Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

And that is one of the problems with this activity. Arrangers who are more interested in taking liberties with classic songs to show what a genius they are.

Then save yourself the torture and stop following it my friend. If it's such a problem, why are we finding just a couple people taking the liberty to complain about it? These marching shows are about creativity. If I wanted to hear a straight rendition of a song, I'd go ahead and listen to a symphony orchestra play it. Not a drum corps/marching show

• Like 1

I just wanted to quickly say good luck to the Madison Scouts this season. I also love your new uniforms! :smile:

• Like 2

So, let me get this straight: you went to a drum corps show expecting a five-hour authentic performance of a Philip Glass opera... and you were shocked when a drum and bugle corps gave you a 12 minute heavily adapted version of it?

you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka.jpg

(Psst. He was joking.)

• Like 1

Wow. I'm a huge fan of Kenton. I'm also a Kenton purist. What Robert W.,. Smith wrote is criminal. And to think they actually paid him for that crap. :)

If you're a "huge" Kenton fan, I'm curious as to what bothers you.

I have all the scores to the original source material and have heard the arrangements for months and I struggle with your opinion. He took liberties with the Ellis stuff for sure, and in a good way.

Please share more info on the first half the show, which is the Kenton part that bothers you so greatly.

No, they could have used the original score that is still available. What is so horrible about playing it verbatim?? Why does it always have to be turned into some bizarre mutant piece of garbage for drum corps to play? So much for "education." The United States Air Force Academy and the Argonne Rebels played it verbatim. Robert W. Smith is a joke for attempting to pass that crap off as authentic. It is a shame....the majority of Madison's tens of fans will have no clue who Kenton is, have no clue what he played and no clue how badly Smith did. Can't blame the members really...none of them ever saw Kenton live or listened to anything by him except whatever the staff played for them. Only the Kenton ignorant will applaud....or those who might think that somehow Robert W. Smith knows more about Kenton than Stan himself and Hugo Montenegro. I feel sorry for those trombone players too...if someone actually told them they had the style down, the same way Bob Fitzpatrick, Milt Bernhart and Carl Fontana did on "Concerto to End All Concertos," they were lied to.

OK Cranky pants... We get it - you don't like the arranging. I'm sure Mr. Smith is hard at work rewriting everything to suit you. It's really too bad for the rest of us "Tens of Fans" though. We really seem to like it - just the way it is. :doh:

Edited by SFZFAN

" it doesn't meet with your approval just shows that you really need to crawl back into your trailer and take a big brown poop in your depends."

TORPEDOES AWAY!!!

• Like 1

I find it strange that there's always such craziness when it comes to Madison each year.... Like or don't like, they are always trying to please fans- which is cool. Gotta say though, all those years of "placement doesn't matter" seems to be list on some alum and big diehard fans! If you love the Scouts, what does it matter if someone doesn't care for their show? They'll always be well received and continue to push themselves and the activity. So far the Kenton/Ellis show for me seems a bit dry.... And I love both composers. But, I really want to see it and Madison without making too rash of judgement!

Do some of us not realize that all shows are what are referred to as arrangements, of course with some original music?

FrankBeMe, are you new to the activity? People haven't stayed true to source music in the way you're requesting in decades. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just reality.

As for your criticism of the way the trombone features are, they're 16-22 kids, some playing for the love, some music majors, some for the activity.

Are you that dilussional to think they'll play perfectly, in June, the perfect style?

I'd love to know your marching and jazz background since you seem to be the ####### authority.

Furthermore, get your ears checked if you think Smith botched the Kenton, study the true scores, I can lend them to you.

As for the Ellis, there are liberties there, but if you actually knew a thing about Kenton or Ellis, you'd know they would have done the same.

For more advanced listening, check out the 2 versions of City of Glass-1947 and 1951, and tell me things can't be rearranged. Or the vocal version of Laura, the Niehaus sax version, and the Graettinger all done by Kenton.

It's ####### jazz, source material is irrelevant by nature! And the funny thing is, it's being used so heavily IN the Scouts show.

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 2

Those who said the music was easy. ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? There's some technical playing in there, especially Open Wide and Bulgarian Bulge Only Crown has harder stuff that I've heard. BD stuff doesn't sound quite as difficult to me.

Dude, are you serious? I just listened to the whole Scouts show via youtube and that is a pretty easy horn book! Difficulty wise it can't be spoken about in the same breath as Crown or BD. You need to go listen a few more times.

Oh, I should add that is not to say it isn't entertaining or that there aren't licks here and there that are difficult, just there overall book it isn't remotely close.

Edited by ApathyJones
  • Like 1

No, they could have used the original score that is still available. What is so horrible about playing it verbatim?? Why does it always have to be turned into some bizarre mutant piece of garbage for drum corps to play? So much for "education." The United States Air Force Academy and the Argonne Rebels played it verbatim. Robert W. Smith is a joke for attempting to pass that crap off as authentic. It is a shame....the majority of Madison's tens of fans will have no clue who Kenton is, have no clue what he played and no clue how badly Smith did. Can't blame the members really...none of them ever saw Kenton live or listened to anything by him except whatever the staff played for them. Only the Kenton ignorant will applaud....or those who might think that somehow Robert W. Smith knows more about Kenton than Stan himself and Hugo Montenegro. I feel sorry for those trombone players too...if someone actually told them they had the style down, the same way Bob Fitzpatrick, Milt Bernhart and Carl Fontana did on "Concerto to End All Concertos," they were lied to.

I'm worried for The Children, mostly. Growing up in a world of unrealized Fitzpatrick, Bernhart and Fontana stylings. So sad...