Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

in know Im gonna hear it now for this...imagine a kid IF they indulge in the silliness of DCP and the often ridiculous rants is on their way to another show , nothing to do on the bus, picks up their phone and takes a look..WOW, all our brothers and others do is talk about other years and if they talk about this year it is pretty much with no support. Now lets suffer through the bus and another hot 12 hour rehearsal . HMMMMMMMMMM. I get how others do think that they have all the answers to the worlds issues and how to fix everything in drum corps, those who marched and those who never did BUT in Scouts own thread maybe they could use a little support , especially from their own, I dont want to hear also that " we aren't slamming the kids just the designers " thats alot of bull when I heard it on BD threads of the past and it's bull now. Kids invest with heart and soul into their staff, director and show. Maybe at times it is a stinker, maybe its great, maybe it's time Scouts stopped trying to be something they aren't or maybe it's time Scouts stopped trying to be what they were and go 100% into the future and not 1/2 in the past and 1/2 in the present, that's their choice not ours.Either way they are invested and do and should take it personally.

I'm not saying anyone here is wrong or doesn't have a point, nor that everything has to be sweet tarts and roses BUT think about if youre helping or hurting. Sometimes one has to open their mouth to see change , other times silence works even more.I am also not saying be all rah - rah and not see the issues they may have like a few others I see that their own can't see past their own noses and dont want to hear a bad thing...some things we have control over some not so much I guess maybe there's a happy medium to total blindness to a product and over the top negativity .ok sorry for rant and don't want to insult anyone, just thought maybe another perspective might HELP..Maybe not or Maybe I also didn't have the right to post this or shouldn't have.

I do write this with respect to the past Scouts BUT the present also

Good Luck Scouts

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 4

And I repeat....These negtive comments about the Scouts need to stop. This is ridiculous. You are all so fickle. If the Scouts were getting better scores, you would all be singing their praises. These negative remarks do nothing but discourage fans and members. The corps has a lot of talent this year. Maybe it is not the best written design, but they are still a great corps. You all sit here and insult them in the comfort of your own homes. Why don't you get out in 100 degree weather and practice for 15 hours a day. Maybe then you wouldn't be so critical.

• Like 1

in know Im gonna hear it now for this...imagine a kid IF they indulge in the silliness of DCP and the often ridiculous rants is on their way to another show , nothing to do on the bus, picks up their phone and takes a look..WOW, all our brothers and others do is talk about other years and if they talk about this year it is pretty much with no support. Now lets suffer through the bus and another hot 12 hour rehearsal . HMMMMMMMMMM. I get how others do think that they have all the answers to the worlds issues and how to fix everything in drum corps, those who marched and those who never did BUT in Scouts own thread maybe they could use a little support , especially from their own, I dont want to hear also that " we aren't slamming the kids just the designers " thats alot of bull when I heard it on BD threads of the past and it's bull now. Kids invest with heart and soul into their staff, director and show. Maybe at times it is a stinker, maybe its great, maybe it's time Scouts stopped trying to be something they aren't or maybe it's time Scouts stopped trying to be what they were and go 100% into the future and not 1/2 in the past and 1/2 in the present, that's their choice not ours.Either way they are invested and do and should take it personally.

I'm not saying anyone here is wrong or doesn't have a point, nor that everything has to be sweet tarts and roses BUT think about if youre helping or hurting. Sometimes one has to open their mouth to see change , other times silence works even more.I am also not saying be all rah - rah and not see the issues they may have like a few others I see that their own can't see past their own noses and dont want to hear a bad thing...some things we have control over some not so much I guess maybe there's a happy medium to total blindness to a product and over the top negativity .ok sorry for rant and don't want to insult anyone, just thought maybe another perspective might HELP..Maybe not or Maybe I also didn't have the right to post this or shouldn't have.

I do write this with respect to the past Scouts BUT the present also

Good Luck Scouts

If this were happening in a Scouts forum on a Scouts website, I would agree with you entirely. The reason I firmly disagree is that this is really the only place where fans can get together to discuss, seeing as this is a discussion forum and all. We're using the forum for its intended purpose.

There will always be positive and negative, so let's not get into the habit of moderating people speaking their mind. If it weren't for a place like DCP, how would anyone else know that they felt the same way about this and other situations? Maybe they would think, "hey, I'm probably the only one, so I won't speak up." We've seen how DCP has influenced the activity at large in some instances. In reality, directors and staff should be GLAD a place like this exists, because it's where they get unfiltered feedback. It lets them somewhat gauge the sentiments of the more passionate followers of the activity. If they choose to see it as a negative, that's their loss. But at least it offers a critique on a corps performance as an organization and the effectiveness of their staff.

People shouldn't filter their thoughts because someone might be offended. If a membership is afraid of what they might read, then it's best that they stay away. I think most corps insist that their members do not have a DCP presence as it is. That's good. But this is hardly different than any sports board you read or any forum that follows an activity. Grow some thicker skin or don't get on. It's a simple solution, really.

People should be free to discuss relevant topics here. If that goes away, it becomes nothing but a back-slapping, pretentious cheerleading exercise. That too would get old VERY quickly.

• Like 1

In 1996, Bluecoats were competing for a spot in Finals. Transition to now and the Scouts haven't beaten the Bluecoats in how long? lol Getting beat by Bluecoats? That would have been a punch line to a joke back when I marched. Never thought I'd see the day.

Huh?

You talk about the Bluecoats and how it would have been a "punch line to a joke when I marched and stated that in 1996 that the Bluecoats were fighting for a spot in finals. L

1996 Bluecoats placements 7th, Scouts 6th. Which means the Bluecoats were ahead of 5 corps on finals night. How is that "fighting for a spot."

That makes my head hurt.

• Like 2

Huh?

You talk about the Bluecoats and how it would have been a "punch line to a joke when I marched and stated that in 1996 that the Bluecoats were fighting for a spot in finals. L

1996 Bluecoats placements 7th, Scouts 6th. Which means the Bluecoats were ahead of 5 corps on finals night. How is that "fighting for a spot."

That makes my head hurt.

Sorry, I got the wrong year. I meant 1997 when they finished 11th. Edited by BigBadMadMan

If this were happening in a Scouts forum on a Scouts website, I would agree with you entirely. The reason I firmly disagree is that this is really the only place where fans can get together to discuss, seeing as this is a discussion forum and all. We're using the forum for its intended purpose.

There will always be positive and negative, so let's not get into the habit of moderating people speaking their mind. If it weren't for a place like DCP, how would anyone else know that they felt the same way about this and other situations? Maybe they would think, "hey, I'm probably the only one, so I won't speak up." We've seen how DCP has influenced the activity at large in some instances. In reality, directors and staff should be GLAD a place like this exists, because it's where they get unfiltered feedback. It lets them somewhat gauge the sentiments of the more passionate followers of the activity. If they choose to see it as a negative, that's their loss. But at least it offers a critique on a corps performance as an organization and the effectiveness of their staff.

People shouldn't filter their thoughts because someone might be offended. If a membership is afraid of what they might read, then it's best that they stay away. I think most corps insist that their members do not have a DCP presence as it is. That's good. But this is hardly different than any sports board you read or any forum that follows an activity. Grow some thicker skin or don't get on. It's a simple solution, really.

People should be free to discuss relevant topics here. If that goes away, it becomes nothing but a back-slapping, pretentious cheerleading exercise. That too would get old VERY quickly.

I totally agree that a place to speak up is fine , I would totally disagree as to any feedback or the importance or the effectiveness of almost any social media. As a staff member of a top 12 corps for many years I can personally tell you it doesn't BUT thats a whole other debate. I think my point was there's enough negativity out there and alot even justified. No it isn't always good for people to just hear positive and as I said there are a few corps out there who do think more of themselves and dont know how to listen to anyone BUT I would also hope that some alumni would at least support their own a little and in a thread about the current corps maybe stick to them because it is and should be all about them. There, are other historical threads for other things to relive the past.

At any rate, I didnt mean to offend anyone past or present, just wanted to point out some things I wouldnt want to hear as a member bustin butt to do my best, I wanted to show a little support.

Edited by GUARDLING

I totally agree that a place to speak up is fine , I would totally disagree as to any feedback or the importance or the effectiveness of almost any social media. As a staff member of a top 12 corps for many years I can personally tell you it doesn't BUT thats a whole other debate. I think my point was there's enough negativity out there and alot even justified. No it isn't always good for people to just hear positive and as I said there are a few corps out there who do think more of themselves and dont know how to listen to anyone BUT I would also hope that some alumni would at least support their own a little and in a thread about the current corps maybe stick to them because it is and should be all about them. There, are other historical threads for other things to relive the past.

At any rate, I didnt mean to offend anyone past or present just wanted maybe among some things I wouldnt want to hear as a member bustin butt to do my best, I wanted to show a little support.

I see at least 3 posts of support on this page alone, so I don't feel any negative feedback here is disproportionate. Maybe that's just me though.

I see at least 3 posts of support on this page alone, so I don't feel any negative feedback here is disproportionate. Maybe that's just me though.

ok..i said my peace....lol..and as an alumni you actually have more right to this opinion than I ,so all I will say is

Good Luck Madison Scouts...push hard....it is possible! I know this 1st hand

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

And I repeat....These negtive comments about the Scouts need to stop. This is ridiculous. You are all so fickle. If the Scouts were getting better scores, you would all be singing their praises. These negative remarks do nothing but discourage fans and members. The corps has a lot of talent this year. Maybe it is not the best written design, but they are still a great corps. You all sit here and insult them in the comfort of your own homes. Why don't you get out in 100 degree weather and practice for 15 hours a day. Maybe then you wouldn't be so critical.

And I repeat....These negtive comments about the Scouts need to stop.

For what it's worth--I concur.

In this fragile niche' activity many so care about with deep passion, we should all throw our full support to every single #### drum corps out there---no matter what class, where they may be from, their level of performance expertise, like their programs or not, etc. etc.

It's bad enough time itself has eaten our own--seeing a vast decrease in drum corps organizations over the years.

It's time to support through thick and thin because if we do not....the drum corps activity, as a whole, will be nothing but a faded memory................tainted and eaten by our very own.