DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

same with Boy Scouts, CYOs, American Legions, VFWs, Boys and Girls clubs Community clubs...etc etc..........different world...............Although I do think HS band participation has increased and a much higher quality from BITD

From wikpedia concerning Boys and Girls clubs:

"The Club's former president, Roxanne Spillett, received a base salary in 2011 of $455,829 with an additional $116,000 bonus and $1.2 million in deferred compensation and retirement making her one of the highest paid executives for a charitable organization in the United States"

and

"In total these clubs serve over four million boys and girls. Clubs can be found in all fifty states as well as locations in Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and US Military Bases. In total, Boys & Girls Clubs of America employ about 50,000 staff members."

I cannot find historical numbers for comparison, but it would seem there is plenty of market for philanthropic associations that serve youth.

OK. just getting some details, mainly for people who only know their own area and think it's the same all over. In general I couldn't answer numbers but Harrisburg area had the competitive MB start taking off in the 80s or so. And the city district go down the toilet big time a little later...

Thinking about Harrisburg SD on the drive home and first the city took over the SD because (supposedly) the School Board couldn't handle it. Some think the mayor for life just wanted more control over everything in the city. Then mayor for life did not get re-elected and the rumors about the city being broke were found to be true. Next mayor fired the previous mayors school head in such a way there is a million dollar lawsuit pending unless it was handled hush-hush. New mayors school head missed the cutoff on Federal grants and lost couple of $100,000 in aid money. Then someone complained about it and last time mayour and school board talked without lawyers present.

Now have a new mayor (since 1/1/2014) and someone needs to remind him that with all the work being done on the city bankruptcy proceedings they still have a school district to run.

wow!!!!

Ive also been pretty darn lucky with HS programs..some with budgets that have very few limits...of course ive taught a few with no budgets......lol but also it was more of a huge alumni and parent support for the money , not the school districts and of course pretty high dues for the kids

What about Blast? Professional musicians, indoor on a stage. They're all mic'd up.

Blast is "brass theater" ( yes, there's a sorta joke here: When Star left, it was Brass theater for a couple of years, then became blast!). It's not drum corps. Different venue. Different requirements and expectations. It's very good.

Is this what DCI wants to become? Brass theater on a grander stage? I mean some of BD's shows have me wondering, PLAN9!

Edited by jjeffeory

What about Blast? Professional musicians, indoor on a stage. They're all mic'd up.

Sure, just like a rock band or a jazz band. But not a drum corps, of which Blast! is merely an echo.

Loved that New Era show, saw it live several times!

Yes, the frenchies are difficult to play and play in tune. The instruments had their quirks; so do concert french horns. That's why there are double, triple, and double-compensating french horns to get around troubled notes ( and why people had to use so many alternate fingerings)

Of course with the marching versions, I'd bet those were single horns...

Still, they added a unique sound to a corps hornline that is missing today.

The difficulty to get them in tune was the reason they ditched them. Bad resale market and hard to work with them.

That New Era show was awesome. Short Ride was such a cool opener. Same with the Dello Joio ballad

I watched the vintage footage posted on dci.org yesterday of the 1955 Madison Scouts. I think it's obvious that drum corps has, overall, gone in the right direction - in spite of navigating in ever-chaning times. I know you can't compare 1955 to the present. But, if you consider the evolution of the activity to the product that's on today's field, I don't think you can lay a strong argument otherwise.

I don't think you're going to see wholesale changes to on-field instrumentation. However, if we do, I think we can expect it to improve the sound and sight of the show.

Do you have a link, can't find it. OR is it on FN?

Nevermind found on YT - now need time to watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNI4fQRJAMY

Edited by JimF-LowBari

From wikpedia concerning Boys and Girls clubs:

"The Club's former president, Roxanne Spillett, received a base salary in 2011 of $455,829 with an additional $116,000 bonus and $1.2 million in deferred compensation and retirement making her one of the highest paid executives for a charitable organization in the United States"

and

"In total these clubs serve over four million boys and girls. Clubs can be found in all fifty states as well as locations in Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and US Military Bases. In total, Boys & Girls Clubs of America employ about 50,000 staff members."

I cannot find historical numbers for comparison, but it would seem there is plenty of market for philanthropic associations that serve youth.

and what did they serve back in the day? I do know boy scouts is 1/2 the amount from bitd...cant remember where i read that just recently.....community clubs either way CYOs church support all which contributed in one way or another is non exsistant today...i guess thats the point im making

The difficulty to get them in tune was the reason they ditched them. Bad resale market and hard to work with them.

That New Era show was awesome. Short Ride was such a cool opener. Same with the Dello Joio ballad

So do you think this is "a" reason why concert french horns were desired this year; because the marching frenchies weren't up to snuff and they wanted that little bit of color that the french horn has over mellophone? Why not just keep refining the marching ones like they have with the trumpets?

I'm sure they could be resold to some high schools who already use marching french horns.

I enjoyed SCV's version of Short Ride 200x times more than Cadets 1991 version of Short Ride. Plus, you can hear the frenchies in SCV, where there were non with Cadets in 1991. It's a little "raw power".

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

So do you think this is "a" reason why concert french horns were desired this year; because the marching frenchies weren't up to snuff and they wanted that little bit of color that the french has over mellophone? Why not just keep refining the marching ones like they have with the trumpets?

Yes it is a reason. Marching French Horns don't have much resale value, but every school has a bunch of Concert French Horns kicking around. So they already have the instrument to add color to the sound, instead of needing to go buy a new set of Marching French Horns and tweaking them to try and sound as good as the Concert ones already sound. The Marching ones were kind of the last link to the raw sound of the G hornlines.

• Like 1

I enjoyed SCV's version of Short Ride 200x times more than Cadets 1991 version of Short Ride. Plus, you can hear the frenchies in SCV, where there were non with Cadets in 1991. It's a little "raw power".

And there was only 4 Marching French Horn players in that line. 8 mellos and 4 Frenchies. That version of Short Ride was awesome, much more original, with tons of power behind it.