I KNEW this was coming.

The Cadets are selling off their 2013 stuff. No biggie...if you have $789.00, you can buy a tower! ($650.00 for one actually used in shows---I would find this more valuable, but...)

They are also selling guard equipment: the Loop, the Hook, the Bolt. Here's the clincher: "Gone are the implements of war such as the sabre and rifle..."

"Implements of war?" Are you kidding me?

Beneath, they offer an ad selling horns: "Play what the Cadets play." Say somebody buys a tuba and uses it to whack somebody. How could the organization LIVE with itself? (We non-PC, NRA-worshiping, Ted Nugent obeyists always say, "Tubas don't kill people; people kill people.")

The guard are basically dancers now anyway (some darn good ones a lot of the time!). There's not really a big reason they should continue spinning military tools if it doesn't fit with the theme of the show.

• Like 2

Why do we care about this?

a. Who said we do?

b. Slow news day.

c. Trying our hand at humor.

Oh because, George Hopkins. OP and Some other of you guys are pathetic... "You KNEW" that this this was coming? Because you are late to the band wagon on this one... This topic has been exhausted with Hopkins in the center.

This absolutely has nothing to do with be being Politically Correct. Colorguard use different flags other than the American Flag so why can't they also use equipment other than swords or sabers?

Oh but wait we're upset because Hoppy called them "implements of war"! How can you be angered by this? When that is exactly what they are? For better or worse or indifference that is what rifles and sabers are.

The irony is that we are so accustomed to changing a corps uniform, props, music, drill, flags and literally everything about a corps show so that none of it resembles anything militaristic... But then we point out... Oh why is the Colorguard spinning a rifle in a show about science or circles? And then it's painfully obvious that the equipment Colorguard spin should also be changed regardless of the reason.

And that some of you are offended because a CEO that runs a non-profit that teaches Youth Education may just want to remove that imagery from his organization. What exactly are you trying to prove? What exactly are you defending by vocalizing this? Do fake rifles and sabers really need to be defended? People flipping out about this are being dogmatic and are really the only one's who lack common sense...

Madison did a graphic show about the Military and not even George would fault them for using a visual representation of implements of war in their show... It MADE sense! But in many other show contexts we become immune to simply accept it even though designers go to much length to change literally everything else to fit the concept.

Whew... feel better now?

Firstly, I agree that this is not about political correctness. "Political correctness" will be when the corps who do use symbolic "implements of war" face rules, laws or other impediments banning the use of such symbolism.

Secondly, no problem with whatever path the Cadets choose. After all, they were the corps doing peace-sign drill* at the Veterans of Foreign Wars national championship in 1970, of all places. They did a show theme of "No More War" back around then, too - decades before shows became thematic by default. But I doubt that they are bent on removing all military imagery from the organization. I mean, the "corps" is called the "Cadets", and they wear West Point uniforms.

(* - Speaking of political correctness, the corps faced the real possibility of offending the VFW to the point of a penalty with that peace sign, until a swift thinking staffer told VFW officials that the drill form was really just the Mercedes-Benz logo. Guess it depends on how you look at it - something readers of this thread should learn from.)

• Like 1

Am I the only one who saw this and got scared that OP saying that Pacific Crest (aka "PC") was pulling a Glassmen/Music City? In that light I'm thrilled that it's this useless topic instead.

• Like 8

I read in the spring that Cadets were not going to spin rifles & sabers and were instead spinning alternative implements, and I COMPLETELY forgot about it & failed to notice until I saw a pic on Facebook of a close-up on a guard member w/the alternative thing. Then I saw the Semifinals stream and Finals VOD and forgot again until this thread.

That's how I felt about it. I had a friend marching there, and completely forgot that they had changed equipment, and then I forgot again until this thread came up. It's the off-season, people need to find things to complain about.

• Like 2

Whatever your views are on the larger issues, and what is overly-PC or not, this is not a bad marketing move. So many schools have zero tolerance policies on toy guns on campus...(snip)

Good point.

At my last school, my guard girls were not allowed to take their rifles or sabers on the school bus home...but the ROTC students WERE allowed to take their practice rifles home on the same buses...the ones that actually look like an M-1...

Actually, drum corps competition was organized by the AL and VFW as a peacetime activity.

Understood, but was just saying that the actual genesis of the marching band activity was a part of war.

Blame this on little Geoffery

• Like 2