Carolina Crown: Play charts that nobody else could play.

The Poll  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Does Crown play charts that no other drum corps could play?

• True
    • False

Not in the same way Blue Devils did: DEFINITELY not visually. To be blunt NOBODY designs visually like Blue Devils

My point, again, is that Blue Devils, Crown, Cadets design in specific ways to max out sheets & effect for their own strengths/weaknesses. Crown's version of re:Rite of Spring would have little similarities to Blue Devils and Blue Devils E=mc2 would be radically different than Crown (though, FWIW, I would LOVE to see what Blue Devils would do with that rotating 3D cone - I don't think that was ever really crystal clean). The beauty of those corps, and to a lesser extent recently Cavaliers, is that their designers are very unique and do their own thing their own way. Arguably other corps do that as well, but not IMO to the extent that Crown, Blue Devils and Cadets (and sometimes Cavaliers lately) do. I read what Mike Klesch said more as a testament to design sensibilities than "only Crown can play the horn books we play - no one else could." Perhaps I'm wrong about his intent

They don't play anything any other top 12 corps couldn't pull off. They tend to have one of the better hornlines every year so they are pretty bold with their selections but it's not like the other top hornlines couldn't play the same stuff if they chose.

• Like 2

I interpreted what was said as, no one else could pull off that concept, music, visual, the way we would, and as effectively in the same way that we would. That is what each group tries to do each year. the same with the high school band that I work with, we try to design a show that we know our group can "pull off" and perform better than any of our competition could.

Don't think Crown could have pulled off re:Rite of Spring? With their staff and talent? Really???

Musically, I would imagine that anyone who is a member of Blue Devils could have performed "E=MC2" and any member of Crown could have performed "re-Rite of Spring." Neither corps suffers from a lack of talent. However, being able to perform and being successful are two different things. In 1988, Spirit of Atlanta had a reasonably good show with "Petrouchka" but everyone thought it was the end of the world because Spirit was not a corps one associates with Stravinsky. I'm not sure I'd associate "re-Rite" with Crown. That being said, I don't think Stravinsky was a comfortable fit for BD either.

• Like 1

I hope you don't write tests and quizzes for a living. Your poll "question" is practically unanswerable.

• Like 3

To elaborate, and sorry if I were flip, but I think any of the top 3-4 corps could play that if they tried. Maybe not the first year, but Crown has certainly been working up to that, it's not like they are the only ones who can implement a technique program.

Hmm..just following your logic...this means that you don't think any of the top 3 or 4 corps could play those charts right now.

They don't play anything any other top 12 corps couldn't pull off. They tend to have one of the better hornlines every year so they are pretty bold with their selections but it's not like the other top hornlines couldn't play the same stuff if they chose.

Wow.

That's even bolder than Klesch's statement.

You think that any of the top 12 could play the E=MC2 charts?

Don't think I could agree with that at all.

• Like 1

Dude, we know you like Crown. They're a spectacularly good corps, no doubt. I watched 2012 last night and was really blown away by their proficiency.

In terms of corps not being able to do each others' styles of concept, that is something truly interesting. I thought every corps was the same these days......

PS whitedawn nailed it. Bring back The Zone approach

• Like 1

In terms of the technique thing, I'm just pointing out that other corps focus on different kinds of difficulty. Some people love runs in F major, some like really effective staging and innovative use of electronics. Just like Cadets like ramming notes in the drumline and others like....other stuff. Perhaps the pendulum has swung back to flashy, incredibly difficult programs rather than innovation, or perhaps the judges just dug what Crown was laying down.