Bluecoats 2014

I just feel like SCV show has so much room to grow. Their hornline is better than last year and percussion wise we all know they are at or near the top. Their drill is going to be difficult to clean with the white uniforms, but if it can be done watch out. I am not a fan of Crown's show, but I am hoping it grows on me. I think people will be surprised at SCV's finish as the unfinished dirty show I saw in person at Stanford has so much potential and could end up being a crowd favorite. It will be exciting if BD, Cadets, Crown, Bloo and SCV are all close by Finals. So many changes will be made by every corps so I guess we will have to wait and see.

I just feel like SCV show has so much room to grow. Their hornline is better than last year and percussion wise we all know they are at or near the top. Their drill is going to be difficult to clean with the white uniforms, but if it can be done watch out. I am not a fan of Crown's show, but I am hoping it grows on me. I think people will be surprised at SCV's finish as the unfinished dirty show I saw in person at Stanford has so much potential and could end up being a crowd favorite. It will be exciting if BD, Cadets, Crown, Bloo and SCV are all close by Finals. So many changes will be made by every corps so I guess we will have to wait and see.

That's a whole other discussion. I mentioned back around 2007 that the scores were becoming so close. I think it was 2007 where every one of the top 8 corps had beaten all other 7 corps in competition at least once through the course of the year. Those scores were remarkably tight as I remember... like a 3 or 4 point spread through the top 8.

While I think that they could (and should) be judged in this way... I noted back back then that the judging community was likely to adjust their judging in future years to spread out the pack a bit more. This is faulty thinking IMO... but look at where we are. We are seeing cleaner and stronger corps than ever all the way down through quarterfinalist groups, but the point spreads have been moved back to the pre-2000's marks.

The revolution of competition, preparation and contention has little to show for itself in terms of point value these days.

That's a whole other discussion. I mentioned back around 2007 that the scores were becoming so close. I think it was 2007 where every one of the top 8 corps had beaten all other 7 corps in competition at least once through the course of the year. Those scores were remarkably tight as I remember... like a 3 or 4 point spread through the top 8.

While I think that they could (and should) be judged in this way... I noted back back then that the judging community was likely to adjust their judging in future years to spread out the pack a bit more. This is faulty thinking IMO... but look at where we are. We are seeing cleaner and stronger corps than ever all the way down through quarterfinalist groups, but the point spreads have been moved back to the pre-2000's marks.

The revolution of competition, preparation and contention has little to show for itself in terms of point value these days.

Well, what else are the judges supposed to do? They can't award the top six 98.5 through 99.0 just because shows are much better than they used to be.

A lot of the spreads just falls out of the mathematics of the scoring system. The numbers must rank and rate the groups, not provide an absolute measure of quality. Judges are encouraged not to tie groups, so you wind up with 0.1 or 0.2 spreads in each caption. Add that up and you come up with half a point or so between most groups and the familiar "12 points for 12 corps" finals scoring.

Even if every finalist group performed at the level of BD, you'd still wind up with pretty familiar numbers because judges have to make decisions no matter how good the groups are.

• Like 1

I also feel in post contest meetings some groups advocate for their program maybe better than other groups who have a better overall package. I really think Bluecoats have a fantastic show/producton this year. It has a Championship quality. Each section has a great deal to clean up.........and you are this close to a Cadet show that really looks maxed out?!? This early in the season. Combine that with the best TOTAL package for any corps with regards to talent in all areas of the corps and I think the "Blooooo" staff has a great foundation on which to build a case for any post contest meeting. I only have video snippets and the cinema expereince but seriously, in my humble opinion, the wrong group won. 1st and 3rd should have been switched. I was with a huge CADET fan base and many thought the same -

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• Like 1

Oh, my!

Watched Bluecoats for the second time. AMAZING! This thing has it all. My choice to win it all at Indy. If that closer doesn't have you standing, applauding, and screaming in ECSTACY, you have no pulse.

it's time, Bluecoats.

• Like 1

I almost died when I heard their closer for the first time. That chord-synth-chord-synth-MASSIVE CHORD progression is genius and the best use of a synth I've ever heard in DCI. It was literally 30 seconds of a crazy wall of sound.

• Like 3

Just want to add that I was surrounded by SCV Alumni I and they all agreed that Bluecoats were above and beyond. I was in the restroom when some dude walked in after the scores were announced. He shouts out "so what's the consensus?" An SCV dude replies: "uhhh, Bluecoats?" Lol

• Like 1

DEFINITELY; and two great guys to boot!!

knowing Tom since diapers, yeah he's a great guy.

as good as 2010 was, it takes a lot to top 2001 as my face Bloo show. This one is probably going to be that show that does it.

• Like 1

I also feel in post contest meetings some groups advocate for their program maybe better than other groups who have a better overall package. I really think Bluecoats have a fantastic show/producton this year. It has a Championship quality. Each section has a great deal to clean up.........and you are this close to a Cadet show that really looks maxed out?!? This early in the season. Combine that with the best TOTAL package for any corps with regards to talent in all areas of the corps and I think the "Blooooo" staff has a great foundation on which to build a case for any post contest meeting. I only have video snippets and the cinema expereince but seriously, in my humble opinion, the wrong group won. 1st and 3rd should have been switched. I was with a huge CADET fan base and many thought the same -

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

except DCi did away with post contest critique a while ago