Scores..."where everything is made up and the points don't mat

I defy you to turn a zebra's stripes horizontal.

By the time you're done, it won't a zebra anymore because it will be hamburger.

Distract him with a nice little filly, and a couple of gallons of paint could test the theory.

See? Just like human nature...

:tounge2:

Funny thing about OMEA contests - when the _kid comes home from contests he knows who won drums, colorguard, overall score, and design scores. The sheets are passed out to the directors at the end and the kids pass them around the buses. They don't announce these scores, apparently as to not upset the parents in the stands, because everyone knows the kids get the scores.

I can see the lowest-placing band kids on the bus when they get their scores. Are they emotionally less-impacted by reading their scores on the bus than by hearing them announced after the show?

Scores. Kids want scores. Even the lower-placing bands because they want to know where they rank, even if they suck. It's human nature.

How many sports teams have had "something to prove" after a particularly bad year or major event? When did we decide that music kids can't take it?

I know of one OMEA official who told me personally that he actively lobbies OMEA to do away with all contests (they now call them "adjudicated event" by name) and make them all "adjudicated exhibition events".

Seriously? Is it in our water?

Umm...turn...the...zebra...and...the...stripes...turn...too?

I don't know, maybe I'm over-thinking it.

so is the OP

Funny thing about OMEA contests - when the _kid comes home from contests he knows who won drums, colorguard, overall score, and design scores. The sheets are passed out to the directors at the end and the kids pass them around the buses. They don't announce these scores, apparently as to not upset the parents in the stands, because everyone knows the kids get the scores.

I can see the lowest-placing band kids on the bus when they get their scores. Are they emotionally less-impacted by reading their scores on the bus than by hearing them announced after the show?

Scores. Kids want scores. Even the lower-placing bands because they want to know where they rank, even if they suck. It's human nature.

How many sports teams have had "something to prove" after a particularly bad year or major event? When did we decide that music kids can't take it?

I know of one OMEA official who told me personally that he actively lobbies OMEA to do away with all contests (they now call them "adjudicated event" by name) and make them all "adjudicated exhibition events".

at a band show I judged this past weekend,a lower placing band was thrilled to see where their number got to...because of the chaos that was the beginning of their season.

so yes, scores matter.

Memphis Raines (Nicolas Cage) - "Without disappointment you cannot appreciate victory."

Detective Castelbeck (Delroy Lindo) – “Did Eleanor tell you that?”

Memphis Raines - "Now that's hitting below the belt."

Staff members always tell the corps at the beginning of the season to not pay attention or even look at the scores from the performance.

Ironically, depending upon how the show design and caption scores go, those same staff members saying this are either promoted, demoted or fired based upon their caption " scores ".

• Like 1

I suspect the excellence we see is due largely to the competition. That doesn't mean the members should obsess over the subcaption scores show-to-show, but clearly some awareness and appreciation for the current competitive position is critical for that motivation to work. Finding the right balance is difficult.