Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

I have to agree with the poster about the "prancing" or whatever you want to call it. Maybe prancing isn't the correct word...more like interpretive dance, leg waggles, ankle turns...all that mess. It has bothered me to see Scouts going there over the past few years and I've even posted about before. I remember a show in the past couple of years where horn players were laying on the ground, rolling around "artistically" .....just so weird to see out of the Scouts. My thought of Scouts are precise, military-precision marching and military-like bearing. From the time I first saw the Scouts all the way through marching, the corps had this look...this masculine bearing, yes, even the gay guys. It was a look that scared the crap out of you. It was a look that moved you the F out the way when they were coming. It was a look that said..."I ain't messin' with these dudes because they'll probably beat the snot out of me"....It was also a look of owning that field when they stepped on it and owning that crowd.....Unfortunately I haven't had that same feeling the past few years with the Scouts.

Now with all respect to the Scouts , And I really mean that. I think some of that image may just be in your own head a little. Ive been around a long time, as a member and decades teaching many corps. NEVER do I remember anyone feeling that MAdison was some BAd AXX corps. Cool, yes, great sound and music< yes but all the things you mentioned ,,,no...as a matter of fact it was quite the opposite BITD with the little boy Scout scarves. Now this doesnt take anything away from a great corps BUT if you wanted fear or Bad Axx Boston as I remember were kinda the corps one stayed away from, the thugs so to speak which to some degree was also another myth looking from the outside..

Scouts need to do what they need to do to compete otherwise they will fast be on the outside looking in. This goes for any corps. To me and Im sure others MAdison has not lost the swagger , masculinity, or anything they had from the past, just a more modern version

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I have to agree with the poster about the "prancing" or whatever you want to call it. Maybe prancing isn't the correct word...more like interpretive dance, leg waggles, ankle turns...all that mess. It has bothered me to see Scouts going there over the past few years and I've even posted about before. I remember a show in the past couple of years where horn players were laying on the ground, rolling around "artistically" .....just so weird to see out of the Scouts. My thought of Scouts are precise, military-precision marching and military-like bearing. From the time I first saw the Scouts all the way through marching, the corps had this look...this masculine bearing, yes, even the gay guys. It was a look that scared the crap out of you. It was a look that moved you the F out the way when they were coming. It was a look that said..."I ain't messin' with these dudes because they'll probably beat the snot out of me"....It was also a look of owning that field when they stepped on it and owning that crowd.....Unfortunately I haven't had that same feeling the past few years with the Scouts.

I get why people don't like to see the Scouts doing the body movement ( or any corps for that matter) but with the way it has become such a big part of the visual programs, wouldn't they constantly be at a competitive disadvantage visually if they were to "just march"? The simultaneous demand component of visual programs has designers by the balls these days.

Started following Scouts in the 90s so that's where my memory comes from. And I marched another corps before Scouts and I can absolutely tell you Scouts in the 90s were some scary dudes when the Superman Suit was on. It wasn't just me that felt that. They had a swagger and bravado that few could even come close to matching.

Started following Scouts in the 90s so that's where my memory comes from. And I marched another corps before Scouts and I can absolutely tell you Scouts in the 90s were some scary dudes when the Superman Suit was on. It wasn't just me that felt that. They had a swagger and bravado that few could even come close to matching.

not to say it wasnt so for you BUT I will tell you I go back alot further and teach to this day and never remember any scary image at all....maybe it was your image of it and thats cool. Swagger, yup I agree

• Like 2

To me, Vanguard was THE corps with the most intense, hide your wife and children, military-style precision and aggressiveness in the way they moved BITD. I never got that vibe from Madison, though they had some very good marching corps. (shrugs shoulders)

• Like 1

Also I think it's a bit sensitive to assume that any attacking of men prancing is homophobic. I've definitely seen men prance when they shouldn't, regardless of their sexual orientation. In fact, I find on average that straight men attempting to prance is much more likely to be offensive than gay men prancing. In any case, we would all do well as a gender, regardless of orientation, to raise the bar and step up our prancing game. Too long have we men been timid and tame in this manner. We must boldly prance into the future, -for the sake of our children, and our children's children, be they biological or adopted. Your friends don't prance and if they don't prance, well they're .... not my friends.

All prancing & mincing is bad. To be honest, I'm not sure that I would march drum corp today if I had to do all of the stupid body movements & such while playing a Snare Drum.

I'm with swmstom I know that look he speaks of. Slam the lid damb near over your eyes stone cold. And people keep saying where's the brotherhood. Have any of you dated a girl that was no good and everyone could see it and didn't say nothing but your brother was like dude she is gonna ruin you and she has got to go. The one guy that will give it to you straight your brother. Of course you know better than him till your pockets are empty and she ran off with your best friend. That's when you say wow brother why didn't you say anything. What! Your kidding right? That's how I see this. That is all.

Edited by Runitagain

Yup. That is the exact reason that I marched Scouts.

I get why people don't like to see the Scouts doing the body movement ( or any corps for that matter) but with the way it has become such a big part of the visual programs, wouldn't they constantly be at a competitive disadvantage visually if they were to "just march"? The simultaneous demand component of visual programs has designers by the balls these days.

I couldn't agree more. Until the judging sheets are changed this is what you'll get with every corps. You get credit if you do it thus get penalized if you don't. IMHO it adds nothing but an opportunity for discussions like this on how stupid it looks. Just think how much time is wasted by all corps during the course of a year on all the hip wagging.

• Like 2