Blue Stars 2014 "Where the Heart Is"

Stu--just don't watch the Blue Stars. Forget they exist. Take your bull$%^& elsewhere. Stop trying to hammer the same square peg into a round hole. These are not the droids you're looking for.....

I'm rarely so annoyed on DCP, but this seems to crystalize why I frequently hear current DCI members saying they hate this community.

• Like 3

Stu--just don't watch the Blue Stars. Forget they exist. Take your bull$%^& elsewhere. Stop trying to hammer the same square peg into a round hole. These are not the droids you're looking for.....

I'm rarely so annoyed on DCP, but this seems to crystalize why I frequently hear current DCI members saying they hate this community.

Agree. Thread hijacking sucks. Here's to another great year for the Blue Stars.

Love the source music, but I'm not entirely sure about this. My band (yes, band. Just hear me out) played Home (Phil Phillips) this year as a part of a major parade. IT takes a very special arranger to translate this sort of piece to the Marching Music idiom. We happened to have an arranger (who up until very recently had been arranging for a world class corps) who could do this, and made it sound not like a bad marching band arrangement, but something you would want to listen to. I love Saucedo's work ('02 Cavies and '12 Carmel are some of my favorite shows ever in each of their respective activities), but I certainly hope he is up to the challenge of arranging Home, as it seems like it will play a large part in the show. I think he will knock it out of the park on Chairman Dances though (love me some Adams).

I don't think I'll be able to enjoy the Blue Stars 2014 show due to the false statement included in their show title. As everyone knows, the heart is located in the mediastinum, not the home. Duh.

I don't think I'll be able to enjoy the Blue Stars 2014 show due to the false statement included in their show title. As everyone knows, the heart is located in the mediastinum, not the home. Duh.

Nice try a poking with a sarcastic stick; however... Whether or not the word Heart is to be taken as the literal physical object located in the mediastinum or to be taken as emotional character and feelings depends on the contextual use of the word. The various definitions in Webster's Dictionary of the word Heart which are contextually applicable to the Blue Stars Show concept are as follows:

4 : The emotional or moral as distinguished from the intellectual nature

a : generous disposition : compassion <a leader with heart>

b : love, affection <won his or her heart>

c : courage, ardor <never lost heart>

5: One's innermost character, feelings, or inclinations <knew it in his heart> <a man or woman after my own heart>

Nice try a poking with a sarcastic stick; however... Whether or not the word Heart is to be taken as the literal physical object located in the mediastinum or to be taken as emotional character and feelings depends on the contextual use of the word. The various definitions in Webster's Dictionary of the word Heart which are contextually applicable to the Blue Stars Show concept are as follows:

4 : The emotional or moral as distinguished from the intellectual nature

a : generous disposition : compassion <a leader with heart>

b : love, affection <won his or her heart>

c : courage, ardor <never lost heart>

5: One's innermost character, feelings, or inclinations <knew it in his heart> <a man or woman after my own heart>

Lighten up, Francis-- it was a joke. :smile:

• Like 3

Love the source music, but I'm not entirely sure about this. My band (yes, band. Just hear me out) played Home (Phil Phillips) this year as a part of a major parade. IT takes a very special arranger to translate this sort of piece to the Marching Music idiom. We happened to have an arranger (who up until very recently had been arranging for a world class corps) who could do this, and made it sound not like a bad marching band arrangement, but something you would want to listen to. I love Saucedo's work ('02 Cavies and '12 Carmel are some of my favorite shows ever in each of their respective activities), but I certainly hope he is up to the challenge of arranging Home, as it seems like it will play a large part in the show. I think he will knock it out of the park on Chairman Dances though (love me some Adams).

Questioning Saucedo on his arranging abilities. That made me chuckle.

Good luck to the Blue Stars this year. I'm sure the music will sound fantastic, and I cannot wait to see it live!

Questioning Saucedo on his arranging abilities. That made me chuckle.

Good luck to the Blue Stars this year. I'm sure the music will sound fantastic, and I cannot wait to see it live!

I've never heard anything pop arranged by him. If you care to point me towards something I will gladly reevaluate my opinion. :)

I have been to many Summer Shakespeare Festival productions where they place the play in a modern setting, yet the actual story remains intact. The same type of situation holds true for the 2009 Troopers; they took a 20th century story and placed it in an 19th century setting yet kept the story-line intact. They also did not use any music which created a non-sequitur to the story-line.

in other words, like a politician, you can rationalize anything to fit your argument.

• Like 2