Crown vs. BD this year

The purple pants hiding the dirt? i don't understand that. I really liked Crown's uniform change. I did not like the cream Uniform. I love their early look circa 2003 or so. They won though. Cadets drumline really brought it but if you get a chance listen to the 2nd place drumline. pretty impressive (and they also did hand to hand flams)

The purple pants hiding the dirt? i don't understand that. I really liked Crown's uniform change. I did not like the cream Uniform. I love their early look circa 2003 or so. They won though. Cadets drumline really brought it but if you get a chance listen to the 2nd place drumline. pretty impressive (and they also did hand to hand flams)

You don't understand that darker uniforms hide dirt? Contrast between the field is much less than when they wore cream. As far as liking the cream vs. their current "magic of indiana" look I guess that's just personal taste. The corps appears (to me) much smaller, shorter and less impressive in the darker color scheme. They blend in with the field - which I guess was the goal.

• Like 1

I'm actually pretty curious to see which part of the unis they'll change out for future shows. My best guess would be that red/orange piece, but idk how flexible any pieces of the uniform are.

Even more so than the black, I think the purple is fairly close a color to the green on the field. I'm no color expert here, but there isn't a whole lot of green in purple considering a RGB ratio, maybe just the fact it wasn't solid black or bright white made it blend in my brain. It was also not a very bright purple so it would have been closer to a black than anything. Maybe live it was less blendy, but definitely on a computer or television, they tend to blend, and the stripe doesn't really make it to the box like, say, two white pant stripes. At least BD has those 2 giant stripes on a leg and a giant white plume which effectively expose foot timing and their dot-age a la classic cavaliers hats and feathers (dunno the names), but nothing comes close to white pants.

But really, it's not so much it hides the dirt such that you can see it looking at everyone (but you still can), or crossing your eyes staring at a 3D illusion, but you don't really have to narrow your scope that much to see it. I'm really quite hard pressed to find much anything that hits in the closer like you'd expect a 1st place show to hit. And not just a first place show, but first in Vis Analysis, which I'm pretty sure is box visual cleanliness. But even throughout the show, if anything on them was visible that would have made them stand out, there would have been I think numerous, unforgivable errors intervallically, in foot timing, and from a form control standpoint. But I guess someone's just gonna pull the 'whelp the judges didn't see it so screw you!' on me again. But that's not really what this is about. take that opinion and decide for yourself, really, go watch those high cams of finals. Crown at many times just looked to me like middle 6 at finals. Plus Crown phases more than once in the finals performance, go find those instances.

You can pick out the flaws in BD's show too (I have) and you can see a kid hit a pole, some gaps open up, usually because they're avoiding poles, but they close pretty quickly after they get through it. Flammy-as-all-get-out entrance at the beginning of the show, first low brass sound is flub flub. Errors are there, but they usually go away instead of follow them around for a couple sets. You can tell what was the late season band-aids were, it's apparent the limitations of poles and their orientation while moving when they do a pinwheel with them, and couple double tonguing trumpets were eeehhhhh. But they played the pinwheel game better and the box rotation game better, the circle game, the dance game, the foot timing game, all that. But still no one came close to Cadets whoo boy. It was like the early 2000s, late 1990s again for them.

Edited by TESB
  • Like 1

Oh sorry I thought you meant just the color purple. lol

When I saw a picture of them I didn't like it but when I saw them live I thought it looked interesting. I give them props for doing an interesting uniform that isn't the star trek look like all the other corps have. (even though I do like star trek)

So funny to see how people can't see past their own preconceptions.

The purple pants "blend in to the grass" ? Oh because they were such a dark purple. :doh:

And the uniform hides dirt? Yeah because the giant orange stripe is just not readable from the stands. :doh: :doh:

06_19_2013_crown_2013.jpg

Thank God you're here.

I was beginning to look around for a brick wall to bang my head against.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Thank God you're here.

I was beginning to look around for a brick wall to bang my head against.

Lol. I've been enjoying the sour grape fest (in both the Crown threads).

In truth I think the maroon team is more upset then the blue team. Some of the borg can't stand to see Crown win. OTOH the left coast fans saw Crown live this season so they're kind of "that's cool for them."

Edited by corpsband

In truth I think the maroon team is more upset then the blue team. Some of the borg can't stand to see Crown win. OTOH the left coast fans saw Crown live this season so they're kind of "meh - that's cool for them."

From my viewings out West, the left coast folks were blown away by Crown, and were pretty happy they did so well.

• Like 1