dca weekend thoughts

Which put it at 11. Someone later posted Star United was the 12th.

I could be wrong on this... but I think the reason there wasn't an "11th-place exhibition" last season was because the Marine corps drum corps filled that slot... actually, two slots, since the Marines' show, from the time they enter to the time they exit the stadium, is roughly the equivalent of two DCA corps' shows in terms of time.

I could be wrong on this... but I think the reason there wasn't an "11th-place exhibition" last season was because the Marine corps drum corps filled that slot... actually, two slots, since the Marines' show, from the time they enter to the time they exit the stadium, is roughly the equivalent of two DCA corps' shows in terms of time.

That makes sense too, lol

At least no ones complaining about my review so far lol

Great review Jeff!! And Cam's head hasn't swelled yet, lol

Edited by BushDad1213
  • Like 1

At least no ones complaining about my review so far lol

I'm preparing my brief...

• Like 2

Good!!

No, seriously - I'm grateful for your review - I got sick - actually I was sick for almost a week before I got there - and saw essentially nothing and nobody. Your review is the closest thing I have to the 2013 DCA season. Sigh. Sucks to be old.

That's what Wally said when he realized the kids of people he taught were out there marching.....and he taught them in the 80's!

On to A Class

White Sabers....Again, the build into the hit of New World was so well done, but Saturday the corps seemed a touch nervous. I loved the ethnic groove stuff, and they had one of the most tasteful percussion breaks in DCA in the last several years. I've raved about the ballad all year long, and will continue to....Largo and Bjork on paper have no place on earth to be mashed up, yet it so worked beautifully, and the guards baby blue swing flags added so much. Did I mention the guard? Staged so well, it really made the corps look bigger. A little surprised they didn't win drums Saturday...and both days the tightness in the effect sheets between WS and Govies said a lot for both corps.

Sunday....it was their time, and they took it and ran with it. it would have been closer had the Govies not won 3 of the 4 effect sheets and communication, but truly WS had their best show when they needed it. An absolute joy to see this show come together over the course of the season, and I could not be happier for them.

Govies.......the masters of A Class, and they hung tough. I felt Saturday was the better run, and who better to tell a Hollywood story than these rock stars....with DCA's last remaining showman John Mayer even signing autographs during his now legendary introduction. You had Oscars, umbrellas, diamonds and more. Their vastly larger percussion section did a really good job balancing with the brass, and played some pretty tasty beats. Classic Govies design and entertainment.

Sunday....IMO, not as good of a run, but still ###### good and it wins A Class any other year. As always Govies know the game and remain one of the most successful corps in that class for a reason

Sun Devils....On first viewing, I was amazed .the corps scored as low as it did. The percussion was solid, the brass had a great sound, and the show was very intriguing. The Candelabra Rhumba came across really well, with good interp musically, and the Piazzolla piece was well done. Clifton Williams isn't easy for a large corps, and dance #3 worked well. I really had them closer to the other two.

Sunday...on second viewing, I noticed that visually, the corps wasn't integrated a lot. You had the percussion staged, the brass staged, and the guard staged, and for a lot of the show, they stayed their own entities. Looking at the recaps, that explains the difference in score in many ways, but they had an even better musical run.

Windsor Regiment gave us Blossom for the last finalist spot, opening with Flower Duet and into Candide. The fence props with the flower basket were a nice touch. I had a few concerns with staging, especially one spot for percussion as they were in a straight line off on side 2, and you could tell it was tough for them to lock in that, then it curved off to come in front of the corps. The ballad of the rose worked well and of course App Spring closed the show. At times it seemed as if the corps was designed to be larger and the members struggled in a few spots, which I also chalked up to the humidity.

Sunday...A better run with the pressure off, but I couldn't shake the feeling I had seen this show before somewhere. Still, deserving of the last finalist spot, and they can claim being a finalist every year of existence

The Marine Drum and Bugle Corps opened last year's show with an exhibition.

Opened or closed? Thought we got there before Finals started but left right after Buccs but didn't see USMC.

But then again... I am 56... :doh::tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari