheer nonsense of it. If this non issue is of serious concern to you, thats fine. I believe its much todo about nothing, as there has been no complaints in any school official anywhere from anyone regarding the appropriateness or nonappropriateness of ANYTHING in a DCI Summer tour show performance... and that why people like me chuckle at it all.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The guard are basically dancers now anyway (some darn good ones a lot of the time!). There's not really a big reason they should continue spinning military tools if it doesn't fit with the theme of the show.

Oh man, are some of us getting to be totally devoid now of imagination ?

I loved the Troopers show this season. The Music was wonderful, the Theme ( " Magnificent 7 ") was in keeping with this Corps historical roots. But tell us honestly now,... did the Troopers Guard uniforms " fit the theme " of the " Magnificent 7 " theme ? Really ? If you said " yes ", then I don't know if you saw the movie " Magnificent 7 ", but if you did, its hard to believe that the Guard and its uniforms of the Troopers this summer fit " with the theme of the show ". But guess what ? Its ok. We learn to utilize our imaginations and we learn to take artistic license, just as the Show Designers certainly do when they design these shows. There are LOTS Of stuff out on the high school field in Drum Corps summer performance that don't particularly fit the theme as well as it might, or could. Imitation toy rifles are no impediment to the enjoyment of Drum Corps shows ( havn't been for half a century anyway ) unless someone now is a bit jaded.

Edited by BRASSO

This was a compelling defense on why we should be worried that some School Administrator somewhere in this wide wide world might have a potential problem with imitation toy rifles in summer Drum Corps show performances. Speaking of " ad hominen" attacks your response was chock full of such to me. But thats cool... as I really can see now why we should all be concerned as you ( a few others might be ) that imitation toy rifles in Drum Corps are an issue of concern. Yet, to my knowledge, not a single school administrator anywhere finds it of any concern to them at all. Thats why angry people like you have people like me in stitches. Aparently, you have no idea how silly you appear to be to be concerned with what has not been of concern from the people that the anti toys people claim might be offended. Its funny. It is. These are toys. I laugh at the sheer nonsense of it. If this non issue is of serious concern to you, thats fine. I believe its much todo about nothing, as there has been no complaints in any school anywhere from anyone... and that why people like me chuckle at it all.

Evidence please. In this very thread someone mentioned policies they saw first hand disallowing "toy rifles" as you call them. Policies are set by administrators.

And for the record, I never said schools shouldn't use toy rifles. I only agreed with those on here who think it's OK if schools choose not to use them. The other side (your side) takes the view that school color guards should use them, instead of alternates. Your side has been attacking the (optional) use of alternate devices as PC.

Don't pretend we have been trying to ban toy rifles in all schools. It's a classic straw man argument.

• Like 3