Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Madison been pretty quiet, super secretive Scouts?

Another note on Madison, if you were ###### about the trombone rule, watch the videos put on youtube. I don't think people will feel they are used in a way that ruins anything. I thought the trombone choir in Concerto to end All Concertos was great, and I hope more corps have the courage to use new ideas.

video of opener on Facebook. tempo needs a big kick in the ###!

• Like 1

I couldn't care less about trombones, concert french horns and the like. It's all brass to me. I will be way more upset when I see an oboe line on the drum corps field.

video of opener on Facebook. tempo needs a big kick in the ###!

Fanfare for the New sounds a little "square" compared to BD '87. Probably just the temp though.

I know that sounds harsh, so let me just say that I'm rooting for them this year to make some noise!

Edited by jjeffeory

I like the slower tempo, more like the original

When I heard the show announcement, I worried there was just too much.

After watching a few of the vids on youtube, so far I think I was right. Too many ideas and some pretty abrupt transitions. Things will change, but I wish they would've chosen fewer pieces to focus on. I love the source material, and the arrangements are great.

I actually like the layering they do. I'm sure this isn't the last version we'll hear though

I like this book. I agree, it is refreshing to hear some straight-ahead jazz. I am puzzled by the comments about the horn charts being too simple or easy. This is some challenging stuff. I think some folks are suffering from the "Crown syndrome," that is, notes for the sake of notes, or perhaps the "Blue Devil delusion", weird chords for the sake of weird chords. Scouts are taking a different, more musical path here.

I do wish they played a more complete and less drum-corped version of Fanfare for the New. (The original Kenton chart hardly needs adaptation to suit drum corps.) But it is still more kickin' than the smooth-jazz version that BD did in the past (though Guardsmen still has the definitive version). The trombone choir was real tasty, and made me realize that drum corps has needlessly deprived itself of this wonderful unique color all these years.

I can't wait to see the full show. Go Scouts!

• Like 1