DCI BOD Drama....more to come?

The rubric isn't that complicated, and the DCI judges are usually good about judging based on the sheets and not on some nebulous "Is the cloud giving lots of standing ovations?" criteria.

What if it gives the corps thunderous applause?

• Like 3

Who goes into hibernation more... DCP''ers or Corps ? I know its a tough question. There are few DCP'ers to discuss what is happening in Drum Corps because Janet Napolitano of Homeland Security has ordered all Corps to go into total information lockdown as it is believed that the free flow of information will be potentially dangerous to national security... as well as damage a Corps ability in mid August to finish well in placement and have fans like their show by August Finals that season. Corps also believe that a total lockdown of the activity, and its information flow for 42 weeks out of the year, is healthy for the activity. Its better for fans to go to sleep for 42 weeks.. or watch old tapes... than to learn anything at all as to what is going on with Corps, music, themes, practices, etc. Sports don't do this to their legions of fans of their sports in the offeseason, but what do they know, right ? At one time, Drum Corps had press reporters go to the wide open practices and report back their observations to readers of several Drum Corps publications of what was happening, and people could then discuss and debate the assessment. Corps even gave exhibitions in the winter.. at Carnegie Halll, NYC, Symphony Hall, Boston, etc, and lots of stuff going on and being reported on, and discussed on. But I understand that its all changed as things have " evolved " now to the point that personal hibernation for the fan for the 42 weeks now seems like a good option. Drum Corps for 42 weeks out of the year now has put you to sleep. Theres nothing being reported, so you won't miss anything. So sleep well, sleep tight, and. enjoy your sleep.. but don't oversleep, as DCI needs you as a loyal and remaining fan to come back from your self imWposed fall and winter hibernation in approx. 6 months hence... but only for about 10 weeks.. until you are returned to hibernation once again before Labor Day.

Hype is like so 80's. No need to be a dinosaur. It ruins the activity.

For crying out loud. The CORPS decide what is GE. They put it on the sheets. The judges adjudicate based on the parameters set up by the corps! This nonsense needs to stop.

thanks for emphasizing my point.

Hype is like so 80's. No need to be a dinosaur. It ruins the activity.

In Brasso's defence, when we went to Indy 2010, we watched drum corps and met 2 fine gentlemen that were into sports news. I have a photo of their bus that said 'On the Road to Camp'.

Brenda and I were pleased because we like sports and drum corps. I'm nerdier than Brenda because I also like classical, jazz, musicals, science and math :smile: Now where were we?

As I've ben reading the posts so far, some quite intriguing, others, well in the spirit of the holidays we'll just say some jump out more than others...., we often hear about BOD rifts and fights, and usually our friend George is involved somehow.

To me, the problem may be the makeup of the board. Most successful non-profits have as board members those who have an idea of what the organization attempts to do, but not someone with too vested an interest. School boards for example are usually not top heavy with parents. At heart, all directors, including George Hopkins, have the best interest of the activity in mind, but what often becomes the practice is that what is "best" for all corps really only benefits a few. This is more a natural reaction than an out and out fault. When a board is only made of directors of corps, their own vested interests will be what matters most. So unless a new model of governance is developed, it will be the same old, same old.

well I know at least one of the "7" has said out loud a unified DCI is best for all

• Like 1

Corps Directors in an advisory capacity to the DCI Board, yes. Corps Directors voting on DCI Board Candidates at the Annual Meeting, yes. But Corps Directors as actual DCI Board Members, no. Why? Conflict of interest; and this situation is a prime example. Hopkins, as Director of YEA and the Cadets, is charged by the YEA Board to look out for the best interest of YEA and the Cadets. Hopkins is also charged, as a DCI Board member, to look out for the best interest of DCI. Sometimes what is in the best interest of DCI as a whole is not in the best interest of a particular individual corps like the Cadets. So, when Hopkins is placed in that perplexing position as a DCI Board Member, as well as the YEA Cadets Corps Director, he is thus involved in a conflict of interest. And this conflict applies to any and all Corps Directors who are also on the DCI Board of Directors.

• Like 4

Hype ruins the activity?

Hype creates excitement, excitement produces exposure. The results of exposure are often new members, new fans, and new potential donors.

I attend a good number of musical events, both professional and amateur and what I love about drum corps is being entertained and impressed, and if something impresses me, I want to respond and this response is based not on excellence alone, but a corps performing to the best of its ability. Beginning with Blue Saints, the first corps to appear at prelims, and concluding with Carolina Crown, the last corps to perform at finals, I found something to applaud. Is it hype? Perhaps, but it's a great time.

I am under no illusion that we will have the crowds we once had at drum corps shows, but we'll have fewer if there's no hype.

Corps Directors in an advisory capacity to the DCI Board, yes. Corps Directors voting on DCI Board Candidates at the Annual Meeting, yes. But Corps Directors as actual DCI Board Members, no. Why? Conflict of interest; and this situation is a prime example. Hopkins, as Director of YEA and the Cadets, is charged by the YEA Board to look out for the best interest of YEA and the Cadets. Hopkins is also charged, as a DCI Board member, to look out for the best interest of DCI. Sometimes what is in the best interest of DCI as a whole is not in the best interest of a particular individual corps like the Cadets. So, when Hopkins is placed in that perplexing position as a DCI Board Member, as well as the YEA Cadets Corps Director, he is thus involved in a conflict of interest. And this conflict applies to any and all Corps Directors who are also on the DCI Board of Directors.

but they will never give up the power to change this.