Crown vs. BD this year

Re: Film analogy; not everyone loves 2001, but I mean ID4 is ID4

Ah, but what if Crown is not Independence Day but Star Wars, every bit as populist as ID4 but much more widely respected? (That said, the three film critics previously mentioned, who in 1968 found 2001 to be pretentious, all panned Star Wars in 1977 as childish. Though my favorite attack on Star Wars comes from the science fiction writer, Harlan Ellison. For myself, I love Star Wars.)

• Like 1

Does he? I think so, but I haven't watch the show again since I did the sampling.

No, the two trumpet players at the beginning split the solos later on. One plays the piccolo solo, the other plays the flugel solo

Re: ID4, I stand by my statement. Independence Day is a fun adaptation of War of the Worlds featuring a nerdier and less sexy Dr. Ian Malcolm and The Fresh Prince. I have got to get me one of these! Make no mistake, I watched it a month ago and was thoroughly entertained! It's one of the greatest films of the 90s, and the special effects are STILL truly amazing: real work with models, not CGI, much like Crown's painfully difficult books. Like ID4, Crown's 2013 program had nothing we haven't seen before: "3D drill" (2012? I think?) Sleight of hand "magic" (late 80s SCV) Ridiculous brass playing (early 90s Star, earlier Crown) a love story of separation and reuniting (2009), and crazy fast drill (90s Cadets), Phillip Glass (SCV 99 and a lot of outher corps).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Crown is a bad corps, certainly not in execution and not usually in technique. The "Somewhere" moment with the synth celesta at Atlanta in 2009 was one of the most powerful moments I've experienced at a corps show, and they blew The Cadets out of the water (things were reversed the next night in SC). However, I'm pointing out that Crown has a very specific, crowd-pleasing formula which they've stuck to since at least 2007. This year they had the hosses (and favorable judging) to take the title.

At the end of the day, though, I think the experimentation with form, execution, staging, use of technology, and overall conceptual approach of 2008-2013 BD will be remembered longer. 2012 in particular played with the standard "signifiers" of drum corps more than any show I can remember seeing (even 1993 Star). I dig complexity and conceptual depth, and yes, I do like interesting rhythms, meters, timbres and harmonies. It's not for everyone.

TL;DR: I'm an ethnomusicologist.

• Like 1

It really is interesting. All the BD love for a show that received relatively little during the season. Maybe musically a little more accessible than usual for them, but still on par with what they've been putting on the field. Gripe, gripe, gripe when BD is winning year in and year out.

But then when someone dethrones them momentarily, it's the crowd that willed the judges to give the title to Crown (or Phantom).

Monday Morning Quarterbacking, DCP style. Sure, there were flaws in Crown's show. Sure there were areas where BD was superior. But from a total package, Crown had it. And they had effect in spades. Maybe it was too juvenile for the suddenly overly-sophisticated DCP crowd, but it was there nonetheless.

I look forward to BD returning to their usual bad-### selves next year, putting out another multi-layered, sophisticated show that they'll probably win with and eagerly anticipate DCP yearning for a return to more simplistic "one-read" shows after they do....

• Like 1

DCI caved to the fans and the powers that be - BD was the best in 2013. Now that BD was dethroned, here's hoping to more objective judging in 2014!

If DCI did "cave in" to the fans, that would be a first and finally people who claim there should be audience participation in the judging would be happy. However, I don't think that happened.So who are the "powers that be?" Usually George Hopkins is blamed for everything wrong with DCI, and if he's not to blame it's David Gibbs and Jeff Fiedler often has dirty hands. At least according to some people who post on this site. So did these directors really get together and decide it was going to be Crown's year at the expense of their own corps? Probably not.

There were no conspiracies, Crown's show met more of the criteria judges were looking for just as last year, BD's show did the same.