Bluecoats 2014

So it is just Fan Network's inability to mic a field correctly. Got it. :notify:

The sound board operator is absolutely allowed to work remotely from the stands. That rule change was passed in 2010 or 2011. I sat next to Vanguard Cadets' mixer in the top row (so just in front of the box) at a show in 2012 and watched him running the board from his tablet.

• Like 1

Purely speculation: I was at the show in Chester (PA) and on the second synthesizer bend at the end of the show the speaker sounded like it had over-modulated (it sounded sort like synthesizer had been too loud for the speaker). Since that show they have kept the volume down until now. I wonder if since that show they were tentative to push the speaker too far or if damage had actually been done to one of the speakers, hence the quieter sound. I can't imagine they budget for new speakers each season?

Awe. Some.

• Like 2

August 4th Massillon, Ohio....better get your tickets NOW!

This crowd is going to go NUTS!

Listed in reverse order of performance.

Bluecoats - Canton, OH
Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara, CA
Carolina Crown - Ft. Mill, SC
The Cadets - Allentown, PA
Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL
Crossmen - San Antonio, TX
Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA

• Like 1

August 4th Massillon, Ohio....better get your tickets NOW!

This crowd is going to go NUTS!

Listed in reverse order of performance.

Bluecoats - Canton, OH Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara, CA Carolina Crown - Ft. Mill, SC The Cadets - Allentown, PA Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL Crossmen - San Antonio, TX Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA

Man, I wish...

So it is just Fan Network's inability to mic a field correctly. Got it. :notify:

Aw, c'mon. Fan Network mixed Akron to sound awesome and then forgot how to after that? Fan Network doesn't mix anything, they take the feed they are given by DCI for the webcast. How thoroughly the field is covered is determined by much DCI wants to pay for any particular show to be covered well. Akron is a biggie because it kicks off the season in a big way.

The balance is better on youtube videos taken from the stands because that's where the blend of the whole corps is meant to be heard, but you lose clarity and the crowd noise is as loud as the corps. DCI opts for clarity for FN VOD productions by mic'ing it closely (yes, the Denver codec sucked live but the audio was fixed for VOD). It's not always a perfect mix but it's pretty good value for $70 for 20 or so VOD shows.

Edited by drangin