The Cadets - 2014

And I imagine there's someone in the world that has BD finishing 7th on their fantasy Drum Corps sheet. Ha!

Anyhow, obviously a BD v. Cadets showdown is going to give us a lot more information. In fact, BD meeting up with the rest of the current "in the running" group (Cadets, Crown, Coats) is my most highly-anticipating match-up of the year. The one blip on the radar that gives me some pause is that Cadets are the closer to over-achieving their visual design than anyone else in their tier. Obviously this is said with full knowledge that sections of the content package will change, as they always do. I don't doubt their ability to move the goal-posts on the show further back.

While I am openly Cadets-biased, I think BD is the 800 pound gorilla in the room....so much design talent, and they execute, period! The contrast in shows this year is interesting.....judging apples vs cumquats.

Having viewed the sectionals and ensemble rehearsal at Lenape yesterday, it was cool to see that many of the details they attended to made a difference in the solidity of ensemble in the show. It doesn't seem humanly possible to outwork them, and the specificity and efficiency of focus in rehearsal is a veritable clinic....awesome stuff!

I sure would love to meet some of you people who come out to see the Cadets rehearse. Ask for me.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

While I am openly Cadets-biased, I think BD is the 800 pound gorilla in the room....so much design talent, and they execute, period! The contrast in shows this year is interesting.....judging apples vs cumquats.

We'll get our first real indication of BD's threat level tomorrow when they face off against the Coats. The spread there should give us a clearer picture.

• Like 1

And I imagine there's someone in the world that has BD finishing 7th on their fantasy Drum Corps sheet. Ha!

Anyhow, obviously a BD v. Cadets showdown is going to give us a lot more information. In fact, BD meeting up with the rest of the current "in the running" group (Cadets, Crown, Coats) is my most highly-anticipating match-up of the year. The one blip on the radar that gives me some pause is that Cadets are the closer to over-achieving their visual design than anyone else in their tier. Obviously this is said with full knowledge that sections of the content package will change, as they always do. I don't doubt their ability to move the goal-posts on the show further back.

Yesterday I had a chance to talk with the Cadet's drill designer and I asked him was he concerned about how clean they were for this time of year? He looked at me smiled and say, "they're not clean". The fact that the Cadets are still unbeaten while the other challengers have made some changes says the Cadets are sitting in a very good position. Once the TOC begins we will all know who sits atop the leader board.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Yesterday I had a chance to talk with the Cadet's drill designer and I asked him was he concerned about how clean they were for this time of year? He looked at me smiled and say, "they're not clean". The fact that the Cadets are still unbeaten while the other challengers have made some changes says the Cadets are sitting in a very good position. Once the TOC begins we will all know who sits atop the leader board.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

There is a wider content-to-achievement gap in the visual analysis and proficiency for Crown and Bluecoats, indicating a greater amount of room to "clean" their programs, especially since, with this latest score, Cadets are apparently out-achieving the visual content. For the purposes of judging, "clean" is what the judge perceives it to be, and currently they think Cadets are clean. Not *pristine*, mind you, but clean. Or at least clean enough that demand is suffering. That's what I was getting at, anyway. Obviously I do not believe the Cadets are executing their program flawlessly. It's just something to watch out for when achievement scores outpace content.

This is all very niggling, of course. There is no chance Cadets will get to the end of the season without changes, and those changes will inevitably be very good ones that add to the complexity of the program. It will, as always, come down to a race of "who can clean their changes the best". I am anticipating San Antonio greatly as it will be my first chance to see everyone live. Fan Network is great and all, but I know it isn't giving me the whole picture. Gotta have that live experience!

• Like 3

There is a wider content-to-achievement gap in the visual analysis and proficiency for Crown and Bluecoats, indicating a greater amount of room to "clean" their programs, especially since, with this latest score, Cadets are apparently out-achieving the visual content. For the purposes of judging, "clean" is what the judge perceives it to be, and currently they think Cadets are clean. Not *pristine*, mind you, but clean. Or at least clean enough that demand is suffering. That's what I was getting at, anyway. Obviously I do not believe the Cadets are executing their program flawlessly. It's just something to watch out for when achievement scores outpace content.

This is all very niggling, of course. There is no chance Cadets will get to the end of the season without changes, and those changes will inevitably be very good ones that add to the complexity of the program. It will, as always, come down to a race of "who can clean their changes the best". I am anticipating San Antonio greatly as it will be my first chance to see everyone live. Fan Network is great and all, but I know it isn't giving me the whole picture. Gotta have that live experience!

And if Cadets are relatively "clean" from a judging standpoint at this point in the game, one can only imagine how much better they will be in a month.

The analogy is a good one, two totally different programming styles. However, I don't think BD has the visual demand (other than the last 3 min. of their program) as do the Cadets, Crown or Bluecoats and they definitely do not march as clean either. Design is a whole different discussion, just talking execution.

The back panels appear new, they already were using the front.

Read on Hop FB that they're holding back the uni changes until after this week, apparently.

The back panels appear new, they already were using the front.

Read on Hop FB that they're holding back the uni changes until after this week, apparently.

I think they want to add for first regional and make sure the changes are clean.