Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

No way this happened. I'm callinng BS on this.

I rarely agree with you sir but you are absolutely correct I believe.

Leg sway and prancing does nothing visually for me. Crazy mind altering drill or the cross step triangle with the spin that phantom did in like 93 is what works and can define a show. All the ballet dancing the horn line and percussion do is forgettable and a distraction. Even "simple" rotating company front scouts circa 95-96 it works and when done to perfection is far more effective ge wise but crowd entertainment wise as well. Let's put military precision back in drum corps please.

• Like 3

Some of the comments here are funny. I mean, you're talking about the Madison Scouts - a corps which was one of the first to use dance. Anyone remember their Cats show from the early 80's? We're talking 31 years ago and back then it was a much bigger challenge than it is now.

DCI has come to the point where if your guard and corps don't do any sort of dance/movement, then you aren't going to get as good a score as another corps that does.

• Like 1

Some of the comments here are funny. I mean, you're talking about the Madison Scouts - a corps which was one of the first to use dance. Anyone remember their Cats show from the early 80's? We're talking 31 years ago and back then it was a much bigger challenge than it is now.

DCI has come to the point where if your guard and corps don't do any sort of dance/movement, then you aren't going to get as good a score as another corps that does.

How about some dancing in 1971...

Cindi_Garfield2.jpg

How about some dancing in 1971...

Cindi_Garfield2.jpg

From the photo it looks like levitation, not dancing.... :silly:

Did Garfield get comments for doing that in 1971? Were people concerned that corps shouldn't do that and, quoting Monty Python, they'd like to see some "precision drilling?"

• Like 1

From the photo it looks like levitation, not dancing.... :silly:

Did Garfield get comments for doing that in 1971? Were people concerned that corps shouldn't do that and, quoting Monty Python, they'd like to see some "precision drilling?"

Well, before the season we were one of the corps Drum Corps News identified as being part of the reason 1971 would be the Year Drum Corps Died (Scouts/Cavies as well) due to themed shows. Since our show was about the American Revolution (titled "America, the Brave"), it seemed to be OK with most. Not a lot of comments on that; having no internet probably helped there!

We did get comments both up and down about the libretto we passed out in the stands, 10 years prior to Regiment's "Spartacus" libretto.

so you're saying dance ruined drumcorps?

Clearly I'm not part of the Madison Alumni, but I'm surprised by folks overreacting to the show - "Argh, I don't like the show. Therefore, the Madison organization is being ruined." X does not equal Y. The beauty of drum corps is that the directors will look at this program after the season, see what works, see what doesn't work and re-tool accordingly. I have faith, both in the men of Madison and in the proven success of their administration, that they know what they're doing and if they don't end up where they want to be in the standings this year, they know how to get there eventually.

Mike

• Like 1

I have to agree with the poster about the "prancing" or whatever you want to call it. Maybe prancing isn't the correct word...more like interpretive dance, leg waggles, ankle turns...all that mess. It has bothered me to see Scouts going there over the past few years and I've even posted about before. I remember a show in the past couple of years where horn players were laying on the ground, rolling around "artistically" .....just so weird to see out of the Scouts. My thought of Scouts are precise, military-precision marching and military-like bearing. From the time I first saw the Scouts all the way through marching, the corps had this look...this masculine bearing, yes, even the gay guys. It was a look that scared the crap out of you. It was a look that moved you the F out the way when they were coming. It was a look that said..."I ain't messin' with these dudes because they'll probably beat the snot out of me"....It was also a look of owning that field when they stepped on it and owning that crowd.....Unfortunately I haven't had that same feeling the past few years with the Scouts.

• Like 3