Boston Crusaders

Is there really an offensive interpretation to the word “Crusaders” in modern times in the Western World?

Shortly after 9/11, I think there was some pushback against Pres. Bush's use of the word "crusade" used to explain the "War on Terror". I would agree with you that there's not sufficient reason for Boston's drum corps to change its name. (The name "Redskins", on the other hand, seems to me as offensive as some of those used in the Chevy Chase/Richard Pryor Saturday Night Live sketch to which I linked. If the name were "Washington Darkies", would anyone be defending it?)

Shortly after 9/11, I think there was some pushback against Pres. Bush's use of the word "crusade" used to explain the "War on Terror". I would agree with you that there's not sufficient reason for Boston's drum corps to change its name. (The name "Redskins", on the other hand, seems to me as offensive as some of those used in the Chevy Chase/Richard Pryor Saturday Night Live sketch to which I linked. If the name were "Washington Darkies", would anyone be defending it?)

In this regard I can agree with you as well. I do recall something vaguely about the backlash. I'm sure the word "crusade" still strikes a nerve in the Middle East, where the Crusades are seen and presented as early medieval precursors of European imperialism...that is aggressive, expansionist and predatory. I will reiterate that I just don't think that in this day and age it should warrant BAC from changing their name...Whereas in the case of the "Redskins" I might tend to argue a bit different. I'm sure between us...we could come up with a dozen or more drum corps names that MAY possibly offend one person or another for whatever reason...both past and present.

Shortly after 9/11, I think there was some pushback against Pres. Bush's use of the word "crusade" used to explain the "War on Terror". I would agree with you that there's not sufficient reason for Boston's drum corps to change its name...

Then how about Boston War on Terror?

With all the "Boston Strong" shirts at New England shows last summer including some sold by Crusaders Senior, and BAC's choice of a show called "Rise" making a special connection with Boston area fans because of the Marathon bombings (yes I know it was designed prior to the bombings but many made a connection), I don't think they'd mind that name change.

Speaking as an alum of BAC, neither I nor any other alums I know of consider the grey jackets last summer a mistake. They were integral in the theme of the show, and also had an historic connection to the corps. For the record, not only did the corps wear their red uniforms beneath the greys, (inc the early season shows where they hadn't yet been revealed), but they also wore red for all of their local parades here in New England. The alums who have continued their support of the corps were well aware of this.

As far as the name goes, the corps has spent over 50 years of blood, sweat, and tears building on that brand. They would be hard pressed to mess with it.

Only 7 1/2 months to go of off-season DCP......

• Like 3

Sculls and cross bones was that not the bush's club.

Speaking as an alum of BAC, neither I nor any other alums I know of consider the grey jackets last summer a mistake. They were integral in the theme of the show, and also had an historic connection to the corps. For the record, not only did the corps wear their red uniforms beneath the greys, (inc the early season shows where they hadn't yet been revealed), but they also wore red for all of their local parades here in New England. The alums who have continued their support of the corps were well aware of this.

As far as the name goes, the corps has spent over 50 years of blood, sweat, and tears building on that brand. They would be hard pressed to mess with it.

Only 7 1/2 months to go of off-season DCP......

Hi Craig,

What took you so long?? I thought you might have come to the table before my friend Ghost..

My comment on the alumni feelings come from my friends who are former members of the Crusaders from the 60's & 70's.

It's no secret they were not happy. I'm sure you have seen the Emails. Yes the red jackets were not abandoned, thankfully.

With so many corps searching for an identity today there was no need to mess with the iconic look of the Boston Crusaders that is so well recognized throughout drum corps for the sake of the "show".

We are in agreement on the name.

Go Redskins!!!

It is being reported today that Washington Redskins NFL owner Daniel Snyder is succumbing to public pressure to do something about his team's name. Snyder is quoted as saying that " we at the Washington Redskins are not insensitive to those people in some quarters that are frustrated with our name and the general distain that it has among the populace with each passing day and that find it offensive. Our Board of Directors and Trustees have responded to this general populace frustration and have come to an agreement to change the name and henceforth, and effective immediately, we are dropping the distainful " Washington " in our name and will be officially known from now on as simply " The Redskins ". "

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1