Should DCI add a Front Ensemble judge?

I wonder:

Was this proposal already in the works in December and DCP (in the person of charlie) picked up on it?

Or did someone in DCI's leadership read the suggestion here and propose it?

• Like 1

I wonder:

Was this proposal already in the works in December and DCP (in the person of charlie) picked up on it?

Or did someone in DCI's leadership read the suggestion here and propose it?

I would love to take all the credit for inspiring a rule change like this!! But honestly it was Micheal Boo's post about the Judge-o-blimp or something that made me think about the percussion judge running around the field and so I did some minor research into it. But we know that on occasion the big wigs like to peruse DCP... so maybe it DID??? or it's just a coincidence!

Edited by charlie1223

The Perc 2 judge will also be in a MUCH better position to judge the Content aspect of the caption as it relates to compositional appropriateness and its part in the context of the music as a whole, which most brass guys judging Ensemble Music or GE Music aren't doing.

Mike McIntosh comments on Perc 2 passing via Facebook:

Hi everyone,
There have been a lot of posts about the DCI weekend. I have attached the second percussion judge thoughts I presented this weekend. After discussing this in our music room, the final thought was-the only way to create a safe environment for judge and performer-the only way to not have the judge be an eyesore during the visual presentation-the only way to take in the micro detail of the marching percussion book (details that separate first and second finals week) is to have TWO judges. This also allows the intricacies and compositional detail between the battery and pit as well as the electronic design to be assessed from upstairs as a holistic percussion ensemble. This does not affect the Music Analysis judge's role. After speaking to the instructor's and eventually answering questions at the Board of Directors vote, the proposed 2nd judge passed unanimously in both rooms. All in all, the judge will be in the stands/box until July 7th. (this has been the normal protocol for a while). After July 7th, the judge (when there is only 1) will be on the field. The first major regional is July 12th weekend where DCI will have two judges. During the week the remainder of the season, the judge will be on the field (1 judge scenario) with two judges being present at all major regionals and DCI Championships. There is not a right way to do this. I feel its the best way to keep it in the member's hands, keep everyone safe and evaluate the percussion as completely as possible.

-Mike

PROPOSAL:

Add a Second Percussion Judge to the Denver, Minneapolis, San Antonio, Murfreesboro, Atlanta, Allentown 1 and 2, and DCI Championships week panels.

There is no “best” way to adjudicate DCI percussion sections. They are unique in many ways. Their demonstrative approach to content and precision makes it impossible to “catch” the intricacies from the stands. These intricacies can be seen as tenths of a point towards the end of the season. They are the deciding factors when it comes to ranking and rating. That being said, having one percussion judge running around trying to catch everything is a safety issue and an eyesore. It also puts the judge in a survival mindset making it very tough to actively listen to a performance. The judge is being asked to do the work of two people. Therefore, the best way to alleviate safety issues while allowing the percussion to be adjudicated in a holistic manner is to allow the performance to be adjudicated by two people.

Adding another percussion judge would allow the pit and battery to be assessed not only as a subcomponent to the percussion design, but also as a holistic entity in and of itself. Nuances only heard in the parking lot or on a percussion-only field now “matter” regarding thoughtful orchestration and integration of both the battery and pit elements.

The role of the field percussion judge is the same, except now he/she can have a relaxed state of mind knowing the front ensemble is being evaluated at all times. This allows the P1 judge to make sensible, calm decisions regarding sampling. It would allow for longer phrases to be sampled and it would alleviate the need to cover vast amounts of territory, *which in the past, has accounted for 20% of the sampling experience.

The role of the P2 judge would be that of taking in the percussion in its totality. This would also include the role played by electronic orchestration in this ever evolving percussion music landscape. How the pit, electronics and battery work together to create a concise, musical percussion contribution would be their main sampling objective.

SYSTEM IMPACT:
The original point delineation would be doubled and eventually halved, creating no impact on the overall system. The “well” of Percussion judges is deep allowing for a P2 evaluation while not detracting from the Total GE and Ensemble Analysis judging pool.

EDUCATIONAL IMPACT:
We have the personnel to do this and feel it’s the best way to evaluate our young performers. They get the benefit of a “read” that is holistic and complete. They will receive 20% more commentary at these shows, which is much more educationally useful.

• Like 1

The Perc 2 judge will also be in a MUCH better position to judge the Content aspect of the caption as it relates to compositional appropriateness and its part in the context of the music as a whole, which most brass guys judging Ensemble Music or GE Music aren't doing.

agree

So, just a quick devil's advocate before this thread goes nighty night...

Is it judge 1 or judge 2 that pays attention to the pit? Or is it just the judge before July 7th half the time?

Another D's A...

If the amps are supposed to make 4 marimbas just as loud as 80 brass to "fit in context", doesn't that by definition mean pit is its own section? I don't think it's good, but if that is how it's being judged (and it is...) doesn't this create its own divided section? Effectively, I'd rather see the *brass* execution judge watch the pit since they're dealing with that pesky treble and bass clef...

OK, OK, dead horse. I'll see myself out. :)

the way I read it is, if field can't get to them, upstairs focuses more there.

the way I read it is, if field can't get to them, upstairs focuses more there.

The result I hope for is that the field judge can let the battery be more often and spend more time in front of the pit with the knowledge that battery will still be judged from up top. What I think it might end up meaning is that the field judge will still spend more time with battery since he knows the pit will be judged while he is not away. It changes the process for the better but unfortunately it won't change the way of thinking.

But then it is curious the way you described it that the field judge may affect what the top judge focuses on...

Edited by charlie1223