Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

You joined a corps because of its "masculinity and power?" Are you compensating for something? :tounge2:

Best you could do, considering I marched after the '95 season? I'll give you a few minutes to regroup and try again.

• Like 1

Best you could do, considering I marched after the '95 season? I'll give you a few minutes to regroup and try again.

It was a joke, I'll give you a few minutes to calm down.

• Like 3

Keep on keeping on with that mantra, Bill. Meanwhile, the Scouts fall ever closer toward not making finals. But hey, at least they entertained (or maybe not), right?

Or, you know, they could honestly be an 8-10 range corps right now that's having a bad year. I think those Blue Stars you like to harp on had one of those a few years ago, and they seem to have bounced back just fine. Madison will too.

My burning desire to be a Scout was born from that masculinity and power that they exuded. This castrated version of the Scouts is less than appealing...and more in line with what we saw in 2006 and 2008.

Weird, that's exactly what drew me to audition for them when I saw them in 2010, 2011, and 2012... fancy that. Also, I hope you meant 2007 and 2009, because I really enjoyed Primal Forces (Second live drum corps show I ever saw) and La Noche de la Iguana.

• Like 1

To me, the 2008 corps looked and sounded like everything you'd hope a Madison Scouts corps would. And from what I remember on DCP at the time, the real issues with the 2006 show centered around classical instead of jazz and trying to clean Rosander's mad-scientist-insane drill, not a philosophical discussion on what the Scouts should be...

Mike

To me, the 2008 corps looked and sounded like everything you'd hope a Madison Scouts corps would. And from what I remember on DCP at the time, the real issues with the 2006 show centered around classical instead of jazz and trying to clean Rosander's mad-scientist-insane drill, not a philosophical discussion on what the Scouts should be...

Mike

The more symphonic sound from 06 was definitely a bit of a shock and didn't seem to fit very well. You could hear it starting to show itself as early as '03. The percussion arrangements in particular from 04 to 06 just didn't pack the necessary punch you'd expect. It wasn't really bad, just very lyrical at times, and it didn't always get the best moments meshing with the brass book. They always felt like they were backing away from huge moments instead of building up to them. On another note, I think their lead sop went down mid-season in 06 and it hurt them pretty bad considering quite a few moments were built around screaming sections. Someone might have to correct me there, but I'm pretty sure the early season soloist was not the same as the late season soloist.

And yeah, Rosander really brought out the crazy for that year.

The more symphonic sound from 06 was definitely a bit of a shock and didn't seem to fit very well. You could hear it starting to show itself as early as '03. The percussion arrangements in particular from 04 to 06 just didn't pack the necessary punch you'd expect. It wasn't really bad, just very lyrical at times, and it didn't always get the best moments meshing with the brass book. They always felt like they were backing away from huge moments instead of building up to them. On another note, I think their lead sop went down mid-season in 06 and it hurt them pretty bad considering quite a few moments were built around screaming sections. Someone might have to correct me there, but I'm pretty sure the early season soloist was not the same as the late season soloist.

And yeah, Rosander really brought out the crazy for that year.

As someone who marched that year, yes, he absolute brought the crazy...and purple fox that jumped over green moons.

Go to a show, talk to the guys, you'll find you're wrong in pretty much all cases. Of course, I won't speak for all the "MARCHING MEMBERS" as some have, but I encourage you to be in touch, you'll find they are learning a lot and enjoying their experience.

I have done just that & some of them are frustrated & disaapointed. They should be. I would be too.

Why don't you get out in 100 degree weather and practice for 15 hours a day. Maybe then you wouldn't be so critical.

I did just that for 7 years...even wore a Wool uniform for a few years. You might want to reconsider who the members of DCP are.

Edited by FlamMan

Keep on keeping on with that mantra, Bill. Meanwhile, the Scouts fall ever closer toward not making finals. But hey, at least they entertained (or maybe not), right?

I agree wholeheartedly with newseditor. Seeing all the body movement and "prancing" is not what should be expected from the Madison Scouts. My burning desire to be a Scout was born from that masculinity and power that they exuded. This castrated version of the Scouts is less than appealing...and more in line with what we saw in 2006 and 2008.

We all know why though...