Bluecoats 2014

Out performing a show doesn't necessarily mean that the judges find the show to be easier than others. It means that the show is becoming easy for THEM. This is a good thing... but ONLY on finals night. The comp. and rep. scores stand alone against other corps comp. and rep. scores.

Thanks for the correction. I meant to say something along those lines.

Out performing a show doesn't necessarily mean that the judges find the show to be easier than others. It means that the show is becoming easy for THEM. This is a good thing... but ONLY on finals night. The comp. and rep. scores stand alone against other corps comp. and rep. scores.

Yes...and both the comp and rep scores will CONTINUE to go up for the next 4 shows!!!

• Like 1

Yes...and both the comp and rep scores will CONTINUE to go up for the next 4 shows!!!

Yes indeed... we sure hope so!

Bloo had a phenomenal run last night. They outperformed themselves in several captions. While that's great, it spells trouble for Bloo as the judges now think their books are too easy, atleast compared to other corps. I wouldn't get too hopeful.

Not really - especially after looking at today's recaps.

Edited by icecubeguy

Tie GE but 4th in Visual - ok?!? I think some wanted to call the show -

But hey I guess that is a normal thing and is explained by . . . . . purely conustruction?!?

According to recaps - So the feet are bad causing bad musical moments and since construction is bad or is maxed out, the musical moments are staged wrong so music / instrumentation is all wrong / balance is bad and staging and marching execution causes a bad read of Brass and Percussion..................OH Wait - won music / as well as percussion.........I see.........oh ok. So Tie High GE, WIn Music and sub Percussion...

But hey that makes sense?!?! NOT - I never heard of winning GE and Music (including percussion) but not marching / VA? REALLY odd...but not in DCI I guess. Only the good drill / music and communication is reaching the box?!?

This coming weekend will be interesting to say the least. GO BLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Like 1

Tie GE but 4th in Visual - ok?!? I think some wanted to call the show -

But hey I guess that is a normal thing and is explained by . . . . . purely conustruction?!?

According to recaps - So the feet are bad causing bad musical moments and since construction is bad or is maxed out, the musical moments are staged wrong so music / instrumentation is all wrong / balance is bad and staging and marching execution causes a bad read of Brass and Percussion..................OH Wait - won music / as well as percussion.........I see.........oh ok. So Tie High GE, WIn Music and sub Percussion...

But hey that makes sense?!?! NOT - I never heard of winning GE and Music (including percussion) but not marching / VA? REALLY odd...but not in DCI I guess. Only the good drill / music and communication is reaching the box?!?

This coming weekend will be interesting to say the least. GO BLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Switch to decaf on your after-dinner coffee.

• Like 5

Congratulations Bluecoats on a performance tonight that I would think each of you will remember the rest of your life. The ovation you received from this crowd, well before the show was over, was most deserving. The last time I heard a crowd react to the end of a show like this was Phantom Regiments Spartacus show...and they had to kill their DM to get it.

Enjoy Indy. I have no doubt the Bluecoats scoring record is about to have a new high mark...maybe chaning all three nights!!!

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 1

Bloo better worry about SCV catching them because they (SCV) are closer to Bloo than Bloo is to Cadets and no one is even close to BD.

Lots of innovative shows on the field in 2014 - however during the second half of the season, it is good to see mostly all judges using the sub captions as they're intended. Performance is performance no matter what the content or repertoire is and design / demand / exposure / content is just what those words mean!!
As someone else said, performance level does play into the content, etc sub caption. A GOOD judge will realize that and give the credit, or not give credit as it is due.

The "anomaly" this season has been the GE caption. Depending on the judge, scores have been all over the map for EVERYONE. The intent of the NEW GE sheets is not being utilized as laid out in March 2014 by DCI and Archbishop Cesario. Unfortunately, the judges coming from more of a WGI aspect who are judging GE are weighting the visual aspects way more than the musical aspects, and the scores prove it. Is that good or bad? If the same "scoring trend" continues in 2015, it's bad. If not, then the tweaking of the GE caption will serve the activity well.

Edited by victorcoly
  • Like 2

victorcoly gets it. This whole movement to WGI on the field is bad for DCI. The battery features are very much indoor drill and sound design w/ the electronics, and I get that because movement and velocity is more demanding. But when the actual music becomes synthetic and sounds like a WGI show I'm turned off. The judging is going to go more and more that direction, sadly. I haven't went to a show in about 5 years because I just don't get the goosebumps anymore.

As for the coats use of the synth this year, I think it's almost great. In the closer they should turn the keyboard volume down a bit so it's not blatantly obvious when the bend takes place. And that last loud chord, man is the keyboard loud! They should use it to flavor the music, not overpower the horns. It all may sound different in the dome so I'll reserve judgement until Finals.

I do enjoy what they did with the closer though, especially that last pitch bend up on the keyboard for the 3 bar power chord. So much more satisfying than the drum feature and tilty triangles. I still think they need to do a tiny pitch bend with the horns... maybe after the long hold fizzle out the horns and tilt the horns posture further?? If your entire masterpiece rests on a single theme like tilting, every movement needs to reflect that. Regardless I'm glad their show is being rewarded by the judges. And that drumline!!