DCI Chief Judge Gary Markham's wife in the hot seat

Screw the trophies.

She's giving them an education. If people only understand trophies and championships then they can go to the local trophy shop and buy all they want. Let the woman teach, that's what she's being paid to do.

Dan

true, but sadly to many, "winning"=teaching.

I think some parents are trying to live their lives through their kids. This is nuts.

It's so sad when young people have to suffer through life experiences that aren't as kick ### as they could be. (Come to think of it, maybe I and my fellow dental students should do something similar--I'm sure our faculty would love to hear our opinions on how they could better teach us. LOL.)

Edited by year1buick

Must say I am glad Ginny has obtained private counsel in this matter. Seems people only respond through the threat of litigation. Looks like she is going to fight this. Good for her.

On a disappointing note, it is unfortunate that her lawyer refered to the success of the program being related to winning champiionships. My experience is that Ginny is an educator. She is there to teach and help young musicians progress. I would be very surprised if Ginny would refer to the success of the program being based solely on winning marching band championships. What about the concert bands, jazz band, percussion ensemble, winter guard, small ensembles, etc., etc, etc. It's not all about marching band...despite the views of a few disgrunteled parents and students.

Dan

That's just a lawyer and his sound bite talking. He realizes that he has to fluff her up quickly,and demonize the parents all in one fail safe swat off the bat. That sound bite does that.

I'm sure Ginney can sit back and rest well on her laurels once he gets done with them.

Too bad she can't tell the parents "Guess what...here's the baton...knock yourself out. I'll be in the office when you start screaming incoherently and can't even get the kids to play a scale in tune.

In other words...I AM THE TEACHER...NOT YOU."

Too bad she can't tell the parents "Guess what...here's the baton...knock yourself out. I'll be in the office when you start screaming incoherently and can't even get the kids to play a scale in tune.

In other words...I AM THE TEACHER...NOT YOU."

I agree with you in that the band director should run the program the way he/she sees fit and I am 100% in support of Ginny Markham; but I also believe that the taxpayer has the right and duty to stand up and voice concerns concerning tax funded schools as well as believe in parental rights as to what their children are taught in school. And this is not an oxymoron for me because I also believe in School Choice, Vouchers, and Charter schools so that parents can send their child to an educational environment which best suits their parental belief structure and not be forced to send their chiild to any particualr specific school.

Don't disagree with anything you say here. I am also in total support of all of those things. I am not however, in support of uneducated morons whining to the press and ruining the career of a young talented teacher for no reason other than the perception that she can't win marching band trophies, (even if she already has!) I am getting really tired of great educators being driven from their profession due to circumstances like this. The biggest loosers are the kids. Two words Lassiter band parents...HOME SCHOOL!

I agree with you in that the band director should run the program the way he/she sees fit and I am 100% in support of Ginny Markham; but I also believe that the taxpayer has the right and duty to stand up and voice concerns concerning tax funded schools as well as believe in parental rights as to what their children are taught in school. And this is not an oxymoron for me because I also believe in School Choice, Vouchers, and Charter schools so that parents can send their child to an educational environment which best suits their parental belief structure and not be forced to send their chiild to any particualr specific school.

One of the band parents commented on the newspaper's website that the band won the BOA regional only because Gary, as BOA's head judge, picks the judges for the event. WHAT? Seriously...if that was a consideration, you would have heard every other band director screaming about that.

No one in this activity has a better name than Gary Markham. Why? Because he's honest and ethical and everyone knows that.

Here's a thought: Maybe they won because they deserved to win. Novel concept...

• Like 1