The Cadets - 2014

seems you're so quick to jump on somebody you don't read. the guy asked me to give an example of non-sappy Americana. I said nothing. But if you'd like to know my take on the show, go to the Cadets' page and READ.

??? Isn't this the cadets page ??? :sarcasm:

So then they come around this year, they have a great speaker, and rely almost entirely on great Presidential speeches (even if you nitpick a few changed lines), but it's still unacceptable to some people.

Those guys posting here about superficial patriotism kind of have a point if the very words that the show is based on can be faked for better impact moments.

I agree with you, the narration is way better than it has been, especially in 2007 when it ruined one of the best openers of all time.

But that mashup of recorded presidential voices is .. not good. Just like in 2012, we're getting close to the end, let's throw together unrelated sound clips devoid of context (the speaking in Lincoln Portrait works because the audience has time to reflect on the historical context of the speeches). These kinds of mashups just substitute for the hard design work of creating a buildup using music.

My feeling about about being a good American and Americana is leading by example or practicing what you preach, not yelling in someone's face about your convictions.

Hpyed up emotion is just not my thing. And George Hopkins has more than a couple times tried to win shows using this technique.

There ya go !! Finally let the truth be told !! A true blue Hopkins hater !! Now it makes perfect sense... :doh:

They have no emotional connection and it shows in their playing and marching. They're clean. #### clean. They could not be executing higher. But I feel absolutely no emotion from their hornline and percussion. It's like a 150 member robot army is performing a marching show.

This. is. exactly. the. way. it. strikes. me.

I was really looking forward to this show, as I love Copland and normally love Cadets beautiful arrangements. But it just doesn't connect with me emotionally. I wonder if that isn't mostly the reason it is not doing especially well with the crowds, all unrepresentative comments and defensive accusations on DCP aside.

This. is. exactly. the. way. it. strikes. me.

I was really looking forward to this show, as I love Copland and normally love Cadets beautiful arrangements. But it just doesn't connect with me emotionally. I wonder if that isn't mostly the reason it is not doing especially well with the crowds, all unrepresentative comments and defensive accusations on DCP aside.

Have you seen it live? Just curious.

I hate Americana. The only "Americana" I have ever liked was Cadets 1996. Americana shows from any corps just gets too "wear the flag on my sleeve" for me.

Still. There are quite a few things I enjoy about Cadets show this year, but also quite a few things I do not. But to constantly make a point of pointing out the negative without pointing out any of the positive gets annoying. Not saying you are a culprit. Just speaking in general.

Oh, I loved Cadets 1995 too. Man than bass drum thing was outstanding! I kinda look at it as honoring the troops ( yall) and paying homage to the ideas of our history. Plus some of the music is really cool too.

I enjoy quite a few things about Cadets '14, but I'll call out the problems too. Certainly those problems are more design related than performance, so everyone should know I'm addressing the designers and those who control the designers more than anything else.

Those guys posting here about superficial patriotism kind of have a point if the very words that the show is based on can be faked for better impact moments.

I agree with you, the narration is way better than it has been, especially in 2007 when it ruined one of the best openers of all time.

But that mashup of recorded presidential voices is .. not good. Just like in 2012, we're getting close to the end, let's throw together unrelated sound clips devoid of context (the speaking in Lincoln Portrait works because the audience has time to reflect on the historical context of the speeches). These kinds of mashups just substitute for the hard design work of creating a buildup using music.

Bingo. If I was already doubtful of the narration, that design clutter mashup of stuff at the end totally ruins an otherwise great part of the show. I bet it got them 2 extra points though.

Oh, I loved Cadets 1995 too. Man than bass drum thing was outstanding! I kinda look at it as honoring the troops ( yall) and paying homage to the ideas of our history. Plus some of the music is really cool too.

I enjoy quite a few things about Cadets '14, but I'll call out the problems too. Certainly those problems are more design related than performance, so everyone should know I'm addressing the designers and those who control the designers more than anything else.

Very well said. And I agree on all counts.

Not sure how that's relevant. Many corps are able to convey emotion over video just fine.

Ultimately people who want to listen to this show will listen to a recording, not see it live.

No. Wish I had the opportunity to see them all live this year. Wish I was in Atlanta right now. It is hard to believe it would make THAT much difference to what I am speaking of though. And the audiences that are seeing it live don't seem to be exactly eating it up so....

Look, if the show is connecting with some people emotionally I think that is great. The more the better for DCI. I would certainly never tell them they are wrong. Different people connect with different things. But suffice it to say I was relieved to hear someone else say what I was feeling. Or not feeling, as the case may be.