DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

i just mean in general BUT I do think alot of inner city programs are all but gone...marching band ( competitive ) is far greater IMO.....and although still a stigma to it....far more popular than BITD...there's some huge HS bands out there and smaller great quality ones also....I teach a few bands literally with waiting lists to get in r kids standing on sidelines waiting for someone to screw up to get in...didnt see that BITD...at least I didnt....I never would have marched in my HS band...lol

We had 40 alternates in my marching band back in the late 80s. ...I've seen other bands with alternates as well. It's the sign of a pretty good program and not that uncommon.

I think it depends on what the director wants to teach.

1) Hard work an improvement gets you a spot in the show.

2) Everyone gets a spot.

Edited by jjeffeory

It wasn't me. When the change happened, I found out about it when the links I posted were taken down. I'm not comfortable pointing fingers, but I sincerely hope things will change in the near future. I still like coming here as it's a great way of communing with other fans and learning what they're thinking. I just can't post links to the other site anymore, and if others post links, they too will be removed. I hold nothing against anyone for this reality, but I do wish things were different. In the meantime, please continue to check out the other website for what I write on a weekly basis and for other informative info, and please continue to patronize DCP because there are a lot of great people here who deserve your support.

Thanks Michael

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

Well, I guess if "drum corps is marching band," as some have offered, then "marching band is drum corps." It goes along with my need for some spiritual symmetry in the world. :)

Michael,

That would be a two way transitive property versus a one way transitive property. Looks like we're getting closer and closer to the two way type...

• Like 1

We had 40 alternates in my marching band back in the late 80s. ...I've seen other bands with alternates as well. It's the sign of a pretty good program and not that uncommon.

I think it depends on what the director wants to teach.

1) Hard work an improvement gets you a spot in the show.

2) Everyone gets a spot.

yep agree....im thinking further back though..lol...with many here the 80s are still the youngsters...lol..i know funny

We also had a line of marching french horns in The Cavaliers in '90 to play the lower middle voice part; they had a line of frenchies in '93 too.

And SCV had them in 2001. Still pretty darn recent.

...but drum corps didn't used to need to use microphones. And was all the more impressive thereby.

What about Blast? Professional musicians, indoor on a stage. They're all mic'd up.

yep agree....im thinking further back though..lol...with many here the 80s are still the youngsters...lol..i know funny

Funny!

Oh come on, alternates have been around forever!

i just mean in general BUT I do think alot of inner city programs are all but gone...marching band ( competitive ) is far greater IMO.....and although still a stigma to it....far more popular than BITD...there's some huge HS bands out there and smaller great quality ones also....I teach a few bands literally with waiting lists to get in r kids standing on sidelines waiting for someone to screw up to get in...didnt see that BITD...at least I didnt....I never would have marched in my HS band...lol

OK. just getting some details, mainly for people who only know their own area and think it's the same all over. In general I couldn't answer numbers but Harrisburg area had the competitive MB start taking off in the 80s or so. And the city district go down the toilet big time a little later...

Thinking about Harrisburg SD on the drive home and first the city took over the SD because (supposedly) the School Board couldn't handle it. Some think the mayor for life just wanted more control over everything in the city. Then mayor for life did not get re-elected and the rumors about the city being broke were found to be true. Next mayor fired the previous mayors school head in such a way there is a million dollar lawsuit pending unless it was handled hush-hush. New mayors school head missed the cutoff on Federal grants and lost couple of $100,000 in aid money. Then someone complained about it and last time mayour and school board talked without lawyers present.

Now have a new mayor (since 1/1/2014) and someone needs to remind him that with all the work being done on the city bankruptcy proceedings they still have a school district to run.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

the bottom line still reamins...if you dislike it this much, stop going. if you want to flex your muscles, all DCI will respond to is lost income.

'

I'll lay odds most #####ing on here will still go.

• Like 2

And SCV had them in 2001. Still pretty darn recent.

Loved that New Era show, saw it live several times!

Yes, the frenchies are difficult to play and play in tune. The instruments had their quirks; so do concert french horns. That's why there are double, triple, and double-compensating french horns to get around troubled notes ( and why people had to use so many alternate fingerings)

Of course with the marching versions, I'd bet those were single horns...

Still, they added a unique sound to a corps hornline that is missing today.