DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

Anyone who hasn't been happy with synths, should welcome this change as you'll be hearing real instruments instead of synthesized voices they mimmick being. I think this is potentially a very good change for drum corps.

What? No you won't. I see no end to synths. The only difference now will be people saying, "I can't hear the trombones through the thunderous goo"

I know that many people will probably hate me for this, but I actually don't care.

Remember the overwhelmingly negative reaction crown's uniform got? How did that turn out?

It was awful, that's how it worked out.

Of course, of course reward was given from a small group of "artistic" judges to a small group of "artistic" designers making some obscure statement with their work of "art"

thank you for posting JD Shaw's comments in the thread... I actually agree with most of them.

However, what I don't agree with, is the idea that "the fans will decide" if something doesn't work and then the designers will stop.

that hasn't worked at all for electronics. designers just keep giving people the giant middle finger instead.

• Like 2

thank you for posting JD Shaw's comments in the thread... I actually agree with most of them.

However, what I don't agree with, is the idea that "the fans will decide" if something doesn't work and then the designers will stop.

that hasn't worked at all for electronics. designers just keep giving people the giant middle finger instead.

i think maybe there could be some truth to what you think..at least to some degree BUT as far as the electronics with DCA now adapting them they are here to stay SO what cant some move on..obviously if it trickled over to DCA there seems to be ( and maybe Im wrong ) but seems to be more accept than dont...we just always seem to hear from the nay sayers and thats kind of normal in most activities

Edited by GUARDLING

i think maybe there could be some truth to what you think..at least to some degree BUT as far as the electronics with DCA now adapting them they are here to stay SO what cant some move on..obviously if it trickled over to DCA there seems to be ( and maybe Im wrong ) but seems to be more accept than dont...we just always seem to hear from the nay sayers and thats kind of normal in most activities

I am speaking mostly about amp volumes that are way out of balance... I do think most people tolerate the small electronic flourishes and even the pit mics.

Why don't all of you dinosaurs just get over yourselves? The people who are actually PARTICIPATING in the activity rather than just posting on DCP want this. The change will correct and adjust itself for utilization. Most baritone players are trombonists by nature. Oh, how awful it would be to have a section of them show us what they could REALLY do! Same with French Horn players who switch to mellophone. Oh no! We might actually hear what these talented individuals can give us on their NATURAL instruments? Puh-lease! We are a niche activity with niche fan base that changes very little over time. And if you claim that THIS will keep you away, you are not fans in the first place. Be a fan of the kids. It is not about the instruments, the rules, the judging system, the electronics, or anything else. It has always been and always will be about the kids!

Why don't all of you dinosaurs just get over yourselves? The people who are actually PARTICIPATING in the activity rather than just posting on DCP want this. The change will correct and adjust itself for utilization. Most baritone players are trombonists by nature. Oh, how awful it would be to have a section of them show us what they could REALLY do! Same with French Horn players who switch to mellophone. Oh no! We might actually hear what these talented individuals can give us on their NATURAL instruments? Puh-lease! We are a niche activity with niche fan base that changes very little over time. And if you claim that THIS will keep you away, you are not fans in the first place. Be a fan of the kids. It is not about the instruments, the rules, the judging system, the electronics, or anything else. It has always been and always will be about the kids!

Yeah. Kids with only their parents in the crowd. Good job. Way to disenfranchise your niche audience.

• Like 3

Which is where Drum Corps used to fill the gap. Remember, Cavaliers started as the Chicago Cavaliers. Bayonne Bridgemen, Revere MA 27th Lancers, etc etc. There may be more units (called HS Competitive Marching Bands) performing in the same style as DCI corps, but there is a population that used to be served by corps that now is not served.

And, I believe society is worse for it.

Inner city corps were failing before DCI came along. Think of some of the corps from Newark NJ, for instance, that never made it to the DCI era. St Joes, St Martin's and St Lucy's come to mind right off the top. Corpsreps would show more. Blessed Sac barely made it, and by 1972 they were a shadow of heir former glory. How many NYC area corps failed before DCI? Corps from Paterson, Jersey City, Bayonne? St Kevin's, St Vinnies, Loretto, the Queensmen, NY Kingsmen...the list goes on and on.

The urban corps of the 50's and 60's absolutely were a valuable outlet for the kids in the cities, but their failure wasn't the fault of DCI, or the thousands of competitive bands that exist today. The fact remains that more kids are competing in marching/music than ever did back in the day.

• Like 1