Interservice Academy Competition

All,

The interservice academy drum corps competition has been canceled this year.

The corps directors from Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard have mutually agreed that the competition was detrimental to the academic and physical progress of the cadets and midshipmen. Putting a competitive show on the field in six short weeks required nearly a 7-day a week rehearsal schedule, which did not leave the cadets and midshipmen much time for personal workouts and studying. So we found that grades suffered, and in the highly competitive environment of the service academies, this ultimately jeopardized their chances for graduation. All three corps directors agreed it just wasn't worth it.

We certainly appreciate all of the support the drum corps community and fans have provided the competition over the years, and all three corps are still VERY much active in supporting their respective academies.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Like 4

Having had the honor to serve as an adjudicator for this competition, I can attest to the sheer excitement generated by these very special drum corps.

That said, this is a wise decision. Anyone who has real corps experience understands the time and energy required, and to compress your effort into a seven-week marathon for one contest is to mis-align priorities. The service academy corps have daily ceremonial musical duties as well, and represent their schools at athletic and civic events.

Our Washington lawmakers have also severely reduced travel budgets through sequestration. Flying 200 Middies to Colorado for a contest is not in the stars right now.

I look forward to seeing all these marvelous and unique units in the future, in any context.

"Semper Paratus", "Anchors Aweigh" and "Off We Go..."

• Like 4

Having had the honor to serve as an adjudicator for this competition, I can attest to the sheer excitement generated by these very special drum corps.

That said, this is a wise decision. Anyone who has real corps experience understands the time and energy required, and to compress your effort into a seven-week marathon for one contest is to mis-align priorities. The service academy corps have daily ceremonial musical duties as well, and represent their schools at athletic and civic events.

Our Washington lawmakers have also severely reduced travel budgets through sequestration. Flying 200 Middies to Colorado for a contest is not in the stars right now.

I look forward to seeing all these marvelous and unique units in the future, in any context.

"Semper Paratus", "Anchors Aweigh" and "Off We Go..."

Well-said, Frank. Totally agree.

I had the privilege of being the announcer for this show, when it's been held in Annapolis, in recent years... and like Frank said, those corps are terrific.

• Like 2

Can't reschedule for another time later in the year that makes more sense maybe?

Can't reschedule for another time later in the year that makes more sense maybe?

They normally do it when the football schedules align, so there's not extra travel involved. When Air Force plays at Navy, the USCGA makes the trip down that weekend as well so all three are together. When Navy plays at Air Force, only those two compete.

Mike

How many years have they been completing and whats the out come been,who won the most titles between them .I remmber Flight of Sound doing the Macys Thankgiving Parade back in the 60s the same year with Sunrisers n Minasink Warriors ,All three corps where performing music from Man of La Mancha