Carolina Crown: Play charts that nobody else could play.

The Poll  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Does Crown play charts that no other drum corps could play?

• True
    • False

Wow.

That's even bolder than Klesch's statement.

You think that any of the top 12 could play the E=MC2 charts?

Don't think I could agree with that at all.

Yes

Edited by SFZFAN

This attitude used to be the basis of the Cadets. Now it's Crown, while the Cadets continue to do safe, safer, safest programs. Funny how things change.

Hmm... I thought the Cadets were anything but safe this season. Maybe the best music book Bocook has brought to the field. In fact I think it was pretty edgy of them to not just run and gun. Lose the boxes and clean the guard and that program passes BD.

• Like 2

This attitude used to be the basis of the Cadets. Now it's Crown, while the Cadets continue to do safe, safer, safest programs. Funny how things change.

a lot of that IMO comes from the directors artistic visions

Hmm... I thought the Cadets were anything but safe this season. Maybe the best music book Bocook has brought to the field. In fact I think it was pretty edgy of them to not just run and gun. Lose the boxes and clean the guard and that program passes BD.

May have even passed Crown.

• Like 3

Drum corps isn't just a brass workshop for music majors where the goal is to play the most obtuse and strange things on the planet; it's also performance and entertainment medium. It seems like so many want it to be some extreme extension of Concert band season. If that's the case, just ground the brass and create some modern form of brass band. I think I see what you're trying to say, but that's not their focus. That's BDs focus.

I don't care what keys these corps play in. I don't care what intervals any of these corps play. As long as it's done well and isn't boring and makes sense, I just want to enjoy the show. You know, all that subjective stuff that we all argue about.

This isn't a conversation about which show is better, or whether corps could/should play more notes. Its simply an evaluation of a statement someone made. Could other brass lines do the things that Crown is doing. The overwhelming answer in my opinion is yes. Crown writes their show around an Ott trophy. They focus (almost entirely) on programming to showcase their brass section (and in my opinion, that is part of the issue with their percussion scores). That being said, (and as others have mentioned) the things their brass are doing are pretty straight forward. That's not to say they aren't difficult, but they are skills that with the right training are definitely performable by a top 12 brass line. The trick is, the demands never stop. The brass just never stops playing. Yes, the argument could be made that what they are doing is harder than the rest of DCI, but by how much? How many of those skills are just a product of working on endurance for the entire summer?

As a percussionist I liken it to the difference between a Thom Hannum book and a Mike Macintosh book. I wouldn't classify either as harder than the other (depending on the year), but the difficulty is different. Hannums notes are much more straight forward, with rhythms that are sometimes easier to grasp at the beginning. There are just 5 million of those rhythms. The difficulty is often in the sheer density. Mac's notes tend to be a little more mentally complicated, with metric modulations all over the place, bizarre uneven phrases (see 2011 snare feature), unusual stickings, and so on. Macs notes may not be as dense as Hannum's, but they will take longer to wrap the mind around.

Essentially, with the right training, any of the performers at this level will be able to grasp the concepts being taught at another level. Any of the staffs would be able to teach said concepts. Crown has chosen the direction they want to go in, and it works for them. The same can be said for Blue Devils, Cadets etc. The idea that one corps couldn't play another corps show is a little ridiculous. Every drum corps focuses on the skills needed to perform their show with their technique program. If Blue Devils were playing Crown's show, they would change the priorities of their technique program. Crown would do the same if the opposite were true.

Klesch's statement would ring more true if he were to stay "what can we do that other corps WOULDN'T do". That has been the difference between their brass and others in the past few years.

• Like 4

Klesch's statement would ring more true if he were to stay "what can we do that other corps WOULDN'T do". That has been the difference between their brass and others in the past few years.

Right on, and I think that is how I interpreted what he said: not that corps "couldn't" technically program/perform Crown's brass books, more of a corps "wouldn't" program their brass books and therefor 'couldn't pull it off the specific way Crown does.

Right on, and I think that is how I interpreted what he said: not that corps "couldn't" technically program/perform Crown's brass books, more of a corps "wouldn't" program their brass books and therefor 'couldn't pull it off the specific way Crown does.

Actually he's really clear about what he means in the interview.

Here's the relevant portion:

http://kiwi6.com/file/u4t5uj5jb5

There's no ambiguity and the spin you guys are putting on the question is just not there. (Which is kind of why I posted this to begin with...)

They don't play anything any other top 12 corps couldn't pull off. They tend to have one of the better hornlines every year so they are pretty bold with their selections but it's not like the other top hornlines couldn't play the same stuff if they chose.

You're either high as hell, or have never taught in the top 12. Either way, you're absolutely dead wrong. Spend a summer with a couple of those horn lines and reevaluate that statement.