Crown vs. BD this year

Does anyone feel like they enjoy BD more than Crown this year? I've been watching BD a lot since finals, and I find it pretty stunning. The combination and coordination of so many elements, the effects created through amplification and electronics, and the source music all combine into a powerful package. I love how they play with expected forms--musically, visually, choreographically. For example, many "traditional" drill moves and marching techniques are absent, but the individual responsibilities of the performers are still impressive. I'm beginning to wonder if BD vs. Crown is was a bit like Star vs. Cadets in 1993. Cadets won with a pretty conventional "higher, faster, harder, louder" design, but BD on repeated viewing accomplished some very daring and effective things exceptionally well. Anyone with me?

• Like 2

I like both rather equally, but I feel that I am one of the few that liked BD from the first time I saw them (though I still feel that as a whole, their show, while really hard, still wasn't as demanding as Crown's)

• Like 1

It might be said that this year, Crown's show needed more than one viewing to be fully appreciated. There were knowledgeable participants of this forum, for instance, who didn't "get" the 3D aspect of Crown's spinning pyramid until it was posted here as a gif after the season ended.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

It might be said that this year, Crown's show needed more than one viewing to be fully appreciated. There were knowledgeable participants of this forum, for instance, who didn't "get" the 3D aspect of Crown's spinning pyramid until it was posted here as a gif after the season ended.

Raises hand. In the moment, I didn't realize that. I think it helped to see the maneuver in two dimensions as opposed to three dimensions live. As much as I freaked over the show at the end of the season, I wonder if appreciating it as a form with sides changing focus from one side facing front to another side facing front would have been just a bit too much to handle at the time.

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed BD this year. I found myself mesmerized by the show. I even found myself whistling the recurring theme at work. The guard...oh, the guard was nothing short of brilliant. Loved, loved, LOVED it!

I'm not sure I'd watch BD again. Crown I would for the hornline

There are all kinds of debates about whether the runner up should have placed first. Personally I believe that 79 Phantom and 80 27th Lancers had better shows than Blue Devils. Some question whether 88 SCV should have topped Madison and whether 89 Phantom should have topped 89 SCV. As the original poster mentioned there are debates about 1993. In more recent years some believed Crown's 2nd place in 2009 should have been a first and the same holds true with 2012 and there were some who thought Blue Devils should have topped Cadets in 2011.

Regarding Crown v. Blue Devils, I thought Crown should have won prelims and semi's, and most definitely finals. Crown's show had that intangible feel of a champion.

The music was phenomenal and even though their drum woes were commented on by plenty of posters, they did make it up in other areas. The show was original, well performed, kept the audience excited, and had many of the characteristics that people associated with BD's "Cabaret Voltaire" of 2012. Now I was not a huge fan of that show, but I could objectively sit back, watch it, and see why it won even of I did not agree with all of the judging in Indy (I thought Crown was clearly second in prelims, was stronger than BD in semi's, and could have gone either way in finals). For me, "Rewrite of Spring" was missing something. Actually I found the finals performance off a bit, and wouldn't have been all that surprised if Cadets or even SCV had topped BD, though I have been around long enough to know the likelihood of that was about zero.

I do not see "Rewrite of Spring" as 2013's version of Star's "Medea." BD did not tread new ground in "Rewrite" nor was it a show misunderstood as "Medea" was and if you look carefully, you see elements in "Rewrite" that are similar to "Cabaret Voltaire," the difference being the props used and musical choices. I would not be surprised to see a revolutionary show from BD next year, and while I would expect to see a strong Crown show next year and would have no problem with a repeat victory, I'm not automatically predicting first place. That being said, I do believe Crown deserved to win in 2013 and in my humble opinion, which could become even humbler with future posts by other commenters, I do not see "Rewrite" as one of the great runner-up shows that should have placed first.

• Like 1

In the end, yes

I enjoyed both shows throughout the entire season, but I definitely find myself watching BD more post-season and generally find it more enjoyable after each viewing (along with a few others, such as The Cadets). That's nothing new for me, though. My "favorites" tend to change a bit once the dust has settled.

From what I hear BD clobbered them in prelims but choked in semi's and finals. Hornline issues I guess. They were neck and neck all season though. I'm glad i got to see Crown live. Their hornline really had a clarity to it. With that young of a drumline they can only get better.