Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

I like this book. I agree, it is refreshing to hear some straight-ahead jazz. I am puzzled by the comments about the horn charts being too simple or easy. This is some challenging stuff. I think some folks are suffering from the "Crown syndrome," that is, notes for the sake of notes, or perhaps the "Blue Devil delusion", weird chords for the sake of weird chords. Scouts are taking a different, more musical path here.

I do wish they played a more complete and less drum-corped version of Fanfare for the New. (The original Kenton chart hardly needs adaptation to suit drum corps.) But it is still more kickin' than the smooth-jazz version that BD did in the past (though Guardsmen still has the definitive version). The trombone choir was real tasty, and made me realize that drum corps has needlessly deprived itself of this wonderful unique color all these years.

I can't wait to see the full show. Go Scouts!

I think it's a case of everyone being a critic. Everyone is an expert. Everyone can play this stuff easily mentality. Just crazy nonsense as usual.

• Like 1

I just heard Madison's show clips.

Those who said the music was easy. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? There's some technical playing in there, especially Open Wide and Bulgarian Bulge Only Crown has harder stuff that I've heard. BD stuff doesn't sound quite as difficult to me.

The trombone ensemble is tasteful, BUT could have been done on baritones or TROMBONIUMS and been fine that way too. Not much of a difference to this low brass player. Soloists are almost there.

This show is going to be incredible.

The uniforms are growing on me.

The flags are tasteful.

If you can find the links do it. This show is jazzier than BD this year. Certainly going to be one of my top shows for the season. I'm on board for this season.

• Like 2

Wow. I'm a huge fan of Kenton. I'm also a Kenton purist. What Robert W.,. Smith wrote is criminal. And to think they actually paid him for that crap. :)

Well they could have paid you I guess huh?

Well they could have paid you I guess huh?

No, they could have used the original score that is still available. What is so horrible about playing it verbatim?? Why does it always have to be turned into some bizarre mutant piece of garbage for drum corps to play? So much for "education." The United States Air Force Academy and the Argonne Rebels played it verbatim. Robert W. Smith is a joke for attempting to pass that crap off as authentic. It is a shame....the majority of Madison's tens of fans will have no clue who Kenton is, have no clue what he played and no clue how badly Smith did. Can't blame the members really...none of them ever saw Kenton live or listened to anything by him except whatever the staff played for them. Only the Kenton ignorant will applaud....or those who might think that somehow Robert W. Smith knows more about Kenton than Stan himself and Hugo Montenegro. I feel sorry for those trombone players too...if someone actually told them they had the style down, the same way Bob Fitzpatrick, Milt Bernhart and Carl Fontana did on "Concerto to End All Concertos," they were lied to.

Edited by FrankBeMe

No, they could have used the original score that is still available. What is so horrible about playing it verbatim?? Why does it always have to be turned into some bizarre mutant piece of garbage for drum corps to play? So much for "education." The United States Air Force Academy and the Argonne Rebels played it verbatim. Robert W. Smith is a joke for attempting to pass that crap off as authentic. It is a shame....the majority of Madison's tens of fans will have no clue who Kenton is, have no clue what he played and no clue how badly Smith did. Can't blame the members really...none of them ever saw Kenton live or listened to anything by him except whatever the staff played for them. Only the Kenton ignorant will applaud....or those who might think that somehow Robert W. Smith knows more about Kenton than Stan himself and Hugo Montenegro. I feel sorry for those trombone players too...if someone actually told them they had the style down, the same way Bob Fitzpatrick, Milt Bernhart and Carl Fontana did on "Concerto to End All Concertos," they were lied to.

relax. have a glass of prune juice M'kay?

You will have time to watch videos of yourself later Uncle Rico.

• Like 3

There are people who will say the same things about Madison year in year out regardless of what the actual facts are. "Their book is easy" is one that I read a lot. its simply not true. This year with all the Don Ellis and Stand Kenton however, that cannot be said in any case. Fanfare for the New is a truncated version of the one us oldsters are used to, as played by Argonne and Guardsmen, but then they get into Bulgarian Bulge, Nine Two, Open Wide...this is NOT easy music.

I will add something about the concept of easy music. Much of the real hard stuff over the years in DCI has been played (purposely) when the horns are standing still. Its really as though we have gone back to the days of Stop time Concerts. This is not to say some difficult stuff hasnt been played on the move.

One of my major beefs with drum corps today is that the music is too difficult. Sure, everyone needs a "hey look at what we can play" moment in their show, but if the whole show is a long one of these moments, you end up with lots of fans who long for the day of melody & volume. I love what Madison is doing this year. Jazz from beginning to end!

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 2

Aside from the early 70's, when was the last time any corps played music verbatim? It's the modern activity. It's changed. I get you don't like it, but to trash Smith and others because it doesn't meet with your approval just shows that you really need to crawl back into your trailer and take a big brown poop in your depends....and the Scouts' tens of fans? I'm sure your corps has about that many these days. Lol

Edited by Nine White Russians
  • Like 1

Fanfare for the New sounds a little "square" compared to BD '87.

I thought the same thing. The Drum chart doesnt seem to fit the horn book real well either. I love the 1979 Guardsmen version of "Fanfare". I'm sure Madison will be smoking this tune real soon.

• Like 1

That is one sizzlin' hot take, my friend. Cool down and have some BACon!

UltimateGIF-JP.gif

• Like 2