The Cadets - 2014

ok cool. not trying to be defensive - I'll PM you the link. Cadets had some issues and the no french horn solo moment was a little sad...

Additionally, Cadets pierced 87 overall last night, including a .2 percussion gain from Pipitone compared with the previous night; so their trajectory seems to be solid. Ultimately, contingent on the impact of any additions to the emotional content of the show, I think they will need to be surgically clean in early August to hang with Bloo, Crown and BD.

I think it is kind of sad that on the Cadets thread mostly all anyone has talked about for days are scores and placement. Even when talking about show content it is mostly in the context of how it impacts scores.

Much more than how enjoyable the show is or isn't, what you are getting out of it and so on, score and placement seem to be the focus. And people talking about whether they should be 'worried' or 'lose hope' and so forth. Really?

There was a time I thought of the Cadets as more about challenging themselves and being the best they can be and, despite a few arguably bad choices over the course of many years, as entertaining as they can be too. Was I always wrong about that? Or has something changed? Or are their actual priorities or philosophy just not well represented of late on this thread?

It is just something to think about. If anyone thinks this post is anti-cadet, they have really missed my point.

Yep, I saw that run on Wednesday and it was fuzzy. Holes just look terrible especially with an ultra exposed Cadets drill. All those cream legs and then GAP/GAP.

I did look through the lack luster performance and did like some of the changes, extension of final chords, body movement in areas that I thought were getting stale so I see positives in the video despite it being a very low shot of them on a bumpy grassy field and a meh performance. When are these kids going back into the show? Some of those blanks (2 brass, 2 percussion and 2 guard seem persistent)?..

Edited by theCHEZman

I think it is kind of sad that on the Cadets thread mostly all anyone has talked about for days are scores and placement. Even when talking about show content it is mostly in the context of how it impacts scores.

Much more than how enjoyable the show is or isn't, what you are getting out of it and so on, score and placement seem to be the focus. And people talking about whether they should be 'worried' or 'lose hope' and so forth. Really?

There was a time I thought of the Cadets as more about challenging themselves and being the best they can be and, despite a few arguably bad choices over the course of many years, as entertaining as they can be too. Was I always wrong about that? Or has something changed? Or are their actual priorities or philosophy just not well represented of late on this thread?

It is just something to think about. If anyone thinks this post is anti-cadet, they have really missed my point.

i think they are all what you thought they were but at the same time extremely competitive. it is a competition.

I also didnt think you were being anti cadet. just making an observation from your view

I think it is more of the view that this year there is so much competition at the top, people are worried that Cadets won't be able to pull off their show. But this season has shown that they are MORE THAN CAPABLE of hanging with the "big boys"(and last time I checked, they do have 10 championships and have had multiple entertaining shows). Also, I do believe people should stop apologizing for liking Cadets show, being a honk about Cadets show, or having the opinion that Cadets can pull this show off. It's getting annoying that some people feel they have to apologize for their positive opinion of this show.

• Like 1

Well, we all tend to look at scores as a quantifiable critique of the show. If Cadets were undefeated and beat BD by 1.5 the other night, there would be more praising of the show by more than there is now. I personally think they will be 2-3 at finals. They will be extremely clean, very competitive in the captions and if the correct changes are made, they will stay strong in GE which they currently are. Can they win, maybe, can they come in 4th, maybe but I could say the same about 3 of the top 4.

Is there a video of the last show from the other night??

I get that it is a competition, but it is more than JUST a competition. Placement is also discussed on Blue Devils, Crown and Bluecoats boards but it isn't the only thing they talk about there. There are people talking about their emotional reactions and impressions of the show. People sometimes say BD only cares about scores, but it isn't the only thing they are talking about. Crown is the corps on the bubble to be unseated, but it isn't the only thing they are talking about. A win for Bloo would be the first in their history, but it isn't the only thing they are talking about.

Lately on this thread, placement seems to be the only thing people are talking about. I'm just thinking itcould lead one to wonder if the Cadets as an organization place more emphasis on placement than those other corps, which would have to mean they place less emphasis on other things like the experience, entertainment, character and so forth. I would not have thought that to be the case, but someone coming in here without more perspective, like a 17 year old wondering which corps he might aspire to be a member of, might draw that conclusion.

Hopkins once basically said, a long time ago, that it is NOT about the competition. It just leads me to wonder whether the corps philosophy has changed or whether this thread just doesn't happen to be very representative of the corps philiosophy.

I get that it is a competition, but it is more than JUST a competition. Placement is also discussed on Blue Devils, Crown and Bluecoats boards but it isn't the only thing they talk about there. There are people talking about their emotional reactions and impressions of the show. People sometimes say BD only cares about scores, but it isn't the only thing they are talking about. Crown is the corps on the bubble to be unseated, but it isn't the only thing they are talking about. A win for Bloo would be the first in their history, but it isn't the only thing they are talking about.

Lately on this thread, placement seems to be the only thing people are talking about. I'm just thinking itcould lead one to wonder if the Cadets as an organization place more emphasis on placement than those other corps, which would have to mean they place less emphasis on other things like the experience, entertainment, character and so forth. I would not have thought that to be the case, but someone coming in here without more perspective, like a 17 year old wondering which corps he might aspire to be a member of, might draw that conclusion.

Hopkins once basically said, a long time ago, that it is NOT about the competition. It just leads me to wonder whether the corps philosophy has changed or whether this thread just doesn't happen to be very representative of the corps philiosophy.

who are you saying is saying this..members, Hop, staff? or is it just fans, alumni, people in general..not sure the who is,..maybe i missed it...sorry

Um...

We are FANS on this thread, and we are rooting for them to WIN as this is a competition and we want them to do well. I'm not hearing this from the staff, director or members. But frankly I'm pretty sure they'd prefer winning to losing as well

The purpose of competition "is to push one another down the path toward excellence" so I really think the two "topics" aren't mutually exclusive

That said - a lot of my own comments have been about the corps addressing the lack of "wow" moments - which has as much or more to do with the enjoyment of the performance as the score.

Anyway - not really sure what else where supposed to be talking about in the 36 hours following their first loss of the season. We know the corps is being instructed well, fed well and transported safely - so what's left?